OS map numbers

Reports, meets and other stuff on how to trash the bike with a grin on your chops.
kito

OS map numbers

Post by kito »

Hi I was thinking of buying a few OSmaps to start marking all legal green lanes in north Wales onto. So could someone recommend what are the most usefull map numbers to buy first to get me going as I don't want to be spending a fortune on loads of maps .especialy ones that will only have the odd lane on them.
Thanks kito
exrm193

Re: OS map numbers

Post by exrm193 »

Go to the Ordnance survey web site, the list is there for both 1/25 & 1/50 thou maps
Lairyskippy

Post by Lairyskippy »

If you want to do it on the cheap have a look at this link;

http://maps.the-hug.net/

You can browse the same mapping for free, identify the motor able lanes and then plot a track along each one before saving each track as a .gpx file. These should open up in a variety of software packages including Garmin systems.

I've used this approach on many occasions and found it to be a useful exercise, it's also saved me buying too many paper maps.
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

Hello Kito, N Wales sounds a bit tame for you, maps- personally I prefer 1:50,000 landranger series although 1:25 does have use. If you can list some Towns/locations as centres of interest to you I'll look up which 1:50's will suit best.If you going out to play this weekend as I am take care ,lot of the local boys down here given their bikes an inadvertant wash inside their engines aswell as out in the last few days. Splash lots stay safe. PS if we can get a N/S or S/N going this year count me in 640 going again after some Spanish hicups Paul.
kito

Post by kito »

Hi Paul good to hear from you. I asked a few months back about doing the s-n Wales ride again. The was a bit of interest. I had though about a winter trip staying in hostels,guesthouses each night but I think it's looking more like spring now but if the was interest I'd ride now haha
kito

Post by kito »

I was thinking of trails round chirk, Oswestry way
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

1:50 for Chirk and Oswestry is nunber 126 also consider 125,117 and 116 good lane hunting!
BigBashBonanza

Post by BigBashBonanza »

Follow the link to OS, type in the location you're interested in (town, area or postcode) and it will give you the map number for 1:25,000 or 1:50,000 sheets.....

http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk
Look Large, Be Massive

Follow the Sapper
Selous

Post by Selous »

Hi before you go riding of to OS & buy maps, there are plenty of places to get your maps for free if you know the maps / area you need & or size you want.

You know you can buy maps from OS already covered to save having to put hairspray or fablon on after, or in a map case.

However if you want only smaller areas & not waste £££ here are a few options to look here OS Open Space Maps these are the OS maps with out buying just print off what you need put in map case, of course depending on length of ride & area

or this handy tool split screen with os map & satalight / terrain & other choices pic you can changeover the views to suite so you can plot your self.

wheres the path

OS maps by hug Maps hug the net

have a look may be of help.

We are the Pilgrims, master; we shall go Always a little further: it may be Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow, Across that angry or that glimmering sea.

Artificers Masonic Motorcycle Association

http://www.amma-uk.com
Mike101

Post by Mike101 »

I spent 5 long tough years working for OS in southampton.

There is a lot of data that is free either in electronic or paper form.

http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/busines ... ducts.html

The link above is to the OS opendata site where you can see what is free and in what format.

However the maps that we use for trail riding are not free as they are the most expensive to maintain...also they are a good revenue stream.

There is also a "free maps for schools" programme where each school aged child in the UK can get one free map of their choice each year. You would be surprised how many schools just don't do this.

If anybody in insterested in how OS do their stuff i can let you know more. I spent 5 years working in the IT dept so i have a vey good understandinh on how things are created. OS really do lead the entire world in maping technology and it's a govt dept we should be proud of....even if the management are a bunch of !!!!!!

Mike
And the beast shall be huge and black, and the eyes thereof red with the blood of living creatures, and the whore of Babylon shall ride forth on a three-headed serpent, and throughout the lands, there'll be a great rubbing of parts

Return to “GREEN LANES, TRAILS and OFF-ROAD”