Stop condensation eating my bike ?????

If you know how to do something, share it with other members. i.e How to fix a puncture...How to ship a bike to Alaska etc. The post with the most 'Thank You' votes in a month wins an ABR Hoodie.
Zookman

Re: Stop condensation eating my bike ?????

Post by Zookman »

I sometimes get condensation in my shed where my bikes are kept, but it doesn't bother me, its only water and it hasn't affected my bikes to any degree.
The only thing that i'm concerned with, is washing any road salt off after riding in winter, especially on wet roads.
dodursley

Post by dodursley »

Tramp

Post by Tramp »

So apart from condensation on your bike ....do you not like it getting wet ?...or do you hide when the rain starts...

Electrolsis is a bitch ...a humidifier works but costs lots of money in electric lol...
wispyone

Post by wispyone »

Tramp wrote:So apart from condensation on your bike ....do you not like it getting wet ?...or do you hide when the rain starts...

Electrolsis is a bitch ...a humidifier works but costs lots of money in electric lol...
I ride 12 months a year in any weather whilst at work. I have just moved to a new house and picked the bike up last week having not had my own for a few years. So if I can do anything to keep it dry whist in a garage I will, I just find it frustrating more than anything

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

You can use old socks filled with silicate cat litter too that will absorb the moisture just dont leave it in the car

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/01/09 ... _for_meth/
Spare a thought for Ross LeBeau, who spent three days in jail when Texas cops confused cat litter for methamphetamine during a routine traffic stop.

Although LeBeau has since been released without charge, he claims to have lost work as a result of the arrest, and is upset at the damage to his reputation.

The Houston man had been stashing almost half a pound (220g) of cat litter in a sock in his car in the hope of stopping his windows fogging up, but in December two separate roadside field tests both gave false positives on the litter for meth.

LeBeau got nicked and the cops of Harris County Sheriff's Office sent out a press release, including a mugshot, bragging of what they thought was the bust of the year, and claiming the arrest "may have kept our children and loved ones free from being introduced to drugs."
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

I aint got no garage :( boo hoo,
but what I use is GT85.

I think it depends a lot on the condition and type of bike tbh.

eg .. my frieblade was relatively new and well built .. lots of alumimnium/alloy and reasonable paintwork .. under a tarp for 2 years and pre-sprayed with gt85 and she came out into the light of day in almost perfect condition. :)

DR350 .. older, well used, similar circumstances .. came out dredful .

my crf250L is obviously not top of the range finish but I am hoping it will be ok ... run on salt roads, Ponty farm muck, Brecon red clay, Elan shale, .. still all on ... but just sprayed lightly with gt85 and oiled the chain .... see what its like in a few days? :blink: :S

gt85 sounds like its not as good as acf50 ... but its a lot cheaper .. and used more often.
I quick wash cold water after roads are salted ... but then the bike gets put away wet ... bad bad bad ... so if the last ride is wet, but ends up dryish I let air dry in the riding wind and put it away durty ... I is a bad boy :pinch:
jonah

Post by jonah »

Do what my mate did and fitted patio doors to the rear lounge , and now the bike is in the
lounge while him and his wife watch the telly , i suggested it to my wife and got told to f--k off , some people are so unreasonable (thumbs)
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

o ... just thought ... its not `just water` ... its dilute acid innit.
carbonic acid, as the rain drops absorb CO2 from the atmosphere .. amongst other things, probably.

so where two different metals touch on yer bike, you got a battery cell .. electrolyte thing, going on.
eating away :woohoo: slowly.

plus the oxidation thing going on too .. iron in the steel mixing with O2 from the air = ferrous and ferric oxide aka rust!

I guess the sprays we use form a barrier to the oxygen and rain acids?

but .. especially salt from the road .. washes this film away, and provides a medium for even more corrosion :pinch:

so no .. its not `just water` :dry:

ps .. I stopped using washing up liquid to wash the bike .. when I found out it has salt in it.
.. even clean tap water has 57 varieties of chemicals in it ? ?
.. I use hot but dilute car-wax-wash stuff .. when I eventually get round to washing the poor bike .. then a quick spray of gt85 .. and cross me fingers.
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

jonah wrote:Do what my mate did and fitted patio doors to the rear lounge , and now the bike is in the
lounge while him and his wife watch the telly , i suggested it to my wife and got told to f--k off , some people are so unreasonable (thumbs)
When I moved into a new house before the garage was built the bike lived in the kitchen. I'd ride up the disabled ramp to the back door, beep, and the wife would come open it for me to ride straight in.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

A real quick way to blow water off is a petrol leaf blower...especially handy in winter after you wash the crud off....i used to commute all year but got old and soft and had one to many near miss ...i now trail ride and spend time.in mudd boggs lol...

Return to “HOW TO..........”