500kg weight limit on lanes ?

Reports, meets and other stuff on how to trash the bike with a grin on your chops.
Tramp

Re: 500kg weight limit on lanes ?

Post by Tramp »

As I see it.....
most greenlanes are just old byeways used by country folk to get about before roads existed..they used them whatever the weather...

The rise of affulent people and more spare time has lead to people using them as recreational use...back in the 70's they werent used as much and most where overgrown..so if we are to continue to use them for hobby use we as the users should do something to maintain and protect them ..thats all folk.

But that aint gonna happen as we as a nation not individuals cant get along together fullstop...certain counties have better sharing than others...and also more lanes to share the burden..

but open up the surface and get water and frost in and yep errosion will do its worst...

edited for balance....

They are classed as "public highway" we pay tax and insurance so have the right to use them...so the local council highways dept have central and local funding to keep them fit for use ..but they also have the laws to close them to certain traffic [which they deem to cause the distruction]....so we cant win...restrictions dont stop damage just mean cheaper to fix..its all down to money :woohoo: 44t to 18t to 7.5t to 3.5t...

trail riders are small in number compared to the haulage groups and they cant achieve anything...also we pay more road tax as we cause more damage..

just my views
beddowsm

Post by beddowsm »

They have done this on some lanes in the Isle Of Man, 500KG weight restrictions. I think its a good idea before a perm TRO is slapped on lanes.

Bike, when ridden correctly (no smart arse comments about my riding!) can cause less damage than 4x4's.......
MHsnowy

Post by MHsnowy »

It appears that some 4x4 drivers feel the need to get themselves stuck or dug in for the challenge of getting out. Driving along with 2 wheels in the farmers field digging a nice trench spinning up the wheels. I think there is a time and place for this and our byways etc is not it.

Save this for the specific off road areas where they don't mind this going on.

Horses aren't completely blameless and certainly do far more damage than they are given credit to. Where you have a half a ton of horse spread ove those thin legs they are going to dig in and not spread the load.

(these are only my opinions and observations)
jackass dave

Post by jackass dave »

that rules out most americans then
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

felco wrote:Good idea or what?we have weight limits on tarmac roads so why not green lanes?most of our green lanes arnt up to the job of taking heavy traffic, So your comments please.
I think it's a crock of you know what and would divide those of us that use the lanes in motorised vehicles into two camps.

Yes, a lot of 4x4 drivers go a few hundred yards up lanes then realise it's a bit too tough for them and reverse back causing a bit of damage but we need to be united to fight off those that want a blanket ban on motorised vehicles on green lanes.
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

The problem with this is that everyone has their own "opinion" as to the issue. Most of those opinions are just wrong and rooted in prejudice against another user group. Let's have something factual about the erosion of routes and what causes it. Here's a short film which explains it on tracks which are not used by motorised vehicles.

[video width=425 height=344 type=youtube]bUPYcVmtAIk[/video]
hornet

Post by hornet »

Many well thought out restrictions for vehicals with more than 2 wheels around here largely thanks to the ROW officer from cambridshire. By having tempory experimental restrictions reveiwed many lanes now remain open as it proved how much damage was being caused by the weight of the 4 wheelers when the lanes were very soft. They tend to run from end of october to end of march.

Yes it could well be interpreted as trying to drive a wedge between natural bedfellows but applying some common has helped around here

hornet
Two wheels roaming. My FB page
sandi

Post by sandi »

I think that the folk who reckon 4x4 do more damage than motorbikes ie wheel spinning etc. Each group has an element of idiots who dont play by the rules>Ive seen ,on the isle of man , scramble bikes treating the lanes as a scramble track the more muddy and loud they are the better it is for them it seems.Yes I have a land rover I also have a vstrom and an xt500. A lot of 4x4 clubs do go out to green lane and also help maintain the lanes by cutting back,clearing rubbish,ie old burnt out cars washing maschines etc,also putting hard core down so other users can enjoy them.other users being horse riders, ramblers ,motorcyclists,and yes 4x4 drivers.So as we all enjoy our offroad passtime maybe we should'nt think of who should be banned from using them, just use them gently and curtiously and we should all be happy :)
ktmpedro220

Post by ktmpedro220 »

I'd have to go on a diet even before getting on my bike! Lol! :silly:
MHsnowy

Post by MHsnowy »

Walkers and the weather do cause erosion but over a longer period of time.
There are idiots in all groups and most of the idiots on bikes you won't stop anyway as they are riding illegally so ride where they want. The 4x4's are fully legal and it's a deliberate act to cause the damage and get stuck.

It is the interest of the 4x4's to cut back and keep the lanes clear as otherwise they get too narrow for them to get through.

I am not against any user group unless they are responsible for causing unecasary damage which in turn spoils it for others.

Return to “GREEN LANES, TRAILS and OFF-ROAD”