TRF becomming Extinct?

Reports, meets and other stuff on how to trash the bike with a grin on your chops.
Mike54

Re: TRF becomming Extinct?

Post by Mike54 »

johnnyboxer wrote:
I always look after the slowest riders in my group when leading

1st & 2nd gear is fine offroad - who needs a race ?

So its you johnny who is the slowest rider then? ;)

come on theres nothing wrong with a bit of macho tearing round if safe to do so, its what keeps us alive!
peterjt

Post by peterjt »

Crossrutted wrote:My TRF experience:
In 1977, a friend & I rode 35 miles one wet winter night to join the TRF-to the Valiant Trooper in Berkhampstead.
No bugger would talk to us.

In late 1990's tried again-in Thames Valley I think-absolutely no interest-so stuff you lot!!

Around early 2000s, discovered Oxford TRF via UkGSer ride(on a KTM!).
Brilliant bunch! Exactly what the TRF should be-enthusiastic, friendly, open, good ROW people, lots of rides, entertaining other TRF groups etc.

Then I moved north-found Teesside/North Yorks group-great! Just like Oxford.

So my recent experience of local TRF groups has been +ve.

However.....the current national TRF "board" behaviours are shameful and are damaging the TRF in that it will lose members.
Some even suspect that is the plan.
My view is that is a mix of inexperience, ego and incompetence.

Perhaps the vacant Dictator position in Uzbekistan will attract the junta eastwards-that may be the only hope for TRF survival as a national organisation.
With the TRF local groups you get out what you put in, often a lot more.
However in all things in life the further north you get the more friendly the people are.

Strange isn't it that the directors causing the problems come from the south.
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

peterjt wrote:
In 1977, a friend & I rode 35 miles one wet winter night to join the TRF-to the Valiant Trooper in Berkhampstead.

In late 1990's tried again-in Thames Valley I think-absolutely no interest-so stuff you lot!!

Brilliant bunch! Exactly what the TRF should be-enthusiastic, friendly, open, good ROW people, lots of rides, entertaining other TRF groups etc.

However.....the current national TRF "board" behaviours are shameful and are damaging the TRF in that it will lose members.

Perhaps the vacant Dictator position in Uzbekistan will attract the junta eastwards-that may be the only hope for TRF survival as a national organisation.
However in all things in life the further north you get the more friendly the people are.

Strange that the only place I've had a bottle smashed on my head was in the more friendly northern part of the country :unsure:

The TRF members get the directors they elect and if they don't like them then should get rid of them. I'd still be a member of it wasn't for the fact that the whole focus was on keeping routes open in the National Parks and anywhere else is irrelevant apart from as a source of revenue. Well I'm not willing to keep pouring money into headline causes that are being pushed simply so that a select few can appear on regional tv and I'm not alone in feeling that way.
scoobydidler

TRF becomming Extinct?

Post by scoobydidler »

Well i'm most definitely northern. I attended a local TRF "open evening" at a bike dealership i know well so i was very comfortable in the surroundings.

The night was the weirdest, cliqueyest, least "open", least friendly night i've ever had!
ABR, complete opposite.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
johnnyboxer

TRF becomming Extinct?

Post by johnnyboxer »

Mike54 wrote:
johnnyboxer wrote:
I always look after the slowest riders in my group when leading

1st & 2nd gear is fine offroad - who needs a race ?

So its you johnny who is the slowest rider then? ;)

come on theres nothing wrong with a bit of macho tearing round if safe to do so, its what keeps us alive!
It is me - I have to admit

Going fast scares me - in case I fall off

I like to look at the views & smell the flowers

As a kid I tried schoolboy MX and it frightened me to death, so I switched to Trials

Coming from a background of 30 years in Trials - slow is my habitat & it suits me

I get much more satisfaction getting up a really gnarly & difficult lane - feet up and in control in 1st gear, than blasting along a limestone track at 50 - 70 mph in 6th gear - Sweet Lamb would be purgatory to me

Each to their own Mike though

Live & let live - you wouldn't like my groups though, I take the Serows ;)
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Crossrutted

Post by Crossrutted »

AndyB wrote:
peterjt wrote:

Strange that the only place I've had a bottle smashed on my head was in the more friendly northern part of the country :unsure:

The TRF members get the directors they elect and if they don't like them then should get rid of them. I'd still be a member of it wasn't for the fact that the whole focus was on keeping routes open in the National Parks and anywhere else is irrelevant apart from as a source of revenue. Well I'm not willing to keep pouring money into headline causes that are being pushed simply so that a select few can appear on regional tv and I'm not alone in feeling that way.
I'm surprised that the North is the only place you head has attracted bottles, Andy. ;0)

Moving on, the issue is the complacency of some members to vote - meanwhile the incumbents change the rules and install Kim Jon Mario fanboys.
Unless the silent majority find their voice the TRF will soon be dead.
Old Git Ray

Post by Old Git Ray »

I joined the TRF last month (I won't say where yet to be fair to them) and went to my first meet so I am not realy in a position to judge anyone at this stage. However, I did not feel welcome at all. I fully appreciate that the majority of people there have been riding together for years and will have long and trusting relationships so I am a complete outsider.
On arrival, I was clearly the new boy and with beer in hand, stood at the edge of the group I had to butt in to ask what the format of the evening was to be. Once told I was again ignored.
After the main body of the formal meeting was over I was asked to stand up and introduce myself. Not a problem, I am a big ugly f**ker and used to public speaking. I managed to get my name out before about 50% of the group started to loudly talk over me, so many that I have no idea what they were saying. I immediately gave up and sat down. End of intro.
I managed to spark up a breif conversation with a couple of members who were very affable but by and large, I was completely ignored by most of the 30 odd people there.
I am not going to give up yet but it does need (and probably will) to get better than this.
The forum/facebook communications medium is cryptic to say the least with the new guy having no idea where the places they refer to are.

One question I do have is: What exactly is/was the problem with the national committee etc. There are a lot of referencences to resignations etc above but no detail as to why. Can someone fill me in (not literally please).
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

Ray your experience mirrors my own back in 2003 so it's not a new problem. Trying to work out that you have to join the national TRF and then join your local group was never explained and trying get in the 'clique' was just a case of turning up to meetings and eventually getting to go on a rideout.
Back then lanes were slightly 'questionable' regarding their legality and most of the information was held within the heads of the long established members. Asking to look at a marked up map was greeted with much sucking in of air through gritted teeth along with mumblings and scratching of chins ...... back then there was no information on the internet and GPS was in it's infancy.
All I would say is stick with, don't expect information to be freely given but give it a few months to get to know how your club works and in my experience you will get lots of help ....... I would honestly say that without the TRF I would have stopped riding very quickly.
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
daytona-supersport

Post by daytona-supersport »

scoobydidler wrote:Well i'm most definitely northern. I attended a local TRF "open evening" at a bike dealership i know well so i was very comfortable in the surroundings.

The night was the weirdest, cliqueyest, least "open", least friendly night i've ever had!
ABR, complete opposite.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
Yep, that sounds about right. I hope you did not ask if you could make a copy of marked up maps. They are on the top, top secret list and not for the likes of anybody not prepared to kiss the arse of the regional or section leader.

PS, I have marked up maps for loads of people and if I was feeling lazy, posted off the maps to them for them to copy themselves. I did have spare unmarked maps covering most of the country south of the border and donated these to the local TRF group. Marked maps went to a few people that wanted them, I'm sure that there are a couple of ABR riders /readers that received some. I hope the passed on the sacred info to others.

PS, The friendliest bunch of old farts that I have met in recent years is the South Lincs, (Peterborough), VMCC. Had some cracking rides this year, all to often starting at a bike friendly café and ending up at a members home for barbeque, beer, cakes, soft drinks, coffee, variety of puddings. I try to avoid a roast meal if there is a lunch time stop. This club should carry a health warning. Also they run an amazing selection of bikes. Everybody is welcome, whether they are riding a Panther, modern Trumpet or Honda. They set a decent pace, not slow as you might think. Good routes on some of the back roads and route maps printed off for everybody. (thumbs) (thumbs)
-Ralph-

TRF becomming Extinct?

Post by -Ralph- »

I hate to say I told you so chaps, but I'm now reading the same people on here slagging the TRF and Mario who flamed me for having a negative opinion on both in previous years.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Return to “GREEN LANES, TRAILS and OFF-ROAD”