Repairing a puncture on the trail.

If you know how to do something, share it with other members. i.e How to fix a puncture...How to ship a bike to Alaska etc. The post with the most 'Thank You' votes in a month wins an ABR Hoodie.
captinktm

Repairing a puncture on the trail.

Post by captinktm »

This is a video of how I repair a puncture while out on the trail. It's not an adv bike but all the same tricks can be used.
daveuprite

Re: Repairing a puncture on the trail.

Post by daveuprite »

Great vid. Some really good tips there.

OR, if you are Phil in France, just kick it twenty-eight times...
micksea

Post by micksea »

good video,good to see how you modified your tools,impressive stuff
PHILinFRANCE

Post by PHILinFRANCE »

:lol: Only because i didn't have a big enough hammer :lol:
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

thanks captain ....i think id prefer a ugly stick to prop the bike up ..not sure thr shoulder method would work on your 990 :D

tbo me ccm is similar you can roll the wheel in from the rear and the tapers guide the spacers in place hasle free ...it would most deffo not work with me others the spacers would snag and drop out ..i use a bit of garden hose through the spindle to hang em on and push the hose out with the pin ..id need me two hands free to get the wheel on ...ease the spacers in ect

i dont think you would have such easy time with a150 section e09 thats for sure :D

but nice video and it looks like you have the routine for the ktm down to a tee .. some good tips

whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
captinktm

Post by captinktm »

minkyhead wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:59 pm thanks captain ....i think id prefer a ugly stick to prop the bike up ..not sure thr shoulder method would work on your 990 :D

tbo me ccm is similar you can roll the wheel in from the rear and the tapers guide the spacers in place hasle free ...it would most deffo not work with me others the spacers would snag and drop out ..i use a bit of garden hose through the spindle to hang em on and push the hose out with the pin ..id need me two hands free to get the wheel on ...ease the spacers in ect

i dont think you would have such easy time with a150 section e09 thats for sure :D

but nice video and it looks like you have the routine for the ktm down to a tee .. some good tips

[/quot

Ugly sick? Just more to carry.
Most guys have a centre stand on a 950, I do.
I did n't realise there were other makes of bike, with loose spacers. :P
I have been repairing my 950's back wheel punctures off road since 2003 and you are very right they are as std almost impossible, I took this up with KTM and they just said use bigger levers. Which of course is shite. But I do have a few tricks on these as well so guess I will do another vid. But in short, I grind off the lip on the wheel rim in two places, use the side stand to break the bead, and carry good levers. I also have a built in compressor to pop it back on the rim.
Thanks for your input, how about a vid doing the loose spacers bikes.
MotoCP

Post by MotoCP »

Good tutorial that Captain!

I just wish the guide I had whilst riding off road in Spain last week was as accomplished.
One of the riders had a front flat and the Spanish guide then managed to consecutively nip the only two new tubes we were carrying.
He kept levering on the tyre starting from the valve and rim lock side despite my suggestion to work the other way allowing the unobstructed tyre to pull further into the rim which then requires less aggressive levering.
Before he holed the last tube I said, a warm front tyre could be even heeled on with enough feet that were standing around so lets try that before using the levers.
He didn’t have any patches so the client had to ride back on a flat front ending our day early.
I wasn’t impressed!
captinktm

Post by captinktm »

MotoCP wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:45 pm Good tutorial that Captain!

I just wish the guide I had whilst riding off road in Spain last week was as accomplished.
One of the riders had a front flat and the Spanish guide then managed to consecutively nip the only two new tubes we were carrying.
He kept levering on the tyre starting from the valve and rim lock side despite my suggestion to work the other way allowing the unobstructed tyre to pull further into the rim which then requires less aggressive levering.
Before he holed the last tube I said, a warm front tyre could be even heeled on with enough feet that were standing around so lets try that before using the levers.
He didn’t have any patches so the client had to ride back on a flat front ending our day early.
I wasn’t impressed!
Oh yes it's a fact, that if your struggling then you aint doing it right. Well unless it's a KTM 150 rear then you gota get serious.
Crossrutted

Post by Crossrutted »

Thanks for putting that video together. Should help a lot of people.
I've been fitting my own tyres/tubes/mousses for years, however saw a few things there I will try next time.

Especially liked the modified space saving tools. 8-)
boboneleg

Post by boboneleg »

Nice video Captain :)
one-legged adventurer

Return to “HOW TO..........”