Stop condensation eating my bike ?????

If you know how to do something, share it with other members. i.e How to fix a puncture...How to ship a bike to Alaska etc. The post with the most 'Thank You' votes in a month wins an ABR Hoodie.
-Ralph-

Re: Stop condensation eating my bike ?????

Post by -Ralph- »

johnnyboxer wrote:Dehumidifier is a must

My double garage is block and brick, double skin with a DPM and it's bone dry in winter

I take out about 4-5 gallons of water out each week with dehumidifier though
The dehumidifier has a lot more to do with it being bone dry than the construction

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
Ricalnic

Post by Ricalnic »

Ventilation, cotton sheet over bike, and greenhouse heater on timer ....
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

The most costeffective answer is get a illegal lodger in the extended garage let him earn his keep by polishing the bike and cossetting it....lol
johnnyboxer

Stop condensation eating my bike ?????

Post by johnnyboxer »

-Ralph- wrote:
johnnyboxer wrote:Dehumidifier is a must

My double garage is block and brick, double skin with a DPM and it's bone dry in winter

I take out about 4-5 gallons of water out each week with dehumidifier though
The dehumidifier has a lot more to do with it being bone dry than the construction

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
I know & that is why I used one for the last 20 years

My bikes are mint
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
chrisjk

Post by chrisjk »

ACF 50!
scouse

Post by scouse »

west coast ratter wrote:I was bothered by condensation in my lock up in wet n cold weather the floor was soaking with it and my bikes were covered in it my solution was to get a few large cardboard boxes and open them out on the floor .. hey presto no more condensation on bikes and makes it a bit warmer... or it feels like it (thumbs)
Plus one on that - Cardboard also insulates as well as absorbs water vapour in the air.
Gaffer tape is The Force! It has a light side and a dark side and holds the Universe together!

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." - Steve McQueen
johnboy

Post by johnboy »

I use a 60 watt tube heater, about 3 feet long, mounted on a narrow board which I slide under my two bikes. The warm air rising keeps all the condensation away from the bikes. The garage is constructed of concrete panels with a concrete floor and corrugated roof, and has windows in the back. I have been using this method for years. And leave the bikes uncovered so as not to trap any moisture.
Old enough to know better; young enough to go for it!
IainD

Post by IainD »

Old Git Ray wrote:
IainD wrote:..........
Check if the floor has a DPM. if not get some floor resin and seal it.
Iain (or anybody)
Will resin stick to a damp floor or brickwork ?

I have a DPC that is 3 courses above the garage floor and it is constantly damp (obviously).
Hi Ray,

Yes, many resins are used externally in car parks etc. and these are applied to damp (not wet) surfaces.

We used to spec Flowcrete and Altro resins which are rather expensive, but do a good job, on industrial projects. A quick web search would find something cheaper. Perhaps a Waterseal product - Bostik Cementone Water Seal or similar would be better unless you are doing a large area as well as a floor.

Cheers
wispyone

Post by wispyone »

Ok, so a quick update.

I have opened the window slightly at the rear of the garage to assist with air flow, the bike is sat on a thick layer of cardboard and i have a bucket of salt on the workbench.

I return from work this evening and go to check the bike and there are drips of water on the cardboard !

So i have now plugged in an old oil filled electric radiator. and will order a tube heater to slide under the bike this evening.
Starting to think the bike will last longer left out in the rear garden - apart from the fact i wont be covered on insurance :)

Richard
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

ACF50 is your best defence TBH
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Return to “HOW TO..........”