polymorph and rim clamp balancing

If you know how to do something, share it with other members. i.e How to fix a puncture...How to ship a bike to Alaska etc. The post with the most 'Thank You' votes in a month wins an ABR Hoodie.
ChasF

Re: polymorph and rim clamp balancing

Post by ChasF »

Lightweight rimlocks and stick on weights work for me. I find it can be a bugger to get the old weights off, never had a problem with them falling off.

You can also get big weights that crimp around the spokes.

I don't bother with balancing the rear wheel on a trail bike.
Big Yellow Tractor

Post by Big Yellow Tractor »

Many ways to skin a cat as they say. I made a plaster mould that I have used to cast pieces that look like the post on a car battery but also found that a my 12-bore slug mould works if I remove the tail insert. I end up with neat 1 to 1 1/2 oz weights. I counter bore them for the spoke and nipple then cut a slot, open them up a bit, slip over the spoke and down over the nipple and crimp with waterpump pliers.

Probably makes more sense to just buy something like http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251692478861? ... EBIDX%3AIT but like many of us, I enjoy dicking about with stuff. Next time I'm doing some, I'll try to remember to make up a batch.
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

Clip on spoke weights best for dirt bikes, never had one come off
mechanic

Post by mechanic »

Also, best yo use light as possible rim locks
sohoeasy

Post by sohoeasy »

Good thread,good input. Certainly useful for anyone starting out too ! (thumbs)
captinktm

Post by captinktm »

The best solution I have found, and I use this on the dirt bike as well. Is to remove the tyre and rim tape, now fit the the rim lock and then fit your counter weights on the inside of the rim. Once the wheel is balanced I remove the rim lock and use masking tape to secure the weights, and help to seal the rim. Now replace the rim lock, tube and tyre and balance again, most times nothing is needed but if it is it's only small. In days of old we would use a sharp cold chisel and rag the inner rim, this also stops the tyre from spinning. In even older days we would drill a hole in the side of tyre and bring the valve stem out through it.
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

all good advice ..ive used them a lot before bur for some reason this time they were realy bad :sick: ..i couldnt find a spot on the tyre to work with and ive never found any weights to fit the rim properly ? thus the weird solution

those lead ones seem to be good ..anyone know where i can get some narrow ones circa 5ml as it the narrow rim that causes me the problem ?

it only showed at speed of 60 ..70 was annoying and 80 was terrible

it was the rear wheel causing the most problem i did that first and most of the vibs were gone ..the front wasnt nearly as bad in isolation

the motion pro ones are 40 percent lighter ill get some next time to reduce the amount of weights needed

anyway it has worked thats the main thing but would like a more elegant solution next time cheers
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
captinktm

Post by captinktm »

minkyhead wrote:all good advice ..ive used them alot beore bur for some reson this time they were realy bad ..i couldnt find a spot on the tyre to work with and ive never found any weights to fit the rim properly thus the weird solution

those lead ones seem to be good ..anyone know where i can get some narrow ones circa 5ml ?

it was the rear wheel causing the most problem i did that first and most of the vibs were gone ..the front wasnt nearly as bad in isolation

the motion pro ones are 40 percent lighter ill get some next time to reduce the amount of weights needed
Balance the wheel and rim lock and put the weights on the inside! Easy. Your rear shock may be on it's last legs if that's where it's most noticeable.
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

captinktm wrote:
minkyhead wrote:all good advice ..ive used them alot beore bur for some reson this time they were realy bad ..i couldnt find a spot on the tyre to work with and ive never found any weights to fit the rim properly thus the weird solution

those lead ones seem to be good ..anyone know where i can get some narrow ones circa 5ml ?

Balance the wheel and rim lock and put the weights on the inside! Easy. Your rear shock may be on it's last legs if that's where it's most noticeable.
you mean under the rimtape ?that may work but ill need a much lighter rimlock ithink ..the weights on the rear were silly big ..i kept thinking this cant be right ..but the balencer told me it was and so it proved after fitting

the rear shock is perfect but with that amount of inbalence id guess it wont do the shock much good long term
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

I read this thread with a little smirk on my face and think I must be a shite rider, I can't feel any vibration or wheel being out of balance when I'm on nobblies :blush:

I admire you guys who can do that (thumbs)

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself

Return to “HOW TO..........”