Sweet Lamb Adventure Rally Bike Academy

Reports, meets and other stuff on how to trash the bike with a grin on your chops.
SteveW

Sweet Lamb Adventure Rally Bike Academy

Post by SteveW »

I was at Sweet Lamb Academy yesterday on my GS800.
Molly (Mark) is a fantastic instructor, not only is he a Champion Enduro racer, crucially he is a good instructor, which is pretty rare.
I'm much more comfortable on the loose stuff on an Enduro than a full size adventure bike. I've ridden my GS off Tarmac a few times, but to be honest it was through gritted teeth, when you are used to a 110Kg 450cc bike on knobbly tyres, it's not easy to enjoy yourself with twice the weight, twice the power and road/trail tyres.
I've got a big trip next month on my GSA800 which will involve gravel/dirt trails and Scandinavia, Balkans and Turkey are in the pipeline.
What Molly does is put the fundamentals in place in the training area, then progresses you out into the fantastic varied Sweet Lamb complex. It's about riding fast, it's a Rally academy afterall, but with pace comes control.
It's the same but a bit different riding the bigger stuff on the gravel, in my opinion it's essential to get some experience and tuition on your Adventure bike to really enjoy it safely once the Tarmac ends.
I came away with the ability to ride faster and in control, but critically with the knowledge to analyse my riding and be self critical and self correcting.
I am defiantly faster, more in control and safer now.
Molly is puttin 100% into this, he's got an onsite bunkhouse ready and in my opinion it's the best training arena in the country, once you are on site, that's it, no Tarmac, the only distraction for me yesterday was boom-crack of Barrett 50 Cal's as the SAS practiced mile kills on an old Landrover.
Mike54

Re: Sweet Lamb Adventure Rally Bike Academy

Post by Mike54 »

I don't think it's just for hooligans like you :laugh: who want to ride fast, Steve. He caters for guys who want to take adv bikes off tarmac for the first time and get some offroad skills (thumbs)
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

Mike54 wrote:I don't think it's just for hooligans like you :laugh: who want to ride fast, Steve. He caters for guys who want to take adv bikes off tarmac for the first time and get some offroad skills (thumbs)
Haha! Precisely, he puts a lot of effort into finding out what YOU want from the experience.
I actually think you are bonkers if you think you can just take your 220KG 120bhp £15,000 Adventure Bike out of your comfort zone and onto the gravel/dirt and ENJOY it without some form of fundament tuition.
I wanted help with the transition from Enduro to Adventure bike.
rallymoto

Post by rallymoto »

hey mike ........steve is a a throttle jockey for sure he does like to get a lick on ;-)
but he is getting acomplihed !!!!!!!!,
putting skills into a guy like that,who has the ability to analyse what he is doing is very rewarding his slow speed standing stuff was bloody good

very different from the two triumph guys i hsd a week ago who had never been off road. they left with the biggest grins i hsd ever seen ,loved it ,
must have done as they rebooked a mid week session :-)

we will try to get the drone stuff up soon
it was agreat day for sure
~ACP~

Post by ~ACP~ »

Can't wait to get up there end of May with the KTM posse :D
rallymoto

Post by rallymoto »

thanks to all those who turned up for the training /riding weekend ,
the snow didnt matter while we were warm in the bunkhouse

nice to see a great range of bikes that turned up,thats great to see

had some great riding and banter :-) it was fun aswell ,....thats great what its all about ....................

great food .....great people

see you all again soon
photos soon on adventurerallybike.co.uk
moly
peterpan241

Post by peterpan241 »

Just had a fab weekend with Moly & Pat, I went to regain my lost confidence after minor tumble. Was it worthwhile? definitely, tuition is at an individual level and you are never pushed into anything that they don't feel you are capable of. The weekend was great value for money as well as being a real blast, well if you ride a KTM or HP2 :laugh:
Many thanks again guys
Adventure before Dementia
rallymoto

Post by rallymoto »

you did great mate ,watching you on the video was brill ,didnt look like the same bloke who turned up two days earlier !!!!!great stuff

Return to “GREEN LANES, TRAILS and OFF-ROAD”