GoreTex + Exhaust = Mess

If you know how to do something, share it with other members. i.e How to fix a puncture...How to ship a bike to Alaska etc. The post with the most 'Thank You' votes in a month wins an ABR Hoodie.
Curzon

Re: GoreTex + Exhaust = Mess

Post by Curzon »

I did exactly the same on my KTM 1190, with my brand new Rukka trousers. The resulting black mark proved to be very hard to shift. I used medium grade emery paper to scrape of the black marks. Seemed a bit aggressive ad did leave scratch marks in the exhaust, but then progressed to progressively finer grade wet & dry paper, and finally polished out the scratches in the metal with Autosol.
The result was well worth the effort, left a slight patch on the exhaust link pipe that has shinier than the rest, but them proceeded to polish the surrounding area with Autosol to belnd in. Can only serve to protect the exhaust. Left a nice smell as the freshly autosoled exhaust heated up afterwards.
ledwardio

Post by ledwardio »

At least mine were only cheap(ish) Held trousers with few years on them, I feel your pain there.
Curzon

Post by Curzon »

Luckily the scorch mark on the trousers were on the bottom of the leg, the part that overlaps my boots, so not to detrimental on the waterproofing!
Dosa

Post by Dosa »

try using a brass bristled suede brush I just cleaned at least 8 years worth of road tar spots off my remus stainless end can and it looks like a normal brushed finish.
good luck
smudger272

Post by smudger272 »

I would be pissed off fucking my trousers up
Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

Go ride it, you cant see it whilst your riding :laugh:
deksawyer

Post by deksawyer »

See the post about Harpic - give that a go...
D.
ledwardio

Post by ledwardio »

Andi_Archer wrote:Go ride it, you cant see it whilst your riding :laugh:
Oh I do, I just keep spotting it and remembering I need to do something with it.

Thanks for your suggestions lads
ledwardio

Post by ledwardio »

Oop North John wrote:Might something like this help prevent damaging your clothing in the future:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Motorcycl ... 2438113673
I've decided to order one of these, see how it looks. Obviously it must now getting hand-crafted for me in China as the delivery estimate is up to 11 of August :blink:
Craig-SM

Post by Craig-SM »

Get the exhaust hot from riding it or applying heat to it then use a cotton cloth (old mircofibre cloth) wrapped around some thin wood to scrape it off with. This should remove the bulk of it without damaging the finish on the exhaust. More heat and the cotton cloth should remove the remainder.
Harpic won't shift but will remove any finish on the exhaust.
From cold you can try using a plastic type chisel to break off any large pieces.

Return to “HOW TO..........”