Any advice how to ride with a broken 5th metatarsal on your right foot?

If you know how to do something, share it with other members. i.e How to fix a puncture...How to ship a bike to Alaska etc. The post with the most 'Thank You' votes in a month wins an ABR Hoodie.
chunky butt

Re: Any advice how to ride with a broken 5th metatarsal on your right foot?

Post by chunky butt »

Twist and go scooter, the way forward for you, I think the big scooters are really cool.
Misti

Post by Misti »

Carefully? Use pain as your guide? Maybe wear dirtbike boots or something that will hold your foot in place better and provide more protection and support? I hope it heals up nicely for you!
Geecee68

Post by Geecee68 »

4 days later and it aches a bit at the end of the day but can't say it really hurts. Same goes for the swelling, nothing in the morning, but if I'm up for an extended time it swells. Managed to get it in a bike boot today without any big issues. Rainbow bruising as you'd expect.

Many thanks for all of the above advice, and particularly for the total lack of "Don't ride and stay at home" which I'm getting plenty of from the Missus.

I've had this trip planned for almost a year. Was cancelled in June due to lock down, and after the year I've had even if I had my leg off I'd be going.

Worst case is I get going and its a no go and I head back. Best case is I get there and do easy wide flat ish trails and R&R in between.

Finally - Any recommendations for MX boots that are built like ski boots would be welcomed.
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Ride safe and have a enjoyable trip... Take plenty of 400mg ibuprophen to keep sweeping down...

But that's the body saying your a bloody idiot for going lol..
sledgegreen

Post by sledgegreen »

Misti wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:25 pm Carefully? Use pain as your guide? Maybe wear dirtbike boots or something that will hold your foot in place better and provide more protection and support? I hope it heals up nicely for you!
I was having exactly the same thoughts as I read this. Wear boots which will offer maximum support, and if it hurts too much, ease off.

One thing to consider is what happens if you end up in an emergency braking situation? Will stamping on the brake cause such extreme pain that it makes controlling the bike difficult?
Geecee68

Post by Geecee68 »

As a follow up it took a full 6 weeks to heal, probably 8 in total so that there were no twinges or aches. I bought a pair of Alpinestar Tech3's (which weigh more than me), which are like ski boots as my new go to off road boot. Not as comfortable as my Forma's but solid, warm and waterproof.

Return to “HOW TO..........”