TRF becomming Extinct?

Reports, meets and other stuff on how to trash the bike with a grin on your chops.
Philiptigerrice

Re: TRF becomming Extinct?

Post by Philiptigerrice »

I agree with Andy B....

I joined for a year last year - I found the forums to be confusing and secretive.

One group would suggest I join another group - then they'd suggest I join someone else.

It struck me that it isn't really a national group whatsoever - its a gaggle of local groups - for local people - who don't trust the other groups - and bicker a lot.

In the end - having started off keen as mustard - I effectively paid £45 for a f*cking sticker.

Peoples Front Of Judea sprung to mind. :dry:
Greater Manchester
R1200 GS Adv ('08)
Locksmith

Post by Locksmith »

+1 on the above, exactly how i see it. Been a member for 2 years and got nothing from it. They wont be getting any more money from me. Finding your own legal trails is quite easy if you spend time looking at OS mapping and spending some time researching. Ask them for advise on trails and everything goes quiet and secretive. Its a shame as it could be quite a good organisation if it was ran and managed better.
Suzuki DL650 (Wee) with many nice mods ..

Yamaha XT660Z Tenere also modded ..

http://www.v-strom.co.uk/phpBB3/

http://www.adventurebikers.net/forum/index.php
Philiptigerrice

Post by Philiptigerrice »

I was cross really in the end

I went in totally open minded - but happen to live in reach of Manchester, Cheshire, Lancs and West Yorks - I don't think that helped really...

They had lots of campaigns running to get members in - I was offered loooaaads of stuff to buy - and was sent questionnaires to fill in - some new guy was in charge and all the rest of it. We were even asked to vote on a new logo - everything was gonna be new - it was an exciting change - the TRF was going to come of age...

But when it actually boiled down to getting a ride out - each group would suggest I goto the other - or - Ring Dave - he's in charge of the ride outs.... Or - meet up at such and such a pub - and we'll tell you where we're going when we meet up - or - you'll find out when you've attended a few meetings - all that sort of nonsense.

I imagine that if you wanted to go and watch dog fighting - or buy a knocked off telly - it would be a bit like trying to get a ride out - or some info on green lanes with the TRF :P

I got the impression that each group was actually a clique of mates - who didn't really want Johnny Nobody turning up - and I also wondered if they were riding illegally too, the way some of it was a bit cloak n dagger.

Preposterous Bollocks - the lot of it.

ABR has been 1000000% more helpful, caring, friendly & easy to get into.

Fab job ABR (thumbs) And - with ABR - I get a decent magazine in with my money :)
Greater Manchester
R1200 GS Adv ('08)
micksea

Post by micksea »

I've always wanted to join the TRF but always come across the kind of opinions posted in this thread,glad I've never bothered really.hopefully it will die a quick death and real enthusiasts will start a new organization with a fresh outlook.
herman

Post by herman »

I joined a few years ago and unfortunately had the same experience as voiced above. New members were viewed with suspicion which was a shame as I have been riding the trails for many years legally and felt I could contribute something back. Not all groups are the same I know but mine was :(
The secret of a long life is knowing when its time to go.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

quote /// ..real enthusiasts will start a new organization with a fresh outlook.//

I was just thinking the same thing. There is still a need for the TRF in its present form though, for lobbying MPs, fighting legal cases, general educations of members etc.. perhaps another divisions or another body is needed to do the more normal fun things like, slopping out mud, chopping trees, cutting grass, mashing stones, filling trenches etc .. o and maybe the odd rideout .. while welcoming new members, keeping new members, consulting new members, involving all members, ..allowing voting by computer, notices of rideouts and plans by computer, .. maps of legal trails made easy by computer ... you know, normal stuff that people want, not necessarily specific in detail, but with ease of contact online and by text etc. o .. and INCLUSION of all, even novices, in rides, even abroad.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

I for one, have found that lobbying MPs does very little to change things ... tho I appreciate that it is a long-term effect that is made, through build up of letters. ,, and I suppose if the TRF don't do it no-one will?
peterjt

Post by peterjt »

Crossrutted wrote:Many members are keen to see the latest accounts. :unsure:
I think you are only going to see a very curtailed version and then only at the AGM.

I have already asked questions and been refused answers.

One of the questions that is going to be asked at the AGM is

How many directors also act as contractors and for this contract work what have they been paid. Again I expect the answer will be that that information is confidential.
peterjt

Post by peterjt »

kito wrote:What about putting comments in the shared emails that go out to TRF members ? Once it's there it can't be removed can it ?
This is controlled by one of the directors therefore member will not be allowed to add comments to be sent out. If that is not the case I hope to be pleasantly surprised.
peterjt

Post by peterjt »

Philiptigerrice wrote:I was cross really in the end

I went in totally open minded - but happen to live in reach of Manchester, Cheshire, Lancs and West Yorks - I don't think that helped really...

They had lots of campaigns running to get members in - I was offered loooaaads of stuff to buy - and was sent questionnaires to fill in - some new guy was in charge and all the rest of it. We were even asked to vote on a new logo - everything was gonna be new - it was an exciting change - the TRF was going to come of age...

But when it actually boiled down to getting a ride out - each group would suggest I goto the other - or - Ring Dave - he's in charge of the ride outs.... Or - meet up at such and such a pub - and we'll tell you where we're going when we meet up - or - you'll find out when you've attended a few meetings - all that sort of nonsense.

I imagine that if you wanted to go and watch dog fighting - or buy a knocked off telly - it would be a bit like trying to get a ride out - or some info on green lanes with the TRF :P

I got the impression that each group was actually a clique of mates - who didn't really want Johnny Nobody turning up - and I also wondered if they were riding illegally too, the way some of it was a bit cloak n dagger.

Preposterous Bollocks - the lot of it.

ABR has been 1000000% more helpful, caring, friendly & easy to get into.

Fab job ABR (thumbs) And - with ABR - I get a decent magazine in with my money :)
Sorry if you have had an unhappy experience, but from the area you are in can I suggest you contact Manchester TRF, you will hopefully find a group of very friendly people who will take you nothing secret, all they will not do is send routes to people who are not members.

Only a couple of weeks ago a Manchester member organised a ride in North Wales so that he could take out a member from I think the Milton Keynes area. That is the true spirit of Fellowship.

Yes the TRF is a National organisation as regards Rights of Way but if you want to ride then they are a conglomeration of independent riding groups.

This unfortunately is not always expressed by the National part of the organisation

Return to “GREEN LANES, TRAILS and OFF-ROAD”