Legally ride a closed lane

Reports, meets and other stuff on how to trash the bike with a grin on your chops.
beddowsm

Re: Legally ride a closed lane

Post by beddowsm »

What about legal lanes where there are illegal signs?

My understanding is Deadmans Hill in the Dales has had its TRO lifted. The damage in the middle has been repaired. But there are still no vehicle signs at both ends. Meaning anyone not in the know would not be able to ride the lane and have to endure the 26 mile tarmac detour. The signs do come with the text "except for access". Well, I needed to access the tarmac road at the end of the lane.

Unless of course it still does have a TRO, in which case....erm......it wasn't me.
P4ulie

Post by P4ulie »

Every council should have a 'rights of way officer' who will have access to all the mapping for byways, bridleways, footpaths etc. I sit opposite ours, (being in London and having only 3 byways that nobody in their right mind would bother with) it can usually be a tacked on as an extra to somebody that deals with other Infrastructure.

All of these are still classed as public highway or right of way and usually assessed every 3 months by an Inspector. If in doubt call them
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything
Cone

Post by Cone »

Interestingly I am currently seconded into a local authority - not saying which one.

I spoke to the rights of way officer to find out what lanes i could use and he said its easy - look at the byways on OS and the unpaved roads shown in green dots, you can use all of those in our LA - And its lots! I just havent got of my arse to go for a ride yet. :lol:
DavidS

Post by DavidS »

That is about the worst advice ever for general use.
The OS maps will be way out of date and have no reference to permanent or temporary TROs.

Even our East Sussex Highways byway map has permanently TROd and even missing lanes shown on it.
You need to use the local authourity map plus their list of temporary TROs to be as reasonably confident as you can that a lane is legal.

Deliberately riding illegally is massively destructive to the trail riding community (TRF members or not) as it just gives the antis more ammunition.

I daren't comment on the OP as I'm on yet another TRF forum warning. ;)
2023 Husqvarna Norden 901
2014 KTM 690 ENDURO R
beddowsm

Post by beddowsm »

Cone wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:19 pm Interestingly I am currently seconded into a local authority - not saying which one.

I spoke to the rights of way officer to find out what lanes i could use and he said its easy - look at the byways on OS and the unpaved roads shown in green dots, you can use all of those in our LA - And its lots! I just havent got of my arse to go for a ride yet. :lol:
Id be amazed if you can use them all. Its bad advice of the ROW officer just to say go by an OS map. There are many legal lanes marked on an OS map, but not all of them are legal on the ground.
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

DavidS wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:06 pm
Seems to me that the OP is willy waving , I know these people so I can ride where you can't :D
one-legged adventurer
Cone

Post by Cone »

boboneleg wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:17 pm
Seems to me that the OP is willy waving , I know these people so I can ride where you can't :D
dare i ask whats an OP :lol:
Crossrutted

Post by Crossrutted »

boboneleg wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:17 pm
I thought the OP was drawing attention to the willy waving of others?
Cone

Post by Cone »

Ah you mean me with OP. :shock: :shock:

Well only repeating what an ROW officer told me. He called them in nettled roads that can be identified on the map by green dots and I could use them legally.
Cone

Post by Cone »

Unmetalled rods sorry. Damn predictive text

Return to “GREEN LANES, TRAILS and OFF-ROAD”