Mobile Phone as Sat Nav for Green Laning

Reports, meets and other stuff on how to trash the bike with a grin on your chops.
Hugh

Re: Mobile Phone as Sat Nav for Green Laning

Post by Hugh »

Greetings,

I too use a Motorola G3 mobile, which is supposed to be waterproof. It certainly has resisted water getting into my pocket and it has been dropped a number of times too. I keep it in an impact backing case and use a protector screen.

I use 'HERE' as sat nav both in the car and whilst walking around towns, brilliant product and it is free. I have on occasion used ViewRanger as a running backup to my paper maps but kept the phone in my pocket.

TTFN

Hugh.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

is 3G sufficient?
Paul_C

Post by Paul_C »

garyboy wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:15 pm is 3G sufficient?
I generally use software which allows you to download a map to the device. Sufficient memory is probably more of an issue. You can be sure the one occasion you really need detail you won't have a decent connection. All the phone has to do then is keep track of where it is. Most apps give you a few "free" maps so you can have a play. OsmAnd 7, LocusMaps 3.
Just along for the ride.
Husqvarna 901 Norden. Husqvarna 701 Enduro. Moto Guzzi LeMans II.
bowber

Post by bowber »

garyboy wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:15 pm is 3G sufficient?
I don't use a sim so the phone only connects over wifi and I have it in flight mode most of the time so it's not wasting battery searching for a signal.
As Paul_C said use software that had the maps downloaded, which most do, I use tomtom Go for road navigation and Viewranger for off road.

Also as far as I'm aware the phone can still be used to contact emergency services without a sim but I could be wrong on that one as I've never needed to.

Steve
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

thanks both for the replies .. but must admit I don't really understand .. which maps .. which phone type.

(I get the idea of the Montana .. but cannot afford that.)

memory map/ viewranger/ tyre/ gpx reader/ waypoints/ google maps/ bing maps/ OS maps/ sat nav/

what I want (wat I really really want) is a good clear map download that can be used for following a pre-set route (line) .. (`voice in the ear`directions would be good too)
bowber

Post by bowber »

This is the one I use

I'm not claiming it's the best as it's the only rugged phone I've used but it's been good over the last year and has navigated me around Europe no problem using the TomTom Go app. You have to pay a £15 yearly sub for TomTom Go but it's always updated and I've found the mapping to be reasonably up to date.
My wifes BV6000 has her brothers sim in at the moment as he's away on a long holiday and the phone lasts well over a week on standby.

TomTom Go apparently has a similar interface to their satnavs and I've found it to be very useful, especially the windy roads option. We set a few destinations, chose which route option and set off, last year we went from the Eifel region to the Black forest on back roads over 2 days with a route that took us through the Mosel and France, almost a straight line between the two. Me and my wife hate main roads so we always end up going down back roads and even forest tracks sometimes.

For off road navigation I've used Viewranger, but you don't get a turn by turn navigation for off road because the app doesn't know where the roads are, there's a lot of work goes into creating the maps for satnavs to work from so they're not going to bother with dirt tracks most of the time.
So with Viewranger you create a track and then it gives you a pointer and a warning if you stray from the track, most of the time this is fine as a trail is usually reasonably obvious. You can create the track in the app on the phone or online via a web browser.
You also have the option to use open street maps.

There are loads of other navigation apps but these are the ones I've used and to be honest I can't be bothered learning another unless something comes along that is head and shoulders above the rest.

Steve
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

Thanks for that. Steve. . It's slowly getting clearer ..
I got to work out .. SIM. SIM only. Micro SIM .SIM free .. I think I know but it's a bit muddled. I think I got a contract phone with mini SIM. The bv6000 has a micro SIM? So you need a contract?
Paul_C

Post by Paul_C »

If you have an unlocked phone you don't need a contract. Get a free SIM from somebody like GifGaf. Then either pay as you go or get a monthly "Goody Bag", they start at £5 a month.
Just along for the ride.
Husqvarna 901 Norden. Husqvarna 701 Enduro. Moto Guzzi LeMans II.
bowber

Post by bowber »

I don't have a sim in the phone, it is unlocked so i can fit any sim if I wanted but I've not bothered.
So to be clear, no sim at all and it's set in air-plane mode so it's not wasting battery searching for a signal.

Steve
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

o .. didn't realise you can work it without a sim :? :o

Return to “GREEN LANES, TRAILS and OFF-ROAD”