Numpty advice needed - fitting out a box trailer

If you know how to do something, share it with other members. i.e How to fix a puncture...How to ship a bike to Alaska etc. The post with the most 'Thank You' votes in a month wins an ABR Hoodie.
Uncle Buck

Re: Numpty advice needed - fitting out a box trailer

Post by Uncle Buck »

Add one of these to the roof to help with ventilation

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/11194036 ... 455&crdt=0
Dave DRZ

Post by Dave DRZ »

The Spanish Biker wrote:PS it looks like your store has something similar but with a more 'professional' finish:

http://www.diy.com/departments/durelis- ... _C_SW_D_IL
This is chip board. The tongue and groove stuff is used a board out a loft for storage. It would be no good in a trailer as it would get wet, it turns to cardboard. The plywood or OSB would be much better.

Dave
Far Off Places; a motorcycle adventure from Manchester to Manali www.faroffplaces.net
Maljones

Post by Maljones »

I did exactly what you said to start with. I bought a box trailer twin axle and bolted the hitch to the wall. Put two bikes in it etc until I was sorted. While it was parked on the drive I tidied it up as I went along. I was going to keep it but room was tight so sold it on to a couple who were moving house to Austria and they were going to sell it on as well! I think I had my money back on it and worked out as a great solution for my needs. Was only ever going to be a temp solution and I considered building something but then I'd be left with taking it down and getting rid of that.
Happywhenmuddy

Numpty advice needed - fitting out a box trailer

Post by Happywhenmuddy »

Check out local container company's - I've just had one for 6 months. £100 each way delivery/collection but only £15.00 a week rental.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dave DRZ

Post by Dave DRZ »

Happywhenmuddy wrote:Check out local container company's - I've just had one for 6 months. £100 each way delivery/collection but only £15.00 a week rental.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the suggestion. Some quick sums: I reckon I will need a 12 month solution, so £15x52, plus £200 is £980. I can buy a box trailer for £900 and hopefully sell it on in 12 months and get some / most of it back.

I'm in touch with someone selling one on eBay, trying to negotiate a decent price for one. If I can, I'll pick it up this weekend (thumbs)

Dave
Far Off Places; a motorcycle adventure from Manchester to Manali www.faroffplaces.net
Dave DRZ

Post by Dave DRZ »

After one failed attempt, I bought a trailer on eBay and picked it up yesterday. Obviously, I've not done anything with it other than park it on the drive. I don't move for a month or so, so plenty of time for tinkering...

So you wanna be a player?
But your wheels ain't fly?
You gotta hit us son
To get a pimped out ride
... You gotta pimp my ride

20170327_064835607_iOS.jpg
20170327_064835607_iOS.jpg (30.75 KiB) Viewed 4583 times

Dave
Dave DRZ

Post by Dave DRZ »

Finally got the photo upload to work... trailer isn't pimped yet :P

Dave
Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

Looks a good un Dave whats the internals like?
Dave DRZ

Post by Dave DRZ »

Here's a photo the seller took
IMG_0559.PNG
IMG_0559.PNG (751.34 KiB) Viewed 4583 times
You see some on eBay that are full of crap, still have BT shelving, tools, parts etc. Others have been used for other purposes, so, again, full of crap. So I'm grateful this bloke has removed most of the internals - he's left the gas bottle storage and the hob in situ - I'll deffo remove the hob, less bothered about the storage. He painted the floor grey so it looks better than it did.

The seller has bought 3 boxes and 3 chassis and is making them into 3 trailers. I got to raid the other two for bits - a vice, and a handful of tie down anchors and various lengths of aluminium that I will fit into my trailer. I think I will be able to mount some things on the walls via a pop riveter and will bolt some to the floor.

Dave
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Nice, we'll have a similar problem next year when we have our house in the Pyrenees effectively rebuilt, so any storage option is under consideration ... (thumbs)

Have fun and keep us posted - you never know, businesses start like this ... :whistle:

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain

Return to “HOW TO..........”