Speed

Reports, meets and other stuff on how to trash the bike with a grin on your chops.
EarthWorm

Re: Speed

Post by EarthWorm »

I meant Legal, what is reasonable is a different matter all together and of course totally subjective.
Thanks for the replies National speed limit unless otherwise signed it is then. (thumbs)
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration
Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

Or if theres lamposts as this indicates 30mph unless otherwise sign posted
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

EarthWorm wrote:OK, a purely theoretical question prompted by a bloke claiming he gave up on the TRF as he considered some of it's Riders were too fast and reckless for the routes and pissed of walkers.....(this doesn't match my experience, but there you go)

Anyway, Green lanes, ORPAs, BOATs, what is the speed limit on these rights of way?, no signs, no street lights, how can anyone possibly know?
I know I'm probably missing something obvious
they never went out with me then, I get passed by guys on mountain bikes :blush:

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
HarveyCamm

Post by HarveyCamm »

Redmurty wrote:
EarthWorm wrote:OK, a purely theoretical question prompted by a bloke claiming he gave up on the TRF as he considered some of it's Riders were too fast and reckless for the routes and pissed of walkers.....(this doesn't match my experience, but there you go)

Anyway, Green lanes, ORPAs, BOATs, what is the speed limit on these rights of way?, no signs, no street lights, how can anyone possibly know?
I know I'm probably missing something obvious
they never went out with me then, I get passed by guys on mountain bikes :blush:

cheers Spud ;)
Takes more skill riding slow eh Spud ;)

How do you expect to see the countryside if it's just a blur - I save all of the high speed work of my brain for trying to find ways to slip an outing past the calendar of SWMBO :woohoo:

H
EarthWorm

Post by EarthWorm »

Andi_Archer wrote:Or if theres lamposts as this indicates 30mph unless otherwise sign posted
Cheers, will keep that in mind next time I'm up the Sarn :laugh:
Tim B KTM

Post by Tim B KTM »

Norfolk lane national speed limit. I didn't manage 60 down this one !
NationalSpeedLimit.jpg
NationalSpeedLimit.jpg (63.38 KiB) Viewed 2855 times
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

bowber wrote:Are you talking legal or reasonable? I suspect reasonable, in which case you have to decide as you're riding it. big flat open lane with clear view and plenty of stopping distance then go for it, get to the NSL, tight lane with blind corners and potential for walkers and cyclists then keep your speed down.
I'll have to admit to going too fast when I was younger, we used to get up to stupid speeds and I'm amazed we didn't hurt ourselves more or other people at all, jumping of crests at 40+ just before a blind corner etc, I just recently did a lane near me that I used to go too fast along and I just couldn't believe I used to do it and got away with it.
Now I tend to bimble along taking more time and stopping often even though I'm on a far more capable bike now.

Steve
Exactly. Some of the open moor lanes near Masham I've been at v high speed on a dirt bike there - literally miles of visibility.

Contra to that is that some others less than 15 miles away you can't do more than about 8mph safely.
EarthWorm

Post by EarthWorm »

Mike54 wrote:
bowber wrote:Are you talking legal or reasonable? I suspect reasonable, in which case you have to decide as you're riding it. big flat open lane with clear view and plenty of stopping distance then go for it, get to the NSL, tight lane with blind corners and potential for walkers and cyclists then keep your speed down.
I'll have to admit to going too fast when I was younger, we used to get up to stupid speeds and I'm amazed we didn't hurt ourselves more or other people at all, jumping of crests at 40+ just before a blind corner etc, I just recently did a lane near me that I used to go too fast along and I just couldn't believe I used to do it and got away with it.
Now I tend to bimble along taking more time and stopping often even though I'm on a far more capable bike now.

Steve
Exactly. Some of the open moor lanes near Masham I've been at v high speed on a dirt bike there - literally miles of visibility.

Contra to that is that some others less than 15 miles away you can't do more than about 8mph safely.
EarthWorm wrote:I meant Legal, what is reasonable is a different matter all together and of course totally subjective.
Dazzer

Post by Dazzer »

When stopped by police on the lanes ( Yorkshire Dales ) speed as never been mentioned . However they do check for road legal tyres and that the bike has a working horn and dip head lights. They will also check the size of your number plate. While one police man is doing this the other one will ring through to check insurance and if needed a in date MOT. (thumbs)

Return to “GREEN LANES, TRAILS and OFF-ROAD”