Selling a bike on eBay

If you know how to do something, share it with other members. i.e How to fix a puncture...How to ship a bike to Alaska etc. The post with the most 'Thank You' votes in a month wins an ABR Hoodie.
IJnoGSer

Selling a bike on eBay

Post by IJnoGSer »

So I want to sell my bike on eBay and our Euro friends to see it, And tips please?
Im guessing taking PayPal is a bad idea?
Thanks
Ian
Tramp

Re: Selling a bike on eBay

Post by Tramp »

Most euro countrys have specific sites they use..lebencoin in france etc...adv is good...i sold a 30k motorhome on ebay to a french guy...bank transfer was.safe and suited us both.....word of mouth is best and.folks are.always looking for a special bike..
frenchy3

Post by frenchy3 »

Have a reasonable reserve price set,if you have it on an auction you can still have a" buy it now" option which will disappear as soon as the first bid is place. I find high starting prices put people off and cost more on the listing so just put 0.99p You can now have a "classified ad" which will stay on longer. One of my tips is add at the end "this motorcycle is also advertised elsewhere and i have the right to remove it from auction at any time" I also state i will not take Paypal although i do offer this as an option to pay a securing deposit immediately after the auction finishes(most people who are genuine dont mind doing this and even if they dont turn up you have not lost out) I always get phone calls and texts and end up selling the bike outside ebay. They do frown on this and can suspend your account if they find you messaging people about your e-mail address and offers in messages. I have been lucky and never had a bad experience buying or selling vehicles. Do not be afraid of selling abroad i had two very genuine buyers from both Romania and Germany buying things from me and they made instant bank transfers. Good luck with the sale.
IJnoGSer

Post by IJnoGSer »

Thanks that really helps.
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

They do frown on this and can suspend your account if they find you messaging people about your e-mail address and offers in messages. I
In fact eBay have got VERY arsey about messaging and contacts outside their beloved messaging system. This is so they can monitor if you sell off eBay...

Last week, I was interested in a jacket and as the guy was going to be working 3-4 miles away we made contact on the phone to arrange for me to go and try the jacket on before buying. (I didn't buy and it was relisted)

Snotty emails 1 and 2 followed... I responded and pointed out my buying history and they backed off... a bit.

Personally, the only way I would use ebay for selling is by Classified... Too much silliness with auctions IME. :angry: :(
Q plate

Post by Q plate »

Sold a 1200RT via ebay classified ad a few weeks back i always use classifieds as theres less chance of being messed about & set price/cost to sell. 1st person to contact was a guy from Holland, was a bit dubious but did a few checks turned out to own a BMW dealership, said he wanted the bike, paid a deposit via paypal and would arrange collection. Bike transport Company from Kent were in touch a few days later to arrange collection & send payment via bank transfer although we had cash on the day in the end. 2 Harleys were in the van when he arrived going to Sweden (can't get enough of them apparently) and they move a lot of bmw's to the guy in Holland buying the RT. All worked out o.k in the End (thumbs)
Kipper

Post by Kipper »

I prefer classifieds as well. Set a price that is sensible, maybe include make an offer. Once, a Czech guy offer £200 more! Obviously thought best offer meant higher! I also insist on a very small PayPal deposit before anyone comes to see bike. Gives traceability and deters thieves. Never caused a problem but has stopped idiots on the phone coming over.
petecam

Post by petecam »

Sold a few bikes on the Bay. Always do "Buy it now or best offer" as someone can have it there and then if need be. I always have a ball park price in my head. I then copy the advert to all the forums I'm on. That way people can contact you via the forum or go via eBay if they want.
Sold 2 bikes to mainland Europe, one to Holland and one to Portugal. Both paid a deposit by Paypal and then did a bank transfer. Once in my account they sent in a bike transport company to collect the bike. No issues at all, its a little more effort to deal with but both paid good money for the bikes. However I did have a good look around their eBAY profile and feedback. I would not be so keen with a new or low feedback eBAY member.
cheers
dodursley

Post by dodursley »

I always use classified ads to sell bikes on EBay, seems less attractive to scammers etc, don't know why, but little trouble.
Generally I have 'with offers' option with the price a bit over my hoped for price and the offer cutoff a bit below my desired price. I can then at least have a dialog with the individuals that have not offered quite enough, we can then usually come to some agreement. EBay seem less fussy about message content as they do not get any more money from the sale.
For serious buyers I usually try and do some research on their feedback or current items for sale. Sold abroad twice- Latvia and Spain the Latvian was a dealer , his man came with a big van and trailer and cash, already had the van full! The Spaniard paid by bank transfer and a UK courier service took the bike, a Bultaco, (coals to Newcastle)

Return to “HOW TO..........”