Importing a bike from UK into Spain

If you know how to do something, share it with other members. i.e How to fix a puncture...How to ship a bike to Alaska etc. The post with the most 'Thank You' votes in a month wins an ABR Hoodie.
Lairyskippy

Re: Importing a bike from UK into Spain

Post by Lairyskippy »

Cheers Alan, very helpful.
ollydog

Post by ollydog »

mate of mine put his tour glide last year onto spanish plates and he got the local garage to sort out the paper work, his bike was nothing like when it rolled out of the factory,
i generally rotate a bike around each year and never bother, quite like having the brit plate and have never been stopped in spain or france

steve
ollydog

Post by ollydog »

mate did this last year on his glide
steve
paulw1882

Post by paulw1882 »

Alan - many thanks for this, really useful cheers

Uncle Buck - yep I'd definitely be up for a ride out I think you're only about 20 minutes or so from where I will be in Javea. I will also definitely join that face book group as I fancy a bit of trail riding. Also, that gestoria sounds like great value any chance I could have their details as I may well use too if the cost is that low ?
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

paulw1882 wrote: Uncle Buck - yep I'd definitely be up for a ride out I think you're only about 20 minutes or so from where I will be in Javea. I will also definitely join that face book group as I fancy a bit of trail riding. Also, that gestoria sounds like great value any chance I could have their details as I may well use too if the cost is that low ?
You lads are about 4 hours south of me, but if you're ever up this way, give me a shout.
Current bike is a Yamaha T7
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Uncle Buck wrote:My local gestoria charges €90 to do all of that for me. So, if you are short on time and don't mind paying, the €90 seems worth it to me! All I had to do was the inspection bit but they prepared all the paperwork for me.
You beat me to it! A good gestor will also sort out a lot loose ends for you. When we began doing our residency the hard way, i.e. DIY, back in '99 the traffic department in Lleida, a backwoods place then as now, couldn't get their heads round that fact that Mrs S had a class 1 LGV, so they insisted on an official translation - including all the small print on the back! - instead of just looking through the identical pretty pictures on the front. Then, of course they had to insist on the same for mine. So two official translations to pay for from @ +/- 5 ptas per word, about £50 each ...

We also did about a dozen 160 km round trips to Lleida city in the process ...

Yup, get a gestor every time! (thumbs) BTW if you buy a bike in Spain chances are the seller will insist that you pay for the change of ownership, around €125 + vat, so it's about evens on that score. I guess Alan may be right about the valuation for import duties but I think there's an 'official' list of nominal valuations on the DGT web site.

But Alan forgot to say you have to 'empadronate' the bike with the town hall - ajuntamiento in Spanish for those of you down south :whistle: - and pay an annual road tax equivalent, the Impuesto sobre Vehículos de Tracción Mecánica (IVTM), to them - note that for what it's worth every town hall sets its own quota which is in turn based on the vehicle's emissions; it costs me a tiny bit extra to have my car registered here in Tarragona city but it's worth it just to have the automatic gates into the old city centre open for me like magic every time I drive to my flat to unload the shopping. (thumbs)

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

The Spanish Biker wrote: But Alan forgot to say you have to 'empadronate' the bike with the town hall - ajuntamiento in Spanish for those of you down south :whistle: - and pay an annual road tax equivalent, the Impuesto sobre Vehículos de Tracción Mecánica (IVTM), to them - note that for what it's worth every town hall sets its own quota which is in turn based on the vehicle's emissions; it costs me a tiny bit extra to have my car registered here in Tarragona city but it's worth it just to have the automatic gates into the old city centre open for me like magic every time I drive to my flat to unload the shopping. (thumbs)
You must of skimmed past it Simon, I did mention going to BASE to pay the 'road tax'.
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

AlanHolt wrote:
The Spanish Biker wrote: But Alan forgot to say you have to 'empadronate' the bike with the town hall - ajuntamiento in Spanish for those of you down south :whistle: - and pay an annual road tax equivalent, the Impuesto sobre Vehículos de Tracción Mecánica (IVTM), to them - note that for what it's worth every town hall sets its own quota which is in turn based on the vehicle's emissions; it costs me a tiny bit extra to have my car registered here in Tarragona city but it's worth it just to have the automatic gates into the old city centre open for me like magic every time I drive to my flat to unload the shopping. (thumbs)
You must of skimmed past it Simon, I did mention going to BASE to pay the 'road tax'.
Yes, you're right, I didn't recognise 'BASE' what is that? I pay my IVTM by standing order so once I've bought a vehicle though my gestor that's it ...

Meanwhile while checking out BASE I found the list of cars used to calculate the import tax: in which my car doesn't appear as it's too old ... :whistle: You then have to calculate the tax according to the emissions, apparently a bit of a minefield ...

BTW don0t forget that RHD vehicles are a waste of time. I believe that the current ruling is that new immigrants can only import one RHD and at that within a set period of their obtaining residency - then it'll be impossible to sell on when you're fed up of trying to overtake - and getting parts like clutch cables, etc. - don't ask me how I know this, but do ask me if you want a clutch cable for a Daihatsu Fourtrack ... :whistle:

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

AlanHolt

Post by AlanHolt »

The Spanish Biker wrote:
Yes, you're right, I didn't recognise 'BASE' what is that? I pay my IVTM by standing order so once I've bought a vehicle though my gestor that's it ...

Meanwhile while checking out BASE I found the list of cars used to calculate the import tax: in which my car doesn't appear as it's too old ... :whistle: You then have to calculate the tax according to the emissions, apparently a bit of a minefield ...

BTW don0t forget that RHD vehicles are a waste of time. I believe that the current ruling is that new immigrants can only import one RHD and at that within a set period of their obtaining residency - then it'll be impossible to sell on when you're fed up of trying to overtake - and getting parts like clutch cables, etc. - don't ask me how I know this, but do ask me if you want a clutch cable for a Daihatsu Fourtrack ... :whistle:

Regs

Simon
BASE issue and collect our local tax bills (land tax, rubbish collection tax, vehicle road tax etc). Our nearest office is in Mora D'Ebre, but they have a representative who comes to the Flix ajuntament one morning each week.

Regarding RHD or British vehicles, and this is a bit of a grey area, once you become 'resident' in Spain, you have just 90 days with which to start to matriculate your vehicle, remove it from the country or risk it being impounded. I say it's a grey area because you can stay here without having residency status, because it is something you have to apply for. Some people claim they are on holiday when they are stopped, but for me, moving to another country to live means integrating fully.
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

AlanHolt wrote:BASE issue and collect our local tax bills (land tax, rubbish collection tax, vehicle road tax etc). Our nearest office is in Mora D'Ebre, but they have a representative who comes to the Flix ajuntament one morning each week.

Regarding RHD or British vehicles, and this is a bit of a grey area, once you become 'resident' in Spain, you have just 90 days with which to start to matriculate your vehicle, remove it from the country or risk it being impounded. I say it's a grey area because you can stay here without having residency status, because it is something you have to apply for. Some people claim they are on holiday when they are stopped, but for me, moving to another country to live means integrating fully.
Sounds like the service has been outsourced, which is quite a good idea for small municipalities, but in general it isn't so the advice would be to check it out locally.

Plus 1 for the residency bit - I call myself an 'immigrant' rather than an 'ex-pat' and I'm 'integrated' to the extent that at least on two councillor ducks into shop doorways when he sees me coming down the street! (thumbs)

Regs

Simon

Return to “HOW TO..........”