Numpty advice needed - fitting out a box trailer

If you know how to do something, share it with other members. i.e How to fix a puncture...How to ship a bike to Alaska etc. The post with the most 'Thank You' votes in a month wins an ABR Hoodie.
Dave DRZ

Numpty advice needed - fitting out a box trailer

Post by Dave DRZ »

I'm about to move house and will for a period be without a garage. I need to arrange for temporary storage of my bikes and tools.

My original thought was to buy some sheds and erect them on a concrete base (there is a concrete base at the new house, currently has an old greenhouse on it) but then I saw the price of (good quality) sheds and thought f' that.

I've been trawling eBay looking for alternatives - storage containers, caravans... and I've come across a potential solution - old BT vans turned into box trailers. Like these
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192127213393? ... EBIDX%3AIT

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262896410809? ... EBIDX%3AIT

In my brain, I'll be able to use it every day as a garage / storage, easily move it when my plans for an extension come to fruition and if need be, use it as a trailer to transport bikes, and sell it on when I've finished with it. Win, win, win, win. (thumbs)

Looking at the inside of them they are often in a right state - some old BT stuff in there, or whatever other crap people have put in them (a few have knackered gas hobs for some reason). My question though, my potentially numpty question, how would I go about fitting one out to be able to keep two bikes in - how would I go about fixing anchors in the floor and walls to secure chains or tie downs, how do I fit shelves etc... I'm assuming the walls aren't very thick. I've not looked into for too long... and assumed someone on here would know, would have experience of kitting out something similar - such as converting a builders van into a bike transporter...

Any help, or pointers to useful websites, would be very much appreciated.

Dave
Far Off Places; a motorcycle adventure from Manchester to Manali www.faroffplaces.net
Dave DRZ

Re: Numpty advice needed - fitting out a box trailer

Post by Dave DRZ »

Cheeky bump ✊ any advice greatly received.

Dave
Far Off Places; a motorcycle adventure from Manchester to Manali www.faroffplaces.net
Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

Have you thought about hiring one of the indoor household lock ups and just wheeling them in there?
One near me uses the steel shipping containers so ideal for bikes.

Uncle Buck

Post by Uncle Buck »

I have a box trailer in spain i use for bikes occasionally. The floor is by far the strongest place to put tie downs. If you get a front wheel chock and bolt it to the floor along with a few eyebolts, you'll be fine. Mine has a galvanised steel frame and then 3/4 plywood floor. I have put all the eyebolts through the galvanised frame near the edges and never had a problem. That's all you'll need.
chrisjk

Post by chrisjk »

Never done it but my approach to shelves etc would be to either build self standing ones from 3x2 and plywood or probably cheaper, get some from Costco or Ikea.

If they needed support at the top to stop falling over on an uneven floor or when moving etc. then to glue a 3x2 along the sides at the top and tie them back to that.
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Plywood is expensive and unless you need some structural strength it's probably not worth it. I'm not sure what they called in english but I use sheets of flooring that are made of wood chippings that are about 16 x 120 cms and about 1.5 cm thick. You also get bigger sizes that you see fencing off building lots, etc. but handling such big chunk of material is a PITA and you have to think of delivery charges. But the smaller flooring new that I use are tongued and grooved so you can built a very smooth surface as as long as it's supported with some bracing when the whole thing is finished the interlocking makes it very strong and an extra coat of varnish really seals up the joins.

You can then use that to fix shelves just like indoors - but without the rawlplugs! (thumbs) Your van will have ventilation issues so an environment like that it might be worth getting treated battens rather than raw timber - I found a huge stash of decking in a scrapyard once - ace material and free! (thumbs) You don't want to perforate the 'skin' if the box so just assemble the studding as a nice snug fit, then once it's bloated together - good idea is to use metal brackets to save any fancy joinery work - and like the flowing panels, once it's assembled and in place it'll be really strong and when you come to sell it you can dismantle everything for use in another project.

As for the shelving chrisjk is probably right; flatpack stuff is by far the cheaper option and it'll be well rigid with just a few fixings into your loving, plus if it's a bit small add a few bits of spare timber and that'll, do the fixing for you.

Your main problem is that your amazing creation is inherently easy to steal ...

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
Dave DRZ

Post by Dave DRZ »

Thanks for the replies chaps.

I think I'm going to go ahead and do it. Might wait to see if a closer one comes up for sale over the next few weeks. The suggestion of front wheel chocks is a good one - thanks.

Renting a container is not an option. I've used one in the past to clear out a room when decorating, and it was great, but works out expensive over time (£120 per month soon adds up). It's going to be 12 months or so before the extension is done and I get a garage sorted - I'm looking for a cheaper option. I also use the bikes everyday for work, so no good parking in a lock up a mile away. I did think about buying one and then selling it when I've finished with it, but they sound like a pain to move (hiab and a crane) so disregarded the idea.

Plywood isn't that much more than chip board - and chip board goes mushy when it gets wet (I live in Manchester, it's wet a lot). Depending on what is already in the box when I buy it, it might only need thin ply over it to cover up crappy stuff underneath / behind.

Dave
Dave DRZ

Post by Dave DRZ »

Simon, is this what you meant, rather than chip board http://www.diy.com/departments/osb-2-bo ... 113_BQ.prd

And yes, agreed, would be tempting to thieves... need to secure the thing in place. It helps that it is a good neighbourhood (I only live 2 doors away at present (thumbs) )

Dave
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Dave DRZ wrote:Simon, is this what you meant, rather than chip board http://www.diy.com/departments/osb-2-bo ... 113_BQ.prd

And yes, agreed, would be tempting to thieves... need to secure the thing in place. It helps that it is a good neighbourhood (I only live 2 doors away at present (thumbs) )

Dave
Almost see here for the version with the tongue and groove:

http://www.leroymerlin.es/fp/19095790/t ... =0&largo=0

The tongues are down one long an one sort side and the gloves on the others.

I guess the simple way to immobilise the trailer would be to remove the wheels and a ends of the axles and the two hook, which should kist unbolt form the chassis - but don't loose the pieces!

Don't get one of these - if the burglars look at the trailer he'll grab them by the hand and show you where you've hidden the missing bits ...

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

PS it looks like your store has something similar but with a more 'professional' finish:

http://www.diy.com/departments/durelis- ... _C_SW_D_IL

It's a fair bit cheaper too! If you do use it be careful of the tongue and grooves, they are bit delicate and you do have to 'bash' them together, tale especial care not to get the stuff wet ...

I also spotted the 'cleaners and strippers' section in their catalogue - sadly disappointing, having a cleaner who finished the job by doing a strop would be great - especially if it was the lovely girl who cleans the common sales in my attainment building ... :evil:

Regs

Simon

Return to “HOW TO..........”