GoreTex + Exhaust = Mess

If you know how to do something, share it with other members. i.e How to fix a puncture...How to ship a bike to Alaska etc. The post with the most 'Thank You' votes in a month wins an ABR Hoodie.
ledwardio

GoreTex + Exhaust = Mess

Post by ledwardio »

As the title suggests I've managed to melt some of my trouser on the exhaust link pipe, resulting in a big black mess :unsure:
Anyone got any suggestion for getting it off without leaving any damage?
Tramp

Re: GoreTex + Exhaust = Mess

Post by Tramp »

Gas tourch lol...
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

run the bike for a while alot of it will burn off .. abit of solvo should do the rest
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
ledwardio

Post by ledwardio »

It's done well over two thousand miles since it happened so I reckon it's going to need some encouragement ;)
I wasn't sure whether it was better to attack while it was hot, and risk it spreading, or try and chip it away when cold :unsure:
Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

Post a pic of the damage that said getting it hot either riding or with a blow torch/heat gun etc and carefully use a metal scraper to encourage removal.
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

shame ..did the same on me ccm and it burnt away in time ....it was/is a stanless link pipe ..is it possible to fabrivate a heat sheild to cover the pipe ..then you cover the mark and protect your trousers ?? ..mine is thin alloy and slips into the clamp to secure it ..you could if needed just use a 2nd clamp on the link pipe to place it where you like
ImageDSC_0062 by minkyhead56, on Flickr[/img]

Imageaaaaaaa by minkyhead56, on Flickr[/img]
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
ledwardio

Post by ledwardio »

Will take a pic when I get home, but it looks similar to your first pic.
It's quite far back from my leg so isn't normally a problem, I'm not quite sure how it happened but I suspect it was when paddling the bike around in a French Toll Booth whilst swearing, there was always swearing :lol:
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

Hi, this has happened to me a few times over the years. The exhaust will clean off, its harder to repair the pants!!? Just get the exhaust nice and warm use a heat gun or propane torch if you have one. As the burnt on material softens, scrape it with a sharp blade, paint scraper etc. When 99% removed use metal polish or some other light abrasive/compound. Nice and shiny again!
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

Might something like this help prevent damaging your clothing in the future:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Motorcycl ... 2438113673
ledwardio

Post by ledwardio »

mechanic wrote:Hi, this has happened to me a few times over the years. The exhaust will clean off, its harder to repair the pants!!? Just get the exhaust nice and warm use a heat gun or propane torch if you have one. As the burnt on material softens, scrape it with a sharp blade, paint scraper etc. When 99% removed use metal polish or some other light abrasive/compound. Nice and shiny again!

Sounds like I'm going to need some elbow grease too - I'm sure theres some in the garage somewhere :P

Return to “HOW TO..........”