Trail info elan valley.

Reports, meets and other stuff on how to trash the bike with a grin on your chops.
STRATARIDER

Re: Trail info elan valley.

Post by STRATARIDER »

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote:You can practice riding Monks Trod in your garden.

Hire a mini digger, and dig a hole big enough to take your bike, so only the handlebars are above the surface.

Fill the hole with water and ride your bike into it.

Use the mini digger to backfill the hole.

Now dig the bike out, using your helmet peak.

Get the bike running again, and ride it around the garden and back into the hole. Then dig it out again with your hands.

Repeat until you are bored.

Classic (thumbs) (thumbs) (thumbs) (thumbs)
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

To be fair, Monks Trod was once a classic trail that you could get a Transit van across in summer.
But the road has gradually become engulfed in peat moss, and people (esp in 4x4s) started driving off-piste until the original route was lost.
I know at one time it had a complete TRO on it...it was so bad that it was closed even to walkers.
If you did want to do it, I'd suggest a group of 3 all on light bikes. You'd need 3 people to get each bike out when it got stuck...and if there are any more than 3 bikes you'll spend so long dragging them out you'd never reach the end.
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Rob 110 wrote:yup Monks Trod should be closed and made a nature wilderness.

a pointless lane that defeats the point of riding to me
it becomes like a 4x4 winch challenge to haul your bike across
unless you get lucky with your lines

TRF/GLASS etc should be volunteering to help close it, in favour of making the missing link past Claerwen permanently legal.
Alternatively, PCC should bite the bullet and carry out the drainage and maintenance it needs.... It was properly traversable in the early 80s except in teh depths of Winter.

Not quite sure how they will pay for it mind. :whistle:
beddowsm

Post by beddowsm »

TRF/GLASS etc should be volunteering to help close it, in favour of making the missing link past Claerwen permanently legal.

WHAT! I completely disagree. Close this lane and another piece of history is lost. So what if there are bits that are boggy. So what if there are bits where navigation becomes a bit difficult.

The lane is in the middle of nowhere. I cant see many walkers ever using it. Its that remote and boring for hiking. Far better walks around the area. I really wouldn't choose to walk it, and I love hiking. For this reason what harm are bikes actually doing? A few ruts here and there. Big bloody deal. When it rains they will start filling in.

Maybe its a bit pointless to you Rob110 but theres not many places where you can do a trail such as this. All it needs is better navigation posts in the middle section.

Ive ridden it a few times, and each time Ive had a great ride. Yes, its tricky in places and you many need help from your friends.....but if you go into the trail with this understanding you will have a great few hours.
Rob 110

Post by Rob 110 »

beddowsm wrote:

WHAT! I completely disagree. Close this lane and another piece of history is lost. So what if there are bits that are boggy. So what if there are bits where navigation becomes a bit difficult.

The lane is in the middle of nowhere. I cant see many walkers ever using it. Its that remote and boring for hiking. Far better walks around the area. I really wouldn't choose to walk it, and I love hiking. For this reason what harm are bikes actually doing? A few ruts here and there. Big bloody deal. When it rains they will start filling in.

Maybe its a bit pointless to you Rob110 but theres not many places where you can do a trail such as this. All it needs is better navigation posts in the middle section.

Ive ridden it a few times, and each time Ive had a great ride. Yes, its tricky in places and you many need help from your friends.....but if you go into the trail with this understanding you will have a great few hours.
We all have different opinions, that's what makes the world a diverse place :)

There's no council funding to reinstate/improve/drain/waymark lanes like this.

IIRC the ISDE of 1983 went across the Trod, so don't think that would have helped.
In the 60's you could drive a car down Strata Florida too....
Mid Wales Trails offroad tour guide: Barmouth, Llangollen, Dolgellau, Rhayader, Llandovery, Monmouth, Shropshire.

PM for details or click: SweetLamb Adventure Bike Academy

https://imgur.com/ZTqhFlL
beddowsm

Post by beddowsm »

Rob 110 wrote:
Agree (thumbs)
Rob 110 wrote: There's no council funding to reinstate/improve/drain/waymark lanes like this.
I also think this would be a waste of council funding (well, the drainage but Im sure the waymarkers could be a good idea)[/quote]
Rob 110 wrote: In the 60's you could drive a car down Strata Florida too....
It would be good to see any old photos from many years ago of these trails. Be interesting to see how they have changed over time. Anyone got any?
The Sarge

Post by The Sarge »

Not that long ago, but you get the idea, its pretty hard going in the winter (thumbs)
Not sure how many times we got stuck that day but it was knackering :pinch:

IMG_0506.JPG
IMG_0506.JPG (75.48 KiB) Viewed 3287 times
IMG_0507.JPG
IMG_0507.JPG (72.7 KiB) Viewed 3287 times

Sarge
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

The Sarge wrote:Not that long ago, but you get the idea, its pretty hard going in the winter (thumbs)
Not sure how many times we got stuck that day but it was knackering :pinch:

IMG_0506.JPG
I can hear the comment now.... "Took the wrong line mate"

No fun at all IMV..
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

beddowsm wrote:
Rob 110 wrote:
Agree (thumbs)
Rob 110 wrote: There's no council funding to reinstate/improve/drain/waymark lanes like this.
I also think this would be a waste of council funding (well, the drainage but Im sure the waymarkers could be a good idea)
[/quote]

From experience, too much damage to lanes is caused by poor drainage, which is then exacerbated by 4WD winching sessions..

As to the allocation of resources, I think we know the view of PCC. Too many routes are getting stuffed, when some careful TRO's could preserve the lanes in hard times. Reduce/restrict use in Wintertimes for starters, width restrictions etc etc. Albeit I can't see a width restriction working on any of the moorland routes around the Dams!!! ;-)

Return to “GREEN LANES, TRAILS and OFF-ROAD”