polymorph and rim clamp balancing

If you know how to do something, share it with other members. i.e How to fix a puncture...How to ship a bike to Alaska etc. The post with the most 'Thank You' votes in a month wins an ABR Hoodie.
captinktm

Re: polymorph and rim clamp balancing

Post by captinktm »

Redmurty wrote:I read this thread with a little smirk on my face and think I must be a shite rider, I can't feel any vibration or wheel being out of balance when I'm on nobblies :blush:

I admire you guys who can do that (thumbs)

cheers Spud ;)
Ah Spud I to have a smirk on my face, you need to ride faster! :lol:
Big Yellow Tractor

Post by Big Yellow Tractor »

Redmurty wrote:I read this thread with a little smirk on my face and think I must be a shite rider, I can't feel any vibration or wheel being out of balance when I'm on nobblies :blush:

cheers Spud ;)
You'd really notice the difference on tarmac, even if you only get them balanced "somewhere near right" Much less vibey and wobbly.
captinktm

Post by captinktm »

minkyhead wrote:
captinktm wrote:
minkyhead wrote:all good advice ..ive used them alot beore bur for some reson this time they were realy bad ..i couldnt find a spot on the tyre to work with and ive never found any weights to fit the rim properly thus the weird solution

those lead ones seem to be good ..anyone know where i can get some narrow ones circa 5ml ?

it only showed at speed of 60 ..70 was annoying and 80 was terrible

it was the rear wheel causing the most problem i did that first and most of the vibs were gone ..the front wasnt nearly as bad in isolation

the motion pro ones are 40 percent lighter ill get some next time to reduce the amount of weights needed
Balance the wheel and rim lock and put the weights on the inside! Easy. Your rear shock may be on it's last legs if that's where it's most noticeable.
you mean under the rimtape ?that may work but ill need a much lighter rimlock ithink ..the weights on the rear were silly big ..i kept thinking this cant be right ..but the balencer told me it was and so it proved after fitting

the rear shock is perfect but with that amount of inbalence id guess it wont do the shock much good long term
If you use the thin sticky weights and put two rows or whats needed, stick them to the rim under the rim tape. I never leave the rim tape in there any way but use masking tape. So clean the rim stick um on and then wrap tape around the complete rim sealing it and securing the weights. I could show you but I aint taking tyres off just so you can see. It works a treat. Ah I have an enduro wheel with no tyre on if your still not sure whats going on?
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

cheers Spud ;)
..off road spud i wouldnt notice anything with the bounce surfaces and lower speed and for some reason this time it was annoyingly bad much worse than before and ive used the same clamp before ?started around 60 annoying at 70 and feckin awful 80and above

with the high ratio box the bike will cruise at 75/80mph all day and a different rider on a differnt bike on a closed road ..not me as a one off . has had it south of 105mph true ..id say under 70 i could live with it but at motorway cruising speed it was just too much
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

captinktm wrote:

cheers Spud ;)
Ah Spud I to have a smirk on my face, you need to ride faster! :lol:
you're not wrong there mate, but I'm trying :pinch: honest (thumbs)

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

captinktm wrote:
minkyhead wrote:
captinktm wrote:
minkyhead wrote:all good advice ..ive used them alot beore bur for some reson this time they were realy bad ..i couldnt find a spot on the tyre to work with and ive never found any weights to fit the rim properly thus the weird solution

those lead ones seem to be good ..anyone know where i can get some narrow ones circa 5ml ?

it only showed at speed of 60 ..70 was annoying and 80 was terrible

it was the rear wheel causing the most problem i did that first and most of the vibs were gone ..the front wasnt nearly as bad in isolation

the motion pro ones are 40 percent lighter ill get some next time to reduce the amount of weights needed
Balance the wheel and rim lock and put the weights on the inside! Easy. Your rear shock may be on it's last legs if that's where it's most noticeable.
you mean under the rimtape ?that may work but ill need a much lighter rimlock ithink ..the weights on the rear were silly big ..i kept thinking this cant be right ..but the balencer told me it was and so it proved after fitting

the rear shock is perfect but with that amount of inbalence id guess it wont do the shock much good long term
If you use the thin sticky weights and put two rows or whats needed, stick them to the rim under the rim tape. I never leave the rim tape in there any way but use masking tape. So clean the rim stick um on and then wrap tape around the complete rim sealing it and securing the weights. I could show you but I aint taking tyres off just so you can see. It works a treat. Ah I have an enduro wheel with no tyre on if your still not sure whats going on?
got it ..i think next time ill get a motion pro clamp and balence it the way you said nice clean solution thanks
i thank everyone for their input but i do like captain ktms idea the best so far
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

some great ideas on this thread .. (thumbs)
Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

Im sure I saw an image of a spoke mounted counterweight recently
Grim Reaper

Post by Grim Reaper »

I've used plumbers solder wrapped around the spokes to balance mine.
The lead weights will fit nicely if you can put a bend in them to follow the shape of the rim.
Flatter lead weights available for Karting off ebay Image

Return to “HOW TO..........”