Green Lanes, TRF, Opinions

Reports, meets and other stuff on how to trash the bike with a grin on your chops.
steve the grease

Post by steve the grease »

When I moved to the area I live in there were hundreds of miles of ridable lanes in my county, now there are maybe ten miles...... They, the Ramblers/ GLEAM/ 'the powers that be' / whoever, seem to be out to get us and eliminate Green Lane riding for good. I'm too busy trying to keep my head above water to lobby my local politicians, or lobby nationally, but I'm more than happy to subscribe and donate to an organisation that will do that for me on my behalf.
That organisation seems to be the TRF, from what I can gather. They seem to do a good job. There are lots of people here and elsewhere who seem happy to make comments about what should change , who needs to be booted out, how crap the website/forum/etc is.

As a member I have just had notice of the AGM to be held in Chirk, near Wrexham on March the 4th and details of a proxy voting form, so I can vote without actually going. I have read all the spiel, and it all seems fair and reasonable to me, I do have some experience of charity work/ committee work etc.

So please tell me.

What are the problems.

What needs to change / be stopped/ voted against?

I'm only asking.....................Cos I want to be able to carry on green laning into the future, my legs are too bust up for mountain bikes.
captinktm

Re: Green Lanes, TRF, Opinions

Post by captinktm »

I was going to walk on by but in the end could n't. It does n't matter who or how you try to keep the trails open, the ramblers are a massive organisation and they will have their way. As I have said a hundred times you will never convince walkers or the general public that they should put up with motorcycles riding where they walk their dogs and children. it's just not going to happen. The average punter does not know these trails have vehicle access and further more they don't care. We should have kept quiet. They can not complain if there is no one to complain to. If you want to ride these trails then get on with it. Take a day off in the week, ride solo, DON'T film your self, and keep moving, don't van your bike there. never retrace your route, in my experience this works. The TRF is defiantly not the solution and in my humble opinion they are the problem. They encourage group riding and over use of easy trails and of course provide the general public and local councils a target to aim for.
petecam

Post by petecam »

Captain KTM you raise an interesting point.

Due to being a single dad and because of work commitments I often end up taking a day off in the week and riding. Now I have to add there are still plenty of legal trails in this area but I do notice people who are walking etc are much friendlier when you ride solo. Often I stop and chat to them.

Its also much quieter in the week.

I think groups of 6-8 Enduro bikes can be intimidating to some walkers especially if they don't slow right down. For some reason the colour orange seems to agitate people :P

If I do lead a ride I really like a max of 4 bikes...

Cheers
bond_yzf

Post by bond_yzf »

We have every right to be on them as they do!
captinktm

Post by captinktm »

bond_yzf wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:07 pm We have every right to be on them as they do!
Ah the cry of " We have every right" well if that's the case what's the problem? I am guessing that the majority of people in the uk don't feel the same way. The problem is shouting this will never change the public's mind, and when you think about it logically walkers, dogs, kids, horses, sharing the same trail with motorbikes is never going to last in a country with a population rising as fast as the uk.
bond_yzf

Post by bond_yzf »

I don't and won't get involved in the whole debate, and we do have every right.

I think a lot of it is people just like to make up horror story's, about run in's with walker etc, have had plenty of groups large and small and always been courteous and polite slowed down or turned off and never had one bit of bother.

I think people should stop moaning on the interweb and actually get out and enjoy what is write fully ours to ride!
Godspeed

Post by Godspeed »

695B5F2B-64E3-4130-B2A2-87F0E6419D55.jpeg
695B5F2B-64E3-4130-B2A2-87F0E6419D55.jpeg (329.39 KiB) Viewed 4220 times
Just ride a C90 down the lanes, the general public don’t get upset, they just feel sorry for you :D
The Meandering Moustache

Going Big and Riding Small

Honda PCX125 (sports tourer)
Honda Innova ANF125 (Adventure bike)
Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

How about this one as a prospect for off roading :lol:

johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

captinktm wrote:I was going to walk on by but in the end could n't. It does n't matter who or how you try to keep the trails open, the ramblers are a massive organisation and they will have their way. As I have said a hundred times you will never convince walkers or the general public that they should put up with motorcycles riding where they walk their dogs and children. it's just not going to happen. The average punter does not know these trails have vehicle access and further more they don't care. We should have kept quiet. They can not complain if there is no one to complain to. If you want to ride these trails then get on with it. Take a day off in the week, ride solo, DON'T film your self, and keep moving, don't van your bike there. never retrace your route, in my experience this works. The TRF is defiantly not the solution and in my humble opinion they are the problem. They encourage group riding and over use of easy trails and of course provide the general public and local councils a target to aim for.
Very well said

A lot of sense there

My strategy going forward, solo or just a pair

Ride quietly and tread lightly, unseen midweek and keep moving swiftly and unseen by most

I know all the legal trails in North Yorkshire but refuse to share them now

My faves are the ones nobody else uses or knows about - because they can't be arsed to look (even TRF members)

Last edited by johnnyboxer on Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

captinktm wrote:
bond_yzf wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:07 pm We have every right to be on them as they do!
Ah the cry of " We have every right" well if that's the case what's the problem? I am guessing that the majority of people in the uk don't feel the same way. The problem is shouting this will never change the public's mind, and when you think about it logically walkers, dogs, kids, horses, sharing the same trail with motorbikes is never going to last in a country with a population rising as fast as the uk.
100% bang on

A 'right to use them' on a motorbike can be extinguished by the stroke of a pen

Stealth is the answer
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like

Return to “GREEN LANES, TRAILS and OFF-ROAD”