How to improve your riding...Most important riding skill?

If you know how to do something, share it with other members. i.e How to fix a puncture...How to ship a bike to Alaska etc. The post with the most 'Thank You' votes in a month wins an ABR Hoodie.
SteveR
Posts: 3220
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:09 pm
Has thanked: 196 times
Been thanked: 73 times

Re: How to improve your riding...Most important riding skill?

Post by SteveR » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:48 am

Richard Simpson Mark II wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:37 am
After over 4 decades of riding, I'd say the most important skill is not falling off.

It's one I still hope to master!

(although on my 950 I always opt to let the thing fall gently, rather then fight it and have it win!)
There speaks a trail rider of experience..... MUCH experience! :-)

Pre-order your limited edition ABR T-shirts
sledgegreen
Posts: 306
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 9:34 am
Been thanked: 17 times

Re: How to improve your riding...Most important riding skill?

Post by sledgegreen » Sat Sep 26, 2020 9:16 pm

I think that many people have misread the question. It seems that many people are answering the question "what is the most important riding skill?", and I would go along with Yoyo - observation. That underpins so many other aspects of riding

But the question actually asks "what do I most need to improve?", and for me that is practically every thing else. I haven't been able to ride for a while, so all my bike handling skills are a bit rusty. Observation skills are probably less rusty, because I have been able to drive and cycle.

User avatar
bowber
Posts: 2196
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:48 pm
Has thanked: 24 times
Been thanked: 155 times

Re: How to improve your riding...Most important riding skill?

Post by bowber » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:13 am

Training and practice.

Steve

Richard Simpson Mark II
Posts: 1897
Joined: Tue May 09, 2017 9:03 pm
Has thanked: 705 times
Been thanked: 979 times

Re: How to improve your riding...Most important riding skill?

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II » Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:45 am

SteveR wrote:
Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:48 am
Richard Simpson Mark II wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:37 am
After over 4 decades of riding, I'd say the most important skill is not falling off.

It's one I still hope to master!

(although on my 950 I always opt to let the thing fall gently, rather then fight it and have it win!)
There speaks a trail rider of experience..... MUCH experience! :-)

I'm really good at falling off...apart from the time I filled my helmet with rocks in Morocco, and the 'elbow down' high-side onto the tank ramp on Salisbury Plain.
Apart from that...43 years of riding (and falling off) without injury.

bikenav
Posts: 799
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:46 pm
Location: Llanelli
Has thanked: 607 times
Been thanked: 334 times

Re: How to improve your riding...Most important riding skill?

Post by bikenav » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:06 pm

slowing down first, you learn more by going slower both road and trail, then learn to speed up (if you wish to) more safely Wish someone told me that a long time ago would have saved me a lot of plastic and plasters.

User avatar
Misti
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:01 pm
Location: North Vancouver
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: How to improve your riding...Most important riding skill?

Post by Misti » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:28 pm

Sanqhar wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:04 am
Confidence.

tom
Confidence is really important but is that something that you can just get? How do you gain confidence when ridng? Are there skills or techniques that help make a rider more confident?

User avatar
Misti
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:01 pm
Location: North Vancouver
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: How to improve your riding...Most important riding skill?

Post by Misti » Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:32 pm

mechanic wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:55 am
Being at one with the bike.
Love this. Being at one with the bike. These are great answers but let's look more deeply. HOW do you get to be one with your bike? How can some riders seem to BE ONE with their bikes while others seem detached, less fluid? Is it something they are doing on the bike, or a mindset?

Chunkychops
Posts: 155
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:54 pm
Has thanked: 48 times
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: How to improve your riding...Most important riding skill?

Post by Chunkychops » Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:33 pm

Misti wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:32 pm
mechanic wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:55 am
Being at one with the bike.
Love this. Being at one with the bike. These are great answers but let's look more deeply. HOW do you get to be one with your bike? How can some riders seem to BE ONE with their bikes while others seem detached, less fluid? Is it something they are doing on the bike, or a mindset?
You get to be 'at one' with the bike by cutting out the mental chatter and dropping your ego and being absolutely in the here and now - don't ride the bike to impress your mates. I know it sounds hippy but ask any world class athlete - they are 100% focused and that's where we need to be on the bike and road.

Barftone
Posts: 251
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:15 pm
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 49 times

Re: How to improve your riding...Most important riding skill?

Post by Barftone » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:35 pm

Think Smooooooth was one of the best and simplest ones to remember quickly.

User avatar
Misti
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:01 pm
Location: North Vancouver
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: How to improve your riding...Most important riding skill?

Post by Misti » Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:51 pm

Chunkychops wrote:
Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:33 pm
Misti wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 11:32 pm
mechanic wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:55 am
Being at one with the bike.
Love this. Being at one with the bike. These are great answers but let's look more deeply. HOW do you get to be one with your bike? How can some riders seem to BE ONE with their bikes while others seem detached, less fluid? Is it something they are doing on the bike, or a mindset?
You get to be 'at one' with the bike by cutting out the mental chatter and dropping your ego and being absolutely in the here and now - don't ride the bike to impress your mates. I know it sounds hippy but ask any world class athlete - they are 100% focused and that's where we need to be on the bike and road.
This is one of the main reasons why I ride/race in the first place, because I HAVE to be 100% focussed on what I'm doing. In my regular life my head is full of constant racing thoughts and mental chatter and I find it hard to concentrate and stay focussed on anything really. I kind of bounce around and think of things like a spinning top, but when I am riding all of that falls away and I'm just there in the moment, riding. Its one of the only things I do where I have to remain so focussed.

Post Reply

Return to “HOW TO..........”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 28 guests