Green Lanes, TRF, Opinions

Reports, meets and other stuff on how to trash the bike with a grin on your chops.
bill_qaz

Re: Green Lanes, TRF, Opinions

Post by bill_qaz »

I know that certainly in Northamptonshire, the TRF has worked for us. Most of our greenlanes are open all year round to motorbikes because of their work, but closed to 4x4 9in the winter.
Moo, I think you will find this has little or nothing to do with the current TRF, South Northants TRF has been disbanded for sometime and the winter TRO's that exempt motorcycles have been in place for many years and were reissued in the latest order in 2015.

http://www3.northamptonshire.gov.uk/cou ... tions.aspx

After 10 years of TRF membership I have not renewed this year as IMHO too much % of the membership funds go to other things, than campaigning to keep BOAT;s open
scutty

Post by scutty »

bill_qaz wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:12 am Moo, I think you will find this has little or nothing to do with the current TRF, South Northants TRF has been disbanded for sometime and the winter TRO's that exempt motorcycles have been in place for many years and were reissued in the latest order in 2015.

http://www3.northamptonshire.gov.uk/cou ... tions.aspx

After 10 years of TRF membership I have not renewed this year as IMHO too much % of the membership funds go to other things, than campaigning to keep BOAT;s open
So where do you spend your money to campaign to keep BOATs open now?
Paul_C

Post by Paul_C »

If you're a TRF member and not going to the AGM don't forget to organise your proxy votes by the end of February. If you don't know who to give the proxy vote to you can use the Chair, Eddie Evans. Details on the Trail website.
One proposal is a significant rise in the membership fee which may concern some.
Just along for the ride.
Husqvarna 901 Norden. Husqvarna 701 Enduro. Moto Guzzi LeMans II.
Crossrutted

Post by Crossrutted »

IMO TRF proxy voting is a complete waste of time-previous AGM records have failed to reflect the reality.
Paul_C

Post by Paul_C »

With small numbers attending and few proxy votes used the vocal (attending or posting) minority will always hold the upper hand. The more votes the more truely reflective it will be. I'm certainly guilty of not attending, however I have sent my proxy form.
I can't see what else the directors can do. That said with a low turn out (75 = a quorum I think) any vote cannot really be seen as a true mandate for any radical action. It may meet the legal requirements but I think caution should be applied.
Surely a key target for any organisation is the engagement of the members.
Just along for the ride.
Crossrutted

Post by Crossrutted »

Paul_C wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:32 am With small numbers attending and few proxy votes used the vocal (attending or posting) minority will always hold the upper hand. The more votes the more truely reflective it will be. I'm certainly guilty of not attending, however I have sent my proxy form.
I can't see what else the directors can do. That said with a low turn out (75 = a quorum I think) any vote cannot really be seen as a true mandate for any radical action. It may meet the legal requirements but I think caution should be applied.
Surely a key target for any organisation is the engagement of the members.
Quite. However the proxy voting over the last 2 years did not drive any change in behaviours, so why will this yearbe any different?
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Greetings folks,

Initially may I declare a personal interest in this Post since I was recently expelled from Membership of the TRF. Those of you who know me, or of me, will know that I have disagreed with a particular Director over the past two or three years.

Unfortunately two documents were publicly circulated recently making totally false claims against myself and three organisations to which I am affiliated. I can prove that those claims are untrue but I am sure that you may not want to read the paperwork, if you do then send me a PM.

I still serve those organisations although I am not recognised by the TRF Directors for one of them. There is a section in the TRF Bylaws which allows the Directors to not approve the choice of Group Officers thereby giving the Directors the option to make censorship upon the Group or as in this case just myself. Most folk do not want to get involved with the politics and running of clubs but that reluctance can effectively be turned against Members as has been the case over the past few years. I understand that a number of Groups are currently considering their options and that at least two have already chosen to opt out - will others follow? Sad day if they do.

Please understand that I do not wish to harm the TRF in anyway as it has been and still could be a great organisation to help stave off the closures that we see happening to lanes, however the simple fact is that as a Member you must agree with the Directors or risk being expelled. Alternative views will not be tolerated and dissenters will be censured, a few of those Members are now contributors on here.

Last year the hotly challenged and formal AGM only just made quorum by on the morning of the meeting hurriedly 'phoning some local members and getting them to attend. I carried a number of Proxy Votes which meant that there was a significant number of votes cast against certain Directors, approximately one third of the votes if my calculations are correct. If somebody else could attend this year and coordinate the Proxy Votes then perhaps a more democratic set of controls could be introduced but be prepared to be vociferously challenged and be labelled as an enemy of the TRF, especially if one certain Director can attend which he did not last year!

I do agree with the Directors in that the Membership fee does need to be increased but other internal costs could I am sure be reduced. The full accounts do not need to be made publicly available to the Members so there is no transparency and hence therefore some scepticism. In my mind I question if the future cost of Contractors is to be reduced by one of the Directors becoming more 'employed' in that role? A lot of the excellent work done by the TRF is undertaken by local volunteers to whom I and no doubt you hold much admiration and give thanks.

I have since joined an alternative trail riding association which holds common values to the 'old style' TRF in its aims and objectives. I must emphasise that it is not in conflict to the TRF and neither are the other organisations of which I am proud to hold membership, they just offer a slightly different method of approach and courtesy.

TTFN

Hugh. ;)
Paul_C

Post by Paul_C »

I agree Hugh. I had noticed that section in the bylaws. If a member is in serious breach of the codes of conduct then I one would suppose that those could be used to remove a member from office, or the TRF. The procedure for this looks clear and seems open to appeal and scrutiny. The proposed statement re officers is, in my opinion, too vague and open to potential misuse. I have no doubt that the Directors have the best interest of the TRF at heart but if groups cannot be trusted to select their own officers then it is a sad day.
Just along for the ride.
Hugh

Post by Hugh »

Hello Paul,

I agree with you that at first sight it looks as though there is a form of appeal process but apparently not in all cases as I quote,

"The Directors decision on this matter is final and has been recorded in the Company Minutes.

There is no process for appeal or escalation and no further correspondence from yourself will be replied to."

A couple of years back in response to a proposed Policy change I produced a Discipline and Grievance Policy, a single page document, but it was not discussed nor followed up. I am disappointed to say that we must remember that we are dealing with smoke and mirror tactics as proven in the past.

My simple point remains that as an elected group officer, carrying out the specific instructions of that group, why should I be singled out and sanctioned, especially when two other local Groups adjacent to the PDNP formally supported the action that sparked off the so called reason for dispute. The Directors were cordially invited, on numerous occasions, to present their opinions and strategies to each of the organisations but failed to do so. I, and others, on the other hand copied them in to all correspondence so that we were open and honest about our intensions to respond to a request which was specifically initiated from the PDNPA.

Until there is a change of Directors we are better going our separate ways. I will not sanction against them so long as they stick to the truth. This forum is not really the place for this discussion I merely wanted to provide an insight into the questions and points recently raised by others here.

TTFN

Hugh.
HedgeHopper

Post by HedgeHopper »

"Satisfaction for all aspects of the TRF is at an all time high "

Unsubstantiated nonsense...sounds good though doesnt it?

Return to “GREEN LANES, TRAILS and OFF-ROAD”