Overseas shipping/red tape

If you know how to do something, share it with other members. i.e How to fix a puncture...How to ship a bike to Alaska etc. The post with the most 'Thank You' votes in a month wins an ABR Hoodie.
Tommytravels

Overseas shipping/red tape

Post by Tommytravels »

I am wanting to ship my bike from the UK to the USA to start a trip heading south through the Americas.
I was wanting to know if anyone has any advice regarding good shipping companies and the costs.
Also I was curious as to what paperwork I would need to cross borders and if anyone has any experience /advice on this.
Thanks
Sgt Bilco

Re: Overseas shipping/red tape

Post by Sgt Bilco »

Hi mate

I ship bikes out in containers for my own tours but do ship a lot of bikes out there for people who want to do their own thing.

Are you wanting East or West coast and what's your dates?

Chris
Tommytravels

Post by Tommytravels »

Hi Chris,
Sounds like you are definitely the right person to ask.

I was wanting east coast, although ideally I was wanting to start in Alaska and ride down but that would be more than double the flight distance from UK to New York and figure that would be quite a fun ride in itself.
I was hoping for around the end of May 2017. Thanks
Tom
Sgt Bilco

Post by Sgt Bilco »

Tommytravels wrote:Hi Chris,

I was wanting east coast, although ideally I was wanting to start in Alaska and ride down but that would be more than double the flight distance from UK to New York and figure that would be quite a fun ride in itself.
Tom
As luck would have it, I have a container getting into Norfolk Virginia on 15th June 2017.

I'm doing a 3 week tour across to Santa Rosa CA then a 4 week tour from there up to Alaska and back to Santa Rosa. If you wanted to join us for some of that it would be no problem or I'm happy to help you with insurance, EPA, routing, advice etc etc.

Can't really help below the US though.

If you message me with your email, I can send you all the details
Tommytravels

Post by Tommytravels »

That is very good timing.

My email is [email protected]

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Tom
OnHellas

Post by OnHellas »

Sgt Bilco could well be your man. I've read his ride reports and he does seem to put on a good do.

I don't want to tread on his toes, and I know that he uses the following too.

Have a chat with Roddy Moto Freight. They air freighted our sidecar outfit to New York last June. He can also advise on all the paperwork you need for the US. EPA exemption etc. Everything he said would happen happened when he said it would.

As for Mexico and further south, you will need your registration document, driving licence and passport. Each country you arrive at will issue you a temporary import permit. They have to be cancelled/surrendered on leaving each country.
Fail to get these at your Peril.

Getting from Panama to Colombia? We used airfreight for speed plus the sailboats only take solo bikes.
Air Cargo Pack where nothing short of amazing. They also took care of the temp import docs. For an all inclusive price.

Go for it, and enjoy. Oh, and don't forget to take a box of neivety with you.
AustinW

Post by AustinW »

Sgt Bilco wrote:
Tommytravels wrote:Hi Chris,

Tom
As luck would have it, I have a container getting into Norfolk Virginia on 15th June 2017.

If you message me with your email, I can send you all the details
PM'd you Chris.

Return to “HOW TO..........”