Importing a bike from UK into Spain

If you know how to do something, share it with other members. i.e How to fix a puncture...How to ship a bike to Alaska etc. The post with the most 'Thank You' votes in a month wins an ABR Hoodie.
AlanHolt

Re: Importing a bike from UK into Spain

Post by AlanHolt »

The Spanish Biker wrote: Sounds like the service has been outsourced, which is quite a good idea for small municipalities, but in general it isn't so the advice would be to check it out locally.
There are BASE offices everywhere around here (Catalunya), Mora, Tarragona, Reus, Lleida etc. Its how everyone I know pays their community related taxes. This reminds me, i need to check my post box and see what needs paying for this year.
Current bike is a Yamaha T7
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

AlanHolt wrote:
The Spanish Biker wrote: Sounds like the service has been outsourced, which is quite a good idea for small municipalities, but in general it isn't so the advice would be to check it out locally.
There are BASE offices everywhere around here (Catalunya), Mora, Tarragona, Reus, Lleida etc. Its how everyone I know pays their community related taxes. This reminds me, i need to check my post box and see what needs paying for this year.
That's interesting. Temp does its own! What does BASE stand for? it's a difficult word/acronym to search Google!

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

The Spanish Biker wrote: That's interesting. Temp does its own! What does BASE stand for? it's a difficult word/acronym to search Google!
https://www.base.cat/web/en/ens/SobreBA ... tacio.html

BASE-Gestió d’Ingressos is the autonomous entity of the Diputació de Tarragona (Tarragona Provincial Council) responsible for revenue management which local governments, independent organisations and other administrative bodies delegate to it.
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

AlanHolt wrote:BASE-Gestió d’Ingressos is the autonomous entity of the Diputació de Tarragona (Tarragona Provincial Council) responsible for revenue management which local governments, independent organisations and other administrative bodies delegate to it.

Hmm, that's quite smart. Tarragona city still has its own office for tax collecting but as I said it's a good service to small municipalities, some of which only have a few hundred residents and the 'town hall' is a hard pressed local guy/gal who scrapes the time together to do all the official stuff - I 'worked' with a few dozen of these last year getting permits for the HUMM event down in Teruel.

So the message is to check out your local town hall to pay the ITVM but don't forget to do this.

Back to bikes, I'm not 100% sure but I think you have to put the ITV sticker on the near side and at the front of the vehicle. One issue with the fork is if it gets scraped off when you remove the fork from the stanchion - this happened to me changing the oil - and you need to get a replacement from the same company that did the ITV, which in my case was where I'd bought the bike so couldn't get one from Applus*, who have all the ITV concessions up here. You should have the sticker visible but I decided to risk it until the next test, which wasn't that long to wait.

BTW most Spanish cops thin that a UK tax plate is the ITV equivalent.

Regs

Simon

* the is the sort of place you need to get your bike checked for TA as Alan described earlier.
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

For those who think the Spanish won't allow you to modify a bike in any way, check this out, complete with current ITV sticker on the forks.
FB_IMG_1489846123868.jpg
FB_IMG_1489846123868.jpg (41.71 KiB) Viewed 3349 times
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

AlanHolt wrote:For those who think the Spanish won't allow you to modify a bike in any way, check this out, complete with current ITV sticker on the forks.
FB_IMG_1489846123868.jpg
Wow, what a fab bike and not too rare really. The point was that it's expensive and a bit complicated to modify a bike from standard not that it's impossible. And that this was the OP question, whether it makes financial sense to import a UK bike rather than buy one locally if you come and live here.

Back on the ground, I looked into getting a handlebar fairing for my X-Co that had two lights - forget the make now but pretty well known, from Canada and asked the engineer at the ITV. He said the extra light was the problem and together we costed it up to at least €300 just for the paperwork - you have to amend the ficha technica - and that alone costs about €100 plus vat (21% in Spain) and then if you change back to standard you have to amend it again!

But a lot of the stuff is simple, like tyre sizes, so with a Harley I guess you have a lot of leeway from the start - you never know, even those forks might be 'standard' enough now to need an amendment!

A few years ago there was a report on the telly about a British guy who had a custom workshop in Guadalaja city but I can't seem to find any mention of it now*, so I guess he's gone. But he did some very radical builds so I guess knew all about it.

Regs

Simon

* Googling is a bugger as you've got Guadalajara in Mexico and there's actually a village called 'Motos' in the Spanish province ...

Return to “HOW TO..........”