Green Lanes, TRF, Opinions

Reports, meets and other stuff on how to trash the bike with a grin on your chops.
HedgeHopper

Re: Green Lanes, TRF, Opinions

Post by HedgeHopper »

Yep, in general group rides mostly piss non-riders off, whether they are legal or not, doesn't change perceptions
I ride partly to get away from stuff and people anyway

Have been a TRF member for a just 3 years, but won't be renewing, partly because I think they are largely firing for effect whilst putting too much emphasis on self promotion enhanced by selective member censorship and partly because of the initiative where they recently joined with police to 'educate' non trf baddies............nah that's snitchy stuff, not for me
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

it was a big thing, a few years ago, in south wales, when the TRF failed to `save` the sarn (Sarn Helen trail) . the feeling locally was that the emphasis was on the peak district and England. .. It lost a lot of members .. good members.
Kipper

Post by Kipper »

HedgeHopper wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:11 pm Yep, in general group rides mostly piss non-riders off, whether they are legal or not, doesn't change perceptions
I ride partly to get away from stuff and people anyway

Have been a TRF member for a just 3 years, but won't be renewing, partly because I think they are largely firing for effect whilst putting too much emphasis on self promotion enhanced by selective member censorship and partly because of the initiative where they recently joined with police to 'educate' non trf baddies............nah that's snitchy stuff, not for me
We got this update from our local group TRF ROW guy:

Here's a recent example of how TRF funds and volunteer time are used to conserve our right to ride upon green roads:

1. Locals lobbied their county councillor for a TRO.
2. The county councillor leant on the ROW officers.
3. A report was produced and a TRO consultation begin.
4. TRF addressed the reasons for TRO in their objection.
5. The Council's legal team saw the risk in engaging TRF.
6. The good news is explained to the cabinet member.
7. An officer report is produced to keep things democratic. It basically says that there have been a very large number of objections from TRF and if they try to TRO it will most likely go to as Public Enquiry.
8. The cabinet member approves the report's recommendations.
9. Councillors decline to 'call in' the decision for scrutiny.
X. Motorcycle rights are conserved.

Selbourne 67 & Worldham 38 are now TRO to vehicles with three or more wheels, consistent with many other green roads within Hampshire. The original proposal would have unjustly prohibited motorcycle use.
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

The management of the TRF may not be ideal but, without the TRF, we are dead and buried.

The corny style of the PR push irritates the hell out of me but there is strength in numbers, as Kipper showed.
The TRF is the only route to protecting what we have but we can't win everything so there will be the odd lane that slips through and, in some cases, we don't have a prayer from the outset.

A bit more inclusiveness rather than the current divide and conquer would make people more supportive.
A number of superb members have been lost through disenchantment or, much much worse, people like Hugh who have been stupidly ejected.

I am Mr mild mannered but have been banned from the (good old, long lost) forum and threatened with expulsion for daring to query motives and alleged defamation.

That said, we have to fight the antis and, sadly, if reasoned discussion with local ROW people fails, expensive legal action is the only alternative.
We are lucky in Sussex. We have very few lanes but an excellent relationship with Highways and an almost blanket winter TRO exempts 2 wheelers and, in most cases, quads. Or lanes get horrendously muddy and the 4x4 lot just trash them in one weekend.

I have been close to not renewing over the last couple of years but, in the end, I feel I would be contributing to the downfall of trail riding if I did.
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
steve the grease

Post by steve the grease »

Thanks for your comments everyone . We seem to have come down in 2 camps . "why bother , just do it" and sort of how I feel I guess " Not perfect , but need a lobbying group to represent us".

Having done some committee work ( God , it can be boring) I can understand that to be taken seriously by "The Authorities" you have to have a very professional appearance. Various codes of conduct and so forth have to be put in place and I guess you have to have an 'official voice. '

If someone says something like ' All Pembrokeshire Councillors are wankers' on your forum , then does your organisation support or condone that statement? Of course to be taken seriously you can't be seen to support strong personal statements like that, and so members sadly end up getting 'sanctioned'.

Eventually the club mentality gets lost and the organisation seems very distant. But , I suppose to be taken seriously in the big sea with big fish you have to play by their rules. I definitely feel that unless someone applies pressure 'here and there' we will lose all our rights, leaving us with only illegal activity.

As an aside as someone who still owns one ( was more) 4 tonne army lorry there are lots of different ways to 'off road' . 2 lads in a LR90 can do more damage to a lane in 5 minutes than many much lighter bikes over a period of time. Maybe 'less than 3 wheels' TRO's are the way to go, although it would be a classic case of 'divide and rule'.
captinktm

Post by captinktm »

steve the grease wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:56 pm Thanks for your comments everyone . We seem to have come down in 2 camps . "why bother , just do it" and sort of how I feel I guess " Not perfect , but need a lobbying group to represent us".

Having done some committee work ( God , it can be boring) I can understand that to be taken seriously by "The Authorities" you have to have a very professional appearance. Various codes of conduct and so forth have to be put in place and I guess you have to have an 'official voice. '

If someone says something like ' All Pembrokeshire Councillors are wankers' on your forum , then does your organisation support or condone that statement? Of course to be taken seriously you can't be seen to support strong personal statements like that, and so members sadly end up getting 'sanctioned'.

Eventually the club mentality gets lost and the organisation seems very distant. But , I suppose to be taken seriously in the big sea with big fish you have to play by their rules. I definitely feel that unless someone applies pressure 'here and there' we will lose all our rights, leaving us with only illegal activity.

As an aside as someone who still owns one ( was more) 4 tonne army lorry there are lots of different ways to 'off road' . 2 lads in a LR90 can do more damage to a lane in 5 minutes than many much lighter bikes over a period of time. Maybe 'less than 3 wheels' TRO's are the way to go, although it would be a classic case of 'divide and rule'.
I like your big sea and big fish, but in my experience if the little fish all get together the big then spot them and eat them. As for damage, I remember Hessingford woods being strictly out of bounds to motorcycles under the presumption the damage they would cause, they gated and fenced it which suited me great as once in you knew you would meet no one. Anyway after years of this stealth riding they started extracting wood and turned the place into the mud bath. It nothing to do with damage after all some of the tracks they are trying to close the general public did n't even know they were there. You should see the damage out here, caused by hunters, and wood extraction our local track could have and was driven by a Lada Riva all the way through to Elena now the only thing that can get through is a Russian 6x6, we can't even walk down them. But there is a completely different attitude here locals are more busy just existing.
Moo

Post by Moo »

I know that certainly in Northamptonshire, the TRF has worked for us. Most of our greenlanes are open all year round to motorbikes because of their work, but closed to 4x4 9in the winter.

Now with a situation where councils have no money (Northampton county council) As soon as the TRF challenges, they cant afford to go against them.
HedgeHopper

Post by HedgeHopper »

AGM and Directors expenses went from £ 5,699.37 in 2016 to £12,276.06 in 2017

Communication and PR £650.00 in 2016 £6,613.97 in 2017

No more money from me
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

I don't speak for the TRF any more...but in fairness the PR expenses increase probably includes the launch of a professional-quality magazine and appearances at various shows including Countryfile and The Game Fair.
HedgeHopper

Post by HedgeHopper »

I'm sure it did Richard, that is sort of my point but I wont labour it, it's a personal view

Return to “GREEN LANES, TRAILS and OFF-ROAD”