Gps for TET

Reports, meets and other stuff on how to trash the bike with a grin on your chops.
hornet

Gps for TET

Post by hornet »

Please bare with me although I use a TomTom for work and have had one on my bikes for the last 10 years. I prefer maps but see the use in gps. I know how difficult it can be finding lanes and linking them up so doing it in a foreign country is not going to fly.

I don't seem to be able to grasp what gps unit I need, to be able to download and read from to navigate sections the TET

Emma has a tomtom rider 400 but I don't think that has much in the way of unmade roads either.

I keep hearing either Montana or smartphone app.

I don't have a smart phone and have no desire to have one either plus one drop and it could be done for. The Montana seems very expensive maybe its brilliant and is the only one that will really do the job. What about the Oregon from garmin or the gpsmap64

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/garmin-gpsm ... le-p305439 what about this ?

I think you can upload maps to Garmin devices for free but that only works if the device can read and display what you need.

Any helpful advise will be gratefully received

Thanks
Mike
Two wheels roaming. My FB page
minkyhead

Re: Gps for TET

Post by minkyhead »

theres quite a few threads on sat navs and smartphones

ive used a few different navs nuvi road angel c60s etrex

phones are more robust than you imgine if you mount em right and have a bit of luck along the way and having a phone and a sat nav for one to back the other is a good thing
my vote would be just bite the bullet and get a montanna ..i think they are the best out there for adv /trail riding and amazingly easy to use
the 64 is a more advanced c60csx and trust me having had one they are not very easy to use stationary and the screens are small and the button scroll system a pain in the ass on the move they are near impossible to opertate with gloves on harder to work with and harder to understand if your fairly inexpierianced with sat navs it is not a easy unit to work with

..the montanna touchscreen is light years ahead in every way in terms of ease of use ..practicality on the move ...scrolling real time navigation ..screen size/resalution mounting options ..i really hated the c60

im sure a more knowlagable guy would make it work ok and they do but it was a pain in the ass to me ...probably best suted to a walking application which in fairness is what its for i think ..but its disadvantages compared to a montanna are many

at 270 your knocking on towards a montanna ..you can get gb discoverer full o/s maps for twenty quid and al euro tet maps here for nothing ..http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

Imageaaaaaa by minkyhead56, on Flickr
ImageDSC_0831 by minkyhead56, on Flickr
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
hornet

Post by hornet »

Thanks Minky
WillS

Post by WillS »

Another recommendation for the Garmin Montana. Great bit of kit, easy to use on the trails, free maps from OpenStreetMaps.
You will need a PC and Garmin BaseCamp that's also free to download. Easy to add the gpx files and also to export into BaseCamp after the ride to keep.
Plenty of extras and powered mounts for the bike.
Started with the 60CSx, but as Minky says the Montana is far better, and can store 1000's of waypoints.
Would not travel the trails without the Montana.
Worth the investment...
RichP

Post by RichP »

I agree with the advice from Minky. I went from a 60csx to a Montana about 4 years ago and find it much easier when riding. I used it for doing the TET in the Balkans earlier in the year and had no issues. Yes, they are a bit pricey but it's money well spent.
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

Hi Mike

As Willy Spray et al state...I'm one for the Montana too.

If you have a wee peep here....? If pics don't show up use Firefox browser with an extension to see photo bucket images...it'll work then.

https://adventurebikerider.com/forum/vi ... 0&start=40

I only use base camp to store my routes on, after that I can work out anything else on the GPS itself under route planner.

The best way to get used with it is to constantly mess around with it. As you can see in the link above the nine icons I have dialled in that work for my riding situation covers everything I need at one touch.

You can stash your trails on wikiloc.com or any other similar site. What's good about wikiloc is that there's an icon just for Garmin downloads.

Open Street Maps are free and will route from one off road point to the other, generally.

I ordered mine from the USA all in for 324 euros back in the day. It's had a few tumbles and it's now on it's last legs. I'll buy another when it finally zaps.

Once dialled in to your personal taste it's invaluable....handy too, is the bluetooth transferring of routes between GPS..another rider can ping you a plan and off you go.

Mess around constantly and the penny will finally drop.

Best of luck

:)

Will It Buff Out?
hornet

Post by hornet »

Thanks for the input kind people its appreciated.

So the next question is which Montana, there appears to be different numbers 600 610 650 680 with different options

any thoughts perhaps one is less complicated easier to use ??

Mike
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Just read the huge montana thread on adv for gods sake....if it aint covered there it aint worth knowing....
WIBO

Post by WIBO »

hornet wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:56 pm Thanks for the input kind people its appreciated.

So the next question is which Montana, there appears to be different numbers 600 610 650 680 with different options

Mike
Personally I don't need a camera on a GPS so if it were I, the cheapest one you can find......all the models basically do the same thing. :D

:D
Will It Buff Out?
hornet

Post by hornet »

WIBO wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:10 pm
hornet wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:56 pm Thanks for the input kind people its appreciated.

Mike
Personally I don't need a camera on a GPS so if it were I, the cheapest one you can find......all the models basically do the same thing. :D

:D
Excellent thank you that's all I need to know

regards
Mike

Return to “GREEN LANES, TRAILS and OFF-ROAD”