Thetford Forrest

Reports, meets and other stuff on how to trash the bike with a grin on your chops.
mikedefieslife

Thetford Forrest

Post by mikedefieslife »

Does anyone have GPX files of the BOATs in/around Thetford Forrest?

I only recently heard about the lanes there, and would be interested in trying them out.

Thanks in advance.
Riders' Handbook
hornet

Re: Thetford Forrest

Post by hornet »

Plenty of byways and uccrs to ride

Unfortunately a ride that was poorly organised that included two footpaths and restricted byway and a bridge that is illegal to ride over were included. I know that this ride had many people attend over 80 and then these misinformed riders tracked this route have shared the route unknowingly

Please be careful and I'm happy to help you plot a route I don't have a gpx file but I do have the maps but more importantly I do have the knowledge to advise on many great lanes one of which is not on any map (as yet) and is completely legal.

What will you be riding out of interest

Mike
Two wheels roaming. My FB page
petecam

Post by petecam »

To add to my good friend Hornet's comments.

Theford is on my doorstep and seems to be ever increasing in popularity, especially with big bikes.

I would be also happy to check a route but please consider the following:

This winter despite being mild has seen a lot of rutting from 4x4s its worse that Ive seen it for a long time. Please therefore tread carefully.

There are a lot of long open trails. There have been complaints from locals who live in the forest about excessive speed and inappropriate behavior near their properties. If you see any farms/dwelling please slow right down.

It's tempting to go off piste but the Police and army do patrol so be warned.

There are a few trails that run though heath land. There are lots of lambs around at the moment so again please take it easy.

While the above might seem like a bit of a moan it's our local trails and we're increasing worried about people turning up at the weekend from out of the area, trashing the place and f8cking off again (thumbs)
halfpint

Post by halfpint »

we were out in the wood the other week , plenty out and about rut in some places are getting deeper will be back over in a few weeks time. enduro bikes and big bikes no one really doing much wrong . shame they dont do the fly tippers and pikey vans ......just keep to the tracks and out of the bomb hole !! if you are told its a foot path keep off.
linssen

Thetford Forrest

Post by linssen »

Here's a route I made. It's been checked over by Suffolk and Norfolk TRF TRO officers. http://my.viewranger.com/route/details/ODA2OTk= there's a nice mix of stuff in it.
Pint Master

Post by Pint Master »

I know Thetford area well and can do a fully legal 90-100 mile loop,I don't use a GPS so don't have a GPX file but if 3 or 4 people fancy a guided run some time in June on a Sunday,Tuesday or Wednesday Id be happy to lead,Im a Cambridgeshire TRF member.
Hangonandhope

Post by Hangonandhope »

Hi , if the offers still open , a ride around thetford with someone who knows where there going would be good . Plus you can help me pick the tenere up ( either I'm getting old or its bloody heavy). Cheers Mark
Pint Master

Post by Pint Master »

The offer is still open can't do next Sunday 19th,can't do a Saturday or the first 2 weeks of July other than that a Sunday would be favourite or possibly a weekday with a bit of notice.
frenchy3

Post by frenchy3 »

That is one of my favourite routes and on my doorstep too. I avoid the Peddars way now as it is over used and there is not much of it that is actually legal. There are some lovely trails out by Castle acre that you can string five ford crossings and my particular favourite ford is at Glandford near Holt,it must be one of the widest in the country.
linssen wrote:Here's a route I made. It's been checked over by Suffolk and Norfolk TRF TRO officers. http://my.viewranger.com/route/details/ODA2OTk= there's a nice mix of stuff in it.
Hangonandhope

Post by Hangonandhope »

Thanks for reply , I'm away w/e of the 24th but can do some weekdays in June if any suit you , these are the dates I'm able to do. 20,21,22,23,30 or 1 July could do tomorrow or Wednesday (realise that's very short notice). Or we can arrange a day when your available in July . Thanks again looking forward to it.

Return to “GREEN LANES, TRAILS and OFF-ROAD”