Speed

Reports, meets and other stuff on how to trash the bike with a grin on your chops.
EarthWorm

Speed

Post by EarthWorm »

OK, a purely theoretical question prompted by a bloke claiming he gave up on the TRF as he considered some of it's Riders were too fast and reckless for the routes and pissed of walkers.....(this doesn't match my experience, but there you go)
Anyway, Green lanes, ORPAs, BOATs, what is the speed limit on these rights of way?, no signs, no street lights, how can anyone possibly know?
I know I'm probably missing something obvious
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration
Andi_Archer

Re: Speed

Post by Andi_Archer »

National speed limit unless other legally placed road signs or lamp posts are evident :laugh:
petecam

Post by petecam »

There is a lane in Norfolk which is little used and completely overgrown. About half way along there is a nation speed limit sign :silly:
EarthWorm

Post by EarthWorm »

National speed limit unless other legally placed road signs or lamp posts are evident
petecam wrote:There is a lane in Norfolk which is little used and completely overgrown. About half way along there is a nation speed limit sign :silly:
Blimey, thanks for the heads up, i'll make a note to take it easy then :laugh: :laugh:
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

It would be the same as any other road leading from another. If the road you are travelling on has a 40mph limit and you leave that road to take an unsurfaced green lane, provided there aren't any speed limit signs at the start of the green lane, the preceding speed limit applies.
Current bike is a Yamaha T7
Dirtmonkey

Post by Dirtmonkey »

BlueUK

Post by BlueUK »

AlanHolt wrote:It would be the same as any other road leading from another. If the road you are travelling on has a 40mph limit and you leave that road to take an unsurfaced green lane, provided there aren't any speed limit signs at the start of the green lane, the preceding speed limit applies.
So it could be as low as 20mph going one direction and 60mph the other direction?
Given that the lanes rarely have signs, one could be turned onto a 30mph tarmac road having been on a 60mph road and not passed a speed limit sign.
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

AlanHolt wrote:It would be the same as any other road leading from another. If the road you are travelling on has a 40mph limit and you leave that road to take an unsurfaced green lane, provided there aren't any speed limit signs at the start of the green lane, the preceding speed limit applies.
That is incorrect...the speed limit order must identify the road it applies to...the end of the speed limit should be signed on he next road you turn into...but if they arent, the speed limit will be the nationsl speed limit..as someone else pointed out, otherwise you could have different limits in each direction....
bowber

Post by bowber »

Are you talking legal or reasonable? I suspect reasonable, in which case you have to decide as you're riding it. big flat open lane with clear view and plenty of stopping distance then go for it, get to the NSL, tight lane with blind corners and potential for walkers and cyclists then keep your speed down.
I'll have to admit to going too fast when I was younger, we used to get up to stupid speeds and I'm amazed we didn't hurt ourselves more or other people at all, jumping of crests at 40+ just before a blind corner etc, I just recently did a lane near me that I used to go too fast along and I just couldn't believe I used to do it and got away with it.
Now I tend to bimble along taking more time and stopping often even though I'm on a far more capable bike now.
Steve

Return to “GREEN LANES, TRAILS and OFF-ROAD”