How to ride in wet weather: riding tips, wet weather gear & bike setup

If you know how to do something, share it with other members. i.e How to fix a puncture...How to ship a bike to Alaska etc. The post with the most 'Thank You' votes in a month wins an ABR Hoodie.
-Ralph-

Re: How to ride in wet weather: riding tips, wet weather gear & bike setup

Post by -Ralph- »

92kk k100lt 193214 wrote:Many years back when I was a 16 year old we went out..... We rode them wet, icy, gravel etc and learnt how far we could push the bike under braking before we.... CRASHED
Corrected for you... Lol ;-)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
misterlaffer

Post by misterlaffer »

ollydog wrote:
misterlaffer wrote:
johnnyboxer wrote:
Godspeed wrote:Rear wheel traction test - if you aren't sure how grippy a surface is, try quickly locking up the rear wheel for a traction test.

Really? Try locking the wheel up? I wouldn't suggest anyone tries that...... :ohmy:
Why not?

Just a little fun

Locking a wheel up is a skid and a skid on the highway is considered loss of control of the vehicle. Remember your emergency stop part of the test you were not supposed to lock up (car bike, truck whatever). As much fun as it is (I agree) it's illegal and bad advice.
so is wheelies an stoppies, if you learn these skills the better control over the bike you have,

steve
Have to agree. To improve your riding skill while travelling in a straight line by getting the front or back up would be really useful. (thumbs)
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

johnnyboxer wrote:
misterlaffer wrote:
Locking a wheel up is a skid and a skid on the highway is considered loss of control of the vehicle. Remember your emergency stop part of the test you were not supposed to lock up (car bike, truck whatever). As much fun as it is (I agree) it's illegal and bad advice.
Oh, FFS

On a quiet backroad, with no other traffic around...... a little experimenting with grip levels is not going to do any harm

May save your bacon, to check adhesion levels
might be different tarmac around the corner :P :whistle:

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

want to be better at riding in the wet, then ride in the wet. I know quite a few guys who wont go out in the wet :laugh:

been said be smooth (thumbs)

forward observation (thumbs)

and relax (thumbs)

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
Old Git Ray

Post by Old Git Ray »

misterlaffer wrote:
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
halfpint

Post by halfpint »

what if stops raining do we park up and wait till it starts again? whats going on dont you just get on with it and use common sense!!. best stay in until summer .
Adventure Oz

Post by Adventure Oz »

thanks for the extra tips, worked some into the vid and first post.

re: a rear wheel skid test, i just figured this wouldn't need a few pages of fine print to explain fully lol. this IS an adventure riding channel and it's more about those dirt surfaces where you can't tell if it's grippy or slippery clay.

sure you could also use it on sealed roads but yes it would be:
- illegal
- dumb for a novice rider to try
- extra dumb to do in heavy city traffic
- mind blowingly dumb to do in the middle of a high speed wet corner.

:P
Old Git Ray

Post by Old Git Ray »

Adventure Oz wrote:thanks for the extra tips, worked some into the vid and first post.

re: a rear wheel skid test, i just figured this wouldn't need a few pages of fine print to explain fully lol. this IS an adventure riding channel and it's more about those dirt surfaces where you can't tell if it's grippy or slippery clay.

sure you could also use it on sealed roads but yes it would be:
- illegal
- dumb for a novice rider to try
- extra dumb to do in heavy city traffic
- mind blowingly dumb to do in the middle of a high speed wet corner.

:P
Please explain why inducing a momentary skid in controlled conditions to ascertain grip levels is illegal.

Rule 119 of the highway code covers skidding and advises on what to do in a skid. it is not a 'law' and backed up by legislation, like rule 123 is (leaving a vehicle unattended with it's engine running).

It is 'advisable' (as is most of the Highway Code) and therfore only useable in the event of an accident to apportion blame or as part of the commission of a 'Driving without due care' offence. When skidding is done to ascertain safe grip levels, it is clearly done with care and dilligence as a safety test.

Return to “HOW TO..........”