TRF becomming Extinct?

Reports, meets and other stuff on how to trash the bike with a grin on your chops.
johnnyboxer

TRF becomming Extinct?

Post by johnnyboxer »

-Ralph- wrote:I hate to say I told you so chaps, but I'm now reading the same people on here slagging the TRF and Mario who flamed me for having a negative opinion on both in previous years.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
You have been proved right & we were wrong
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
micksea

Re: TRF becomming Extinct?

Post by micksea »

Sounds like the TRF is going the way of most secretive,underground groups (it's own behaviour makes it one even if it appears to have a public image),it's killing itself with infighting and shrinking it's support Base.why doesn't it welcome ALL new members openly and give them a few lesser used lanes as a starter.this would maintain a presence on more lanes and get it into the publics physcie that trail bikes have a right to be there.if bikes are rarely seen it creates the impression that they are out of place,giving the other trail users an easy target to go after.more people using lanes means more money for the TRF,more bodies to repair and maintain lanes and more importantly a bigger and regular presence on the lanes.if other trail users don't like sharing with bikes they will soon migrate to lanes that bikes don't use.being a small seldom seen minority is the biggest problem
Bojer

Post by Bojer »

I joined the TRF about 20 years ago and at the time it looked like it was trying to get away from its cliquey (sp?) secretive old self but there were always those who suggested that maybe we should al ride Honda C90s and dress like we were farm labourers so as to blend in and not be seen as motorcyclists at all !

I went to a few meetings on my own and got a reasonable welcome at the time and was invited out on a few rides. At the time they used to run a Coast to Coast ride and we used to consider this a bit of a highlight of the year :) Even this was frowned upon by some members as too high profile at the time I recall .

After about 3 years I let my membership lapse , it was suggested the TRF did not want members who just paid their subs but wanted you to be actively campaigning . Fair enough but having an increased bank balance just for sending out a few magazines and stickers you'd think was a good thing ? Seem to recall there was a problem with a treasurer absconding with funds that was all a bit hushed up at the time too ?
Paul_C

Post by Paul_C »

As a quiet, back seat, member I think we may have been dreaming. I woke this morning to find all the posts asking questions seem to have been a figment of my imagination.
Any problem clearly never existed.

Virtual Prozac.
Just along for the ride.
Husqvarna 901 Norden. Husqvarna 701 Enduro. Moto Guzzi LeMans II.
johnnyboxer

TRF becomming Extinct?

Post by johnnyboxer »

Bojer wrote:I joined the TRF about 20 years ago and at the time it looked like it was trying to get away from its cliquey (sp?) secretive old self but there were always those who suggested that maybe we should al ride Honda C90s and dress like we were farm labourers so as to blend in and not be seen as motorcyclists at all !

I went to a few meetings on my own and got a reasonable welcome at the time and was invited out on a few rides. At the time they used to run a Coast to Coast ride and we used to consider this a bit of a highlight of the year :) Even this was frowned upon by some members as too high profile at the time I recall .

After about 3 years I let my membership lapse , it was suggested the TRF did not want members who just paid their subs but wanted you to be actively campaigning . Fair enough but having an increased bank balance just for sending out a few magazines and stickers you'd think was a good thing ? Seem to recall there was a problem with a treasurer absconding with funds that was all a bit hushed up at the time too ?

I remember those days & the rest

I gave it a miss in the early 2000's but rejoined about 5 years ago

Nothing much has changed
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
scoobydidler

Post by scoobydidler »

daytona-supersport wrote:
scoobydidler wrote:Well i'm most definitely northern. I attended a local TRF "open evening" at a bike dealership i know well so i was very comfortable in the surroundings.

The night was the weirdest, cliqueyest, least "open", least friendly night i've ever had!
ABR, complete opposite.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
Yep, that sounds about right. I hope you did not ask if you could make a copy of marked up maps. They are on the top, top secret list and not for the likes of anybody not prepared to kiss the arse of the regional or section leader.

PS, I have marked up maps for loads of people and if I was feeling lazy, posted off the maps to them for them to copy themselves. I did have spare unmarked maps covering most of the country south of the border and donated these to the local TRF group. Marked maps went to a few people that wanted them, I'm sure that there are a couple of ABR riders /readers that received some. I hope the passed on the sacred info to others.

PS, The friendliest bunch of old farts that I have met in recent years is the South Lincs, (Peterborough), VMCC. Had some cracking rides this year, all to often starting at a bike friendly café and ending up at a members home for barbeque, beer, cakes, soft drinks, coffee, variety of puddings. I try to avoid a roast meal if there is a lunch time stop. This club should carry a health warning. Also they run an amazing selection of bikes. Everybody is welcome, whether they are riding a Panther, modern Trumpet or Honda. They set a decent pace, not slow as you might think. Good routes on some of the back roads and route maps printed off for everybody. (thumbs) (thumbs)
Sounds so simple! Who doesn't like riding their bike, having a beer, talking about bikes and going for a curry in the company of likeminded souls?

Glad i'm not missing a trick.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk
Old Git Ray

Post by Old Git Ray »

-Ralph- wrote:I hate to say I told you so chaps, but I'm now reading the same people on here slagging the TRF and Mario who flamed me for having a negative opinion on both in previous years.

Who is Mario ? Nooby question !
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

Old Git Ray wrote:

Google is your friend. Stick Mario and TRF in the same search.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

Old Git Ray wrote:

All the Directors are listed here

http://www.trf.org.uk/find-your-regional-group/
Tony AKA MAD COW

KTM 1090 Adventure R

KTM 450 EXC Rally

MY BLOG
Crossrutted

Post by Crossrutted »

Old Git Ray wrote:
Some say he is a Rambler sleeper, now activated to destroy the TRF from within,

Other say he is the new Messiah, (only Herts TRF members say this btw)

But we call him the ........ (insert word of choice :lol: :lol: :lol: )

Return to “GREEN LANES, TRAILS and OFF-ROAD”