Any advice how to ride with a broken 5th metatarsal on your right foot?

If you know how to do something, share it with other members. i.e How to fix a puncture...How to ship a bike to Alaska etc. The post with the most 'Thank You' votes in a month wins an ABR Hoodie.
Geecee68

Any advice how to ride with a broken 5th metatarsal on your right foot?

Post by Geecee68 »

As the title says. It doesn't hurt particularly. I have a week before I need to do any distance. Rest Ice and Elevation.

I'm sure some folks here would have had similar injuries and might have some ideas.
Nigel

Re: Any advice how to ride with a broken 5th metatarsal on your right foot?

Post by Nigel »

Broke mine last year, God knows how? After months of hobbling I literally couldn't walk😯 so doc, hospital, x ray and boot for 3 weeks, actually took 2 weeks off work to rest it, ( walk a lot at work) which I never do.
It healed but for a long while I daren't put bike on centrestand with right foot and it's bloody awkward with left one :lol:

Depends how bad it's broken but rest it as much as you can.
Geecee68

Post by Geecee68 »

Looks messy, but I'm not a doctor.
Attachments
bUoSGEy5SM6hoPj9IIm5kA.jpg
bUoSGEy5SM6hoPj9IIm5kA.jpg (61.42 KiB) Viewed 4090 times
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Ouch! Mine was a clean break but walking on it for months probably didn't help :lol:
Take it easy but as you don't need to change gear with it should be ok?
Mine hurt when I cycled with no weight on it so I guessed something wasn't right!
Geecee68

Post by Geecee68 »

I'm going to take it very easy over the next week!
PDiddy

Post by PDiddy »

Did the doctor not mention surgery?? The NHS will do the least amount possible to get you out of the door and on the mend.
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Broke my right foot as yours years ago in a bike verses car side swipe accident....coulnt walk and has plaster cast fitted for 6 weeks....after 5 weeks in cast was okay...when cast removed i had full movement and could ride....but still weak spot for weeks later...

Suprised ut wasnt cast....do what the doctor says not what you want to do...

I wont preach but if you were advised not to walk or ride or drive and you have a accident youll have no insurance lol....dont be a smart ass 6 weeks isnt long ..
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

Ouch, just looked at that x-ray. Good luck with that one.
daveuprite

Post by daveuprite »

Depends a bit on what kind of bike and what type of riding you'll be doing. Sports bike riding, no problem, almost no need to use the back brake at all if you can't manage it. Same goes for many street/road bikes - you can get away without the rear brake in many situations of course. Or maybe you have a bike with linked brakes (e.g. some Guzzis, BMs and Hondas etc) - in which case let the front activate the rear for you. All that relies on you being able to put half your weight on the right hand peg obviously.

Dirt biking is a different story, although even then it depends if you're on the flat or descending steeply, which is where that broken toe would be agony I imagine.

Surely it will be getting on and off the bike, manoevering it at slow speed and putting it on a centre stand that will be the biggest problems. All I can recommend is that perennial injured rider's accessory - tramadol.
P4ulie

Post by P4ulie »

I had to ride with a broken metatarsal on my left foot 2 years back. Be aware even without the gear change issue , it will put your recovery back by months (mine still hurt 8 months later).

I had 2 weeks rest but had to go back to work & with a lot of walking between me & the office, riding was the only option (no car). Proper MX boots got me through changing gear & should give you an extra bit of support. I ended up wrecking the output shaft though & it was a really unpleasant 4-6 weeks :|

Hope it heals well
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything

Return to “HOW TO..........”