Trail bike in Spain - buy and take from UK or buy in Spain ?

If you know how to do something, share it with other members. i.e How to fix a puncture...How to ship a bike to Alaska etc. The post with the most 'Thank You' votes in a month wins an ABR Hoodie.
AlanHolt

Re: Trail bike in Spain - buy and take from UK or buy in Spain ?

Post by AlanHolt »

Mickdb1 wrote:I believe I am right in saying that a British registered bike will need to be registered to Spanish after 6 months. In doing that the bike is supposed to be reverted back to as it came out of the factory (back to standard) for it to be submitted . That may be a bit pricey if yerve chucked all the original bits away. Thats what I have been told of course
Officially, you can be in Spain for 90 days, then you either leave or become resident. If you become resident, you have 30 days to matriculate your vehicle. Lots of people simply say they're going home every 3 months, but then if you are in Spain for more than 183 days in a year, you are classed as being resident for both legal and tax reasons. You also need to changed your driving licence to one which is 'from the country you live in'. The matriculation examination takes forever (about an hour, compared to a car ITV which last time took 6 minutes), but they are pretty fair. What you can't get away with is 'home made' things.
Current bike is a Yamaha T7
biker

Post by biker »

Hi Simon,
CCM don't have any dealers in Spain and it's still under warranty, recently bought two properties here so we go back every so often to bring things over, not just tea bags, plus wife goes back every other month as she has commitments and work.

regards,

Jim
I AM THAT I AM
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

The Spanish Biker wrote: Here's the most promising - most are the 'R' versions that look like they've been seriously hammered - I take your point about the good condition Alan but in a trails bike I'd look for one that has been used as a commuter bike like men were - but whether you think €2,950 (£2,495 as I write this) for a 2005 model is a good deal ... and @ just 2,507 kms it hasn't been used as a commuter I guess ...
Pay particular attention to the age of vehicles. Over 10 years old, and you can register it in your name for under €60 if you go to Trafico with the seller (the buyer pays for the title transfer). When we bought my partners TW200 last year, because it was a 2008 (8 years old), it cost €275 to change the title into her name using a Gestor.
Lairyskippy

Post by Lairyskippy »

I've done both since moving to Spain, brought a UK bike over and registered it on Spanish plates and bought a new bike here. The latter was much easier and because I timed it right I saved a fair bit of money compared to UK prices.

Just my opinion but I'd not import another one.
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Uncle Buck wrote:From my experience, the itv guys don't know what's standard or not. I also have better luck with the mobile itv stations rather than the fixed locations. My Harley had loads of aftermarket bits on it like lights, air shocks, etc. They didn't bat an eyelid. I was missing a reflector on the back and they still passed me and told me to put one on asap.
I think you've been very lucky with that one! (thumbs)
AlanHolt wrote:Pay particular attention to the age of vehicles. Over 10 years old, and you can register it in your name for under €60 if you go to Trafico with the seller (the buyer pays for the title transfer). When we bought my partners TW200 last year, because it was a 2008 (8 years old), it cost €275 to change the title into her name using a Gestor.
That's a handy tip Alan. But only if you can persuade the seller to spend a dat with you going too and from the provincial capital and standing around in the Trafico departments's offices waiting for attention - if I were the seller I'd ask a day's pay - what a bargain! :laugh:
AlanHolt wrote:
Mickdb1 wrote:I believe I am right in saying that a British registered bike will need to be registered to Spanish after 6 months. In doing that the bike is supposed to be reverted back to as it came out of the factory (back to standard) for it to be submitted . That may be a bit pricey if yerve chucked all the original bits away. Thats what I have been told of course
Officially, you can be in Spain for 90 days, then you either leave or become resident. If you become resident, you have 30 days to matriculate your vehicle. Lots of people simply say they're going home every 3 months, but then if you are in Spain for more than 183 days in a year, you are classed as being resident for both legal and tax reasons. You also need to changed your driving licence to one which is 'from the country you live in'. The matriculation examination takes forever (about an hour, compared to a car ITV which last time took 6 minutes), but they are pretty fair. What you can't get away with is 'home made' things.
I guess this issue widens the topic onto whether it's a good idea to become resident in Spain at all in the light of post-Brexit uncertainly about rights of movement. It would be a shame to go to all the trouble - and expense! - of setting yourselves up just t have to undo it all again.

Talking of expense, I alway say, "Before you decide see an accountant, then if you still want to come see a psychiatrist!" And I'm not really joking, exposing to the terrible Spanish tax regime - the UK is already a tax haven IMHO - just to have further tax complications with HMRC when you return really is something to consider.

Back onto after ground - perhaps :whistle: - don't forget that your UK insurance will only cover you for about 6 months travel overseas, and then - I think! - only is periods of 90 days at a time ...

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
Mickdb1

Post by Mickdb1 »

This sounds weird but its what 3 different Carol Nash folks have told me.
I have 365 breakdown for car in western europe but no more than 90 days total on bike - in one year. This is all part of the "standard" cover on a 6 wheel policy. I am NOT a resident of Spain.
You dont pack up biking when you grow old

You grow old when you pack up biking
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

Some Spanish insurers will provide cover for British registered vehicles, but you will need a NIE and probably an address here.
DaleC

Post by DaleC »

zimtim wrote:Buy in Spain.
all the bikes here are right hand drive :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: (thumbs)
Not a joke if the bike's headlight is not ambidextrous! B)

I had to buy a headlight to match driving on the right when importing a bike into Austria as the cut off in the headlight was for driving on the left (UK). I did also have to revert the bike to standard to import.

However, back to Spain... :)
Keyboard Adventurer! :D
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Mickdb1 wrote:This sounds weird but its what 3 different Carol Nash folks have told me.
I have 365 breakdown for car in western europe but no more than 90 days total on bike - in one year. This is all part of the "standard" cover on a 6 wheel policy. I am NOT a resident of Spain.
Nope, that was the car cover we had when we first came here - even though I told the brokers our change of address they didn't point this out and left us uninsured for a year ...
AlanHolt wrote:Some Spanish insurers will provide cover for British registered vehicles, but you will need a NIE and probably an address here.
Regal Insurance Club did, and had an English language service. I'm not if if either of these are the case now though.

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

There are lots of British immigrants here who have British registered cars insured with Spanish companies. Caser in Madrid have an English speaking service.

Return to “HOW TO..........”