insurance claim advice required

If you know how to do something, share it with other members. i.e How to fix a puncture...How to ship a bike to Alaska etc. The post with the most 'Thank You' votes in a month wins an ABR Hoodie.
motorbike

insurance claim advice required

Post by motorbike »

had to claim against my motorhome insurance ...do i have to inform my motorcycle insurance if this even though it is not yet due for renual ...( they are separate insurance companies) :roll:
AlanHolt

Re: insurance claim advice required

Post by AlanHolt »

Most policies now require information about 'any' claims in the past 5 years. So you should notify your car and bike insurers. I once struggled to get a quote for bike insurance because I had a claim for glass against my car 2 years previously and forgot to mention it.
Current bike is a Yamaha T7
rodyorkabr

Post by rodyorkabr »

This is an interesting topic- one I'm never sure about!- If you mention you have 12 yrs no claims from Biking, when trying to secure car insurance- they don't want to know- but interestingly...they want to know about any accidents on the bikes, so they can adjust accordingly...has anyone got any advice on whats the best way to approach this dilemma please?
PaulinBont

Post by PaulinBont »

I would disclose, ok your premiums may go up but that is better than having any future claim rejected; worse case scenario- you cause an accident and someone claims against you and the underwriters refuses to pay out on your behalf and you end up having to meet a very expensive garage bill from your own funds.

My bike fell over in a Swiss car park due to a combination of camber, loose soil and being top heavy; unfortunately the pannier ended up leaning against a car wing - even though the car arrived later and parked too close to my bike!

When the car owner claimed off my insurance, CN treated the claim as if the blame was 100% mine, no skin off their nose they just hiked my premiums up.

The process was hard work-harder than it needed to be. Their systems couldn't register a claim where I wasn't anywhere near the bike at the time but their systems needed to register that I was in charge of the vehicle at the time of the 'collision'.

A complete 'mare!

Lesson learned the hard way gents: park as far away from anyone as possible and yes, all my car and bike premiums have gone up despite Protected NCB
Old Git Ray

Post by Old Git Ray »

This is a conundrum.

It is right (or more correctly wrong- morally at least) that all claims in all disciplines of motoring need to be declared as has been said above to stop a claim being paid out.
However, it is very unlikely that a third party claim would be turned down as it would then just dafault to the uninsured driver scheme that we all pay for as a pecentage of our normal premiums already (my daughter is an insurance broker and I asked her).

The problem is that, the usual question is not "whether you have claimed", but more often, "whether you have had any accidents". It does not specify if that is an old banger that you wrote off, or a cup of coffee you dropped and smashed on the kitchen floor (my wife would call that an accident). Silly extremes I know, but without specific perameters, it is difficult to answer the question truthfully.

I give you an example, like Alan above, I claimed for a new windscreen, on my motorhome, as it had a crack in it. My insurers specifically stated that this claim would not go against my (full) no claim discount. I knew this when I took the policy out. Now, strictly speaking , an accident occurred wherby another unknown driver (car) threw up a stone and it hit my window. With no one else to blame it was all down to me and I claimed for a new screen.

I have 6 vehicles and the question is, should I declare that as an accident or a claim to all them too.

Especially when you consider that I have to earn NCD on each vehicle seperatly, but a claim on one will effect them all.

As 'rodyorkabr' eluded to, it is a seriously unfair system that needs Governmental control. Since continuous insurance has become law, insurers are just taking the piss.

This is the question cut and pasted from my Carole Nash policy:

"Have you or any person who may ride had any accident or loss (fire, theft or any other cause) in the last three years involving any motor vehicle (of any kind)? This includes any accident or loss not covered or claimed under an insurance policy, and whether at fault or not. If yes, please give details below."

The word "any" is used 6 times in this question. Go figure !!!!
Old Git Ray

Post by Old Git Ray »

One more thing.

When the broker queitly slips into the conversation that they MAY supply your information to other companies/agencies whilst they are boring you with their endless terms and conditions, what they really mean is that they WILL. Each time you make an enquiry about insurance in any format, that data is logged, shared and available to all insurance companies.
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

Just to highlight what Ray said: the insurance companies have been sharing data for decades, and can use things like your Driver Number to identify you even if you have moved house between incidents.

Also, brokers will pass your data on to a whole range of insurers and underwriters when finding you a quote, and you won't know which ones.

Insurers are within their rights to sell you a policy, and then make a lower payout (or no payout at all) to you if you have failed to disclose a material fact in your application. They don't check every answer at the time you make your proposal, but they do when you make a claim. They are still obliged to pay out on third-party claims, but have the right to recover their loss from you the policy holder.

It's not fair...but then there is a whole 'industry' built around false motor insurance claims, and motor insurance is unprofitable for insurers at the moment.

If your bike falls over in the garage and you bust a few hundred quid's worth of parts the best thing to do regarding claiming from your insurance is nothing at all.
vRSG60

Post by vRSG60 »

As has been said, NCB is earned separately yet a claim on 1 policy affects them all.
Highway robbery, literally.

Old Git Ray wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:45 am
As 'rodyorkabr' eluded to, it is a seriously unfair system that needs Governmental control. Since continuous insurance has become law, insurers are just taking the piss.
I agree.
Out On The Floor - Keep The Faith
motorbike

Post by motorbike »

hi..ii contacted my motorcycle and car insurance today to inform them of my motorhome claim...my car quote rose by £10 and no no claims discount lost...my bike insurance mentained that they only needed informed at renual.however the car insurance told me that all insurance policys should be informed asap.. as i recently sold my scooter on my multibike policy they removed it and told me that they should be informed of a sale within two weeks of the vehicle being sold...(that the law).cheers

Return to “HOW TO..........”