Its that time of year again and the rivers are getting deeper. Crossing them can be fun?

If you know how to do something, share it with other members. i.e How to fix a puncture...How to ship a bike to Alaska etc. The post with the most 'Thank You' votes in a month wins an ABR Hoodie.
captinktm

Its that time of year again and the rivers are getting deeper. Crossing them can be fun?

Post by captinktm »

Advice on crossing rivers is just that, advice. Every crossing is different, but with some common sense and planning it need not end in tears.
This is by no means the be all and end all on river crossing and I welcome addition's that we can all share.
Most rivers should be reccon’d on foot and to do this safely by your self cut a good stout stick and use it as a third leg, maintaining a tripod all the time, and face up stream. If you are in a group then 2 guys can pair up and support each other. When you reach the other side always check the bank, if it’s steep then either find another way or modify it.
If you going to use a rope ( 50 mt climbing rope) then now is the time to secure it some distance up stream to a tree on the far bank, so it can be used as a pendulum assisting the crossing.
When cross anything but a river with a know bottom SIT DOWN! With your legs off the pegs, this way when (not if) the bike gets kicked side ways you are within a second of supporting your self, standing on the pegs you will be on your ass before you know what’s happened.
Maintain a stead throttle, depending on the bike this could just above tick over or quite a bit higher on a less powerful bike. Forward motion is controlled by the clutch!!
If as you are crossing the bike stops and a quick slip of the clutch does not help then jump off on the up stream side a push like your life depended on it, because it may.
If there is no current then steady progress should be maintain, looking at the exit point and being ready to fire the bike out if necessary. If on the other hand there is a current then you should aim the bike up stream into the current like a ferry at a 45 degree angle ish, if you don’t you will at best be washed down stream missing your planed exit, or worse the front wheel will be washed from under you. Heading into the current try to maintain the angle, the faster the current the more acute the angle, this will help keep the bike upright and push (ferry glide) you across the river.
If on the other side the bank is too steep to get up (maybe because you are the last rider in the group) then allow the bike to drift low of the exit and reach the bank facing more or less up stream. This way you can maintain your position and either leap off on to the bank and heave the bike up, or get your mates to help.
Know exactly where your bikes intake is, quite often if its high and on the down stream side you can ford a river as deep as your seat, because you are creating a pocket of air on the down stream side. Obviously fording the river the other way round the river can not be as deep.
If it’s 4 stroke and you are crossing a lot of rivers then re route the crank case breather to the head stock. Most vent (and suck) in the air box, which if you do take a swim will fill full of water, which is n’t really a problem, but if the water gets into the crank via the breather emulsifying the oil then that’s not so good. Some guys fit a foo foo valve prevent the water being sucked in.
As mentioned before if the river is deep and fast flowing and you must cross, a rope can help. This must be secured as far up stream on the other bank as possible and then secured to the head stock, with the bike heading into the current and supported by the rope the rider (or walker of the bike or two) can ease the bike toward the other bank, the rope will mean the bike ferry glides leaving the rider to concentrate on just keeping it upright.
If you have large waterproof panniers and the river is deep remove and walk them across, you don’t want their buoyancy lifting the rear wheel off the rive bed.
If you take a swim then kill the motor as soon as possible, every millisecond means more water in the motor.
If you drown the motor don’t panic it’s no big deal. Well not if it’s a 4 stroke that is.
I have in the past, used the de compressor and been able to restart the bike without any work but this was racing and not recommend when travelling.
Don’t forget the river does n’t care if you are an Enduro world champ or a novice, charge in with no thought and you’ll probably take a swim. I had set the course on the Turkish World Enduro Championship and Giovanni Sala (Many time World champ) and FIM track inspector and I were inspecting said track. He had been quite rude when we met and the proceeded to ride as if competing on a course that none of the roads or villages were closed. Well I kept up best I could, and redirecting him when he missed a turn. We reached a complicated part with many twists and turns so he fell in behind me, no doubt tutting at the lesser speed. We approached a deep ish river which I of course knew had to be crossed to the left where the bottom was even, and the far bank an easy exit. But his Sala ness thought the shortest route to the right would be faster and shot past me. Charging in he cross the river with a massive splash which probably obscured the vertical far bank, which he hit in third gear flat out! Milliseconds later he and his bike were floating down the river with him shouting Bastardo! Did I laugh? Only a lot.
SteveW

Re: Its that time of year again and the rivers are getting deeper. Crossing them can be fun?

Post by SteveW »

Good stuff.
A good tip I got on this subject was to enter the water slowly and don't create a bow wave and if it's not too deep a slow entry can help to keep you keep dry.
Although a less mature attitude can be more fun.
captinktm

Re: Its that time of year again and the rivers are getting deeper. Crossing them can be fun?

Post by captinktm »

SteveW wrote:Good stuff.
A good tip I got on this subject was to enter the water slowly and don't create a bow wave and if it's not too deep a slow entry can help to keep you keep dry.
Although a less mature attitude can be more fun.
Oh yes on many occasions I have seen guys enter the water slowly making no more than a ripple only to have there so called mate enter the water in 5th gear covering them. It's the law.
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

The only thing I disagree on is riding in with feet dangling--you are just a hinge on the seat and much more likely to tipple off sideways. Accepted that I know the depth and roughly that there are no large rocks I prefer to enter reasonably quickly, feet on pegs but crouching back to keep the front light, not sitting--and with a pretty firm almost straight arm grip on the bars and knees quite firm on the tank/seat. If you hit a submerged rock you have enough control, momentum and stiffness to keep the front pretty straight and it will either bounce over the rock or slip a bit sideways--but still pointing roughly in the right direction--just don't be tempted to back off or put your foot down if you still have have balance and momentum then keep going--treat it like a trials section!. The other best alternative is to walk the bike across--at least it will stay upright!
captinktm

Post by captinktm »

catcitrus wrote:The only thing I disagree on is riding in with feet dangling--you are just a hinge on the seat and much more likely to tipple off sideways. Accepted that I know the depth and roughly that there are no large rocks I prefer to enter reasonably quickly, feet on pegs but crouching back to keep the front light, not sitting--and with a pretty firm almost straight arm grip on the bars and knees quite firm on the tank/seat. If you hit a submerged rock you have enough control, momentum and stiffness to keep the front pretty straight and it will either bounce over the rock or slip a bit sideways--but still pointing roughly in the right direction--just don't be tempted to back off or put your foot down if you still have have balance and momentum then keep going--treat it like a trials section!. The other best alternative is to walk the bike across--at least it will stay upright!
I would tend to agree as long as you know the bottom is uniform and the current not too strong. But when the bottom is boulders or unpredictable, you will be swimming before you can get your feet off the pegs. The river crossings I encounter are seldom crossed and here in Bulgaria are super slippery rock, standing is not an option.
catcitrus

Post by catcitrus »

Thats a fair comment--especially having seen videos of Russians on Urals crossing unbelievable deep and rocky rivers---I'll walk mine across--if I can!

Return to “HOW TO..........”