Gps for TET

Reports, meets and other stuff on how to trash the bike with a grin on your chops.
herman

Re: Gps for TET

Post by herman »

I went through the same denial/spend how much!!!! process about a year or so ago. Bought a Montanna it really is the daddy. I still use a car tom tom unit for road trips but for trails and the versatile nature of the thing it is hard to beat. I went for a bundle deal from Millets which had UK OS mapping with it (and a staff discount from a friend). The bought maps can be pricey but as said open source is free and to be honest easier to read I reckon. As an aside a rugged smart phone does quite a good job of it, you can use it just as a tablet and not have a sim in it, just make sure it has good gps connectivity, I have a motorolla G series with osmand installed for hacking and back up duties. Garmin menus do my head in mind as nothing seems particularly logical so I found the learning curve rather steep.
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
hornet

Post by hornet »

Tramp wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:24 pm Just read the huge montana thread on adv for gods sake....if it aint covered there it aint worth knowing....
Trawl through 742 pages of a lot of tech speak that I don't understand, with no coherency , cross chat and debate.

sometimes a simple question with a simple answer works better.
Two wheels roaming. My FB page
prg4967

Post by prg4967 »

The 600 & 650 are the older models the 610 & the 680 are the newer models with GPS & GLONASS the older ones just had GPS..
More info here, http://www.gpscentral.ca/products/garmi ... rison.html
I spent the money on a newer version and saved money buying a map card from eBay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Glonass is worth having for better positioning...my etrex20 has both :D
hornet

Post by hornet »

prg4967 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:49 am The 600 & 650 are the older models the 610 & the 680 are the newer models with GPS & GLONASS the older ones just had GPS..
More info here, http://www.gpscentral.ca/products/garmi ... rison.html
I spent the money on a newer version and saved money buying a map card from eBay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks man

Good info in a way I can see

Mike
Two wheels roaming. My FB page

Return to “GREEN LANES, TRAILS and OFF-ROAD”