polymorph and rim clamp balancing

If you know how to do something, share it with other members. i.e How to fix a puncture...How to ship a bike to Alaska etc. The post with the most 'Thank You' votes in a month wins an ABR Hoodie.
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

ive had this problem before ..i like to use rim clamps off road but they can cause wobble higher up in speed on the road
ive been using as low as 10psi so i need to keep the clamps on the rear at least
on me last trip out the inbalence was pretty notcible on the motorway from around 60mph upwards it gor worse ..

options ?? put a rim clamp in opposite

get some spoke weights ..problem is the amount of weight needed and they are expensive

the stick on rim things are way to puny dont fit well on narrow rims and tend to come off when off roading

the results are not sportbike perfect but more than enough for smoothrunning on a duelsport bike

i weighed a rimclamp on kitchen scales and had some lead flashing to cut up ...i actaully ended up using a 0ld 3/4inch impierial soccket on the rear with some lead wrapped around it and some rolled up lead on the front .you can keep snipping a little off the lead roll until it balences out ..the wheels were wildly out of balance ..this is pretty extream correction ..

so the problem as always is how to attach it ..so enter me trusty polymorph .if you havny used it its plasic pellets that you boil in water ..it then moulds and sets hard in about 5mins ..iteven tough enough to put on a sidestand and make a bigger foot it can be removed with boiling water or a heat gun and it can be reused

the only downside is it looks a bit shit TBO but the main thing it has done the job attached very securly .. the bike is properly smooth now ..i couldnt think of a better way of attaching such big weights to the wheel ?

other uses ive put it too ..mounting brackets ..switch mounts fairing lug r epairs .. ..side stand foot ..tyre lever handle . and loads of other little things ..its brilliant stuff ..comes in dead handy

anyway hope it helps if youve had the same issues ..but that polymorph stuff comes in so handy (thumbs)
ImageDSC_0125 by minkyhead56, on Flickr[/img]
ImageDSC_0112 by minkyhead56, on Flickr[/img]ImageDSC_0099 by minkyhead56, on Flickr[/img]ImageDSC_0096 by minkyhead56, on Flickr[/img]ImageDSC_0124 by minkyhead56, on Flickr[/img]
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
Treadtrader

Post by Treadtrader »

Proper motorcycle adhesive weights are slim enough to fit most rims.
They will stick to a clean rim for the life of the tyre.
Motorcycle weights are still available in lead, unlike car weights, that's why these are so compact.
Each strip is 50gram so will balance a rim with security bolts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Contact email [email protected] or pm.
minkyhead

Re: polymorph and rim clamp balancing

Post by minkyhead »

thanks treadtrader .. the only way i can get them to adhere is to use the small ones only cut them out and stck them on sideways if that makes sense ive only got 6ml available ..the problem then is i cant get enough weight where its needed

the rear has a big socket with lead strip wrapped round it so its a fair old weight the rimclamp came in at 140 grams with the bolt and nut ..its quite weight ..ive seen som motion pro ones at 68 grams which may be a good idea next time

..if i put em on sideways like in the picture they overhang by about 3ml and would just get knocked off

i would like to use conventional weights but on such slim rims i cant see a way of doing it

thre doesnt seem to be any weights slim and heavy enough for a dirtbike ? but if you can help im all ears

this is a 10ml 5gm weight .. i can only get 5mls on the rim so the 2.5gms sideways are all ican do but id need around 56 of them.. even the little ones seem to go awol when your in the mud :S its a problem ?

ImageDSC_0129 by minkyhead56, on Flickr[/img]
micksea

Post by micksea »

Never heard of polymorph before,looks impressive.is this the new quicksteel? Is it hard or soft when it goes off?
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

its pretty tough mick .. it wont bind like jd weld or owt like that but you could plug a hole with it good enough for sidestand foot had it on two years on the last bike and it didnt wear through ..quite impressive ..you can mould it to any shape drill it tap it after ..its really usful .. youd need hot water but i reakon it could splint a broken frame tube pannier rail better than two tyre levers and a cable tie for sure ... tbo idont carry it with me but its not a bad idea .. dead usful stuff (thumbs) just ebay polymorph
one-two-three-four

Post by one-two-three-four »

Minkyhead - I didn't weigh my Motion Pro "lite" rimlocks (http://www.zenoverland.com/tools/motion ... -lock.html) but I doubt they are as heavy as the ones you have weighed?
MTP-LOC_1.jpg
MTP-LOC_1.jpg (15.65 KiB) Viewed 3132 times
Might be an easier option to use a lighter rimlock (or just put second one in if the vibes are that bad)?
micksea

Post by micksea »

Most people going on a bike trip would have a camping stove with them to boil water so it could be handy carrying some of this stuff for repairs
Thedktor

Post by Thedktor »

Been doing it for years and never had them come off in thousands of miles off-road:

20140918_113034_2016-11-29.jpg
20140918_113034_2016-11-29.jpg (68.14 KiB) Viewed 3132 times
20141021_084549_2016-11-29.jpg
20141021_084549_2016-11-29.jpg (56.78 KiB) Viewed 3132 times

I put tape over them in the winter as well, and obviously its essential to clean the rim very carefully with solvent.

First photo they are not stuck on, just working out how much to put on.

Treadtrader I sent you a pm many moons ago asking if you can help me source some more weights? :)
- Steve

Southampton area

DR350, 349, DRZ, 701
Thedktor

Post by Thedktor »

Oh, they are motorcycle specific weights made of lead or sommat.
- Steve

Southampton area

DR350, 349, DRZ, 701
Treadtrader

Post by Treadtrader »

Thedktor wrote:
Treadtrader I sent you a pm many moons ago asking if you can help me source some more weights? :)
Do apologise,must have missed that.
PM address and I'll bung a few in the post.
Contact email [email protected] or pm.

Return to “HOW TO..........”