How to ride in wet weather: riding tips, wet weather gear & bike setup

If you know how to do something, share it with other members. i.e How to fix a puncture...How to ship a bike to Alaska etc. The post with the most 'Thank You' votes in a month wins an ABR Hoodie.
Nigel

Re: How to ride in wet weather: riding tips, wet weather gear & bike setup

Post by Nigel »

Nigel wrote:
johnnyboxer wrote:
Godspeed wrote:Rear wheel traction test - if you aren't sure how grippy a surface is, try quickly locking up the rear wheel for a traction test.

Really? Try locking the wheel up? I wouldn't suggest anyone tries that...... :ohmy:
Why not?

Just a little fun
Make sure you turn the TCS off every time you start the bike, way more fun (thumbs) back spins up on a wet white line so what :whistle: :laugh:
PS. happened last Sunday on a greasy road, Mini on it`s roof around a corner and a car in a ditch 1 mile later, bike still upright and reached my destination :whistle: (thumbs)
ollydog

Post by ollydog »

Andi_Archer wrote:Keep an even speed around corners no sudden application of throttle or brakes.
Read the road ahead especially what other traffic is doing that might affect your actions.
If your wearing a one piece and siting for most of your ride pull it up and over at the bottom of the zip area so it doesnt make a pocket for water to run down your front and collect.This will enter through the zip wetting you prematurly and spoil your enjoyment no end.
best tip here

steve
captinktm

Post by captinktm »

I always drop my tyre pressure by at least 7 psi, this will help crate a bit more heat in the tyre and for it to follow the road surface.
misterlaffer

Post by misterlaffer »

johnnyboxer wrote:
Godspeed wrote:Rear wheel traction test - if you aren't sure how grippy a surface is, try quickly locking up the rear wheel for a traction test.

Really? Try locking the wheel up? I wouldn't suggest anyone tries that...... :ohmy:
Why not?

Just a little fun

Locking a wheel up is a skid and a skid on the highway is considered loss of control of the vehicle. Remember your emergency stop part of the test you were not supposed to lock up (car bike, truck whatever). As much fun as it is (I agree) it's illegal and bad advice.
Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

As the video is off roading Id suggest different tactics for different situations.
Be like the Borg adapt and overcome :D
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

misterlaffer wrote:
Locking a wheel up is a skid and a skid on the highway is considered loss of control of the vehicle. Remember your emergency stop part of the test you were not supposed to lock up (car bike, truck whatever). As much fun as it is (I agree) it's illegal and bad advice.
Oh, FFS

On a quiet backroad, with no other traffic around...... a little experimenting with grip levels is not going to do any harm

May save your bacon, to check adhesion levels
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
ollydog

Post by ollydog »

misterlaffer wrote:
johnnyboxer wrote:

Why not?

Just a little fun

so is wheelies an stoppies, if you learn these skills the better control over the bike you have,

steve
ollydog

Post by ollydog »

Andi_Archer wrote:As the video is off roading Id suggest different tactics for different situations.
Be like the Borg adapt and overcome :D
andy is that the same as assimilate lol

steve
92kk k100lt 193214

Post by 92kk k100lt 193214 »

Many years back when I was a 16 year old we went out to see what different surfaces were like in poor conditions. We rode them wet, icy, gravel etc and learnt how far we could push the bike under braking before we lost traction. These were days before ABS and we learnt how much braking you could use with confidence without inducing a skid and we learnt to feel the brakes as opposed to simply use them. We did the same on bicycles and in cars and more than once the experience has prevented injury and damage. We did practice skids and control but in disused shopping centre car parks.

I live rural and regularly have to deal with leaves, mud, ice and so on as I use the bike all year and to be honest if I didn't have those experiences I wouldn't ride in winter.

But the only way we could learn how to feel a skid come on and how to stop it was using places without traffic or large car parks. Its something you don't forget and even now I like to know what the surface is like when conditions are not ideal. As others have said once you lose traction as in get a skid its nearly over. Sadly I have encountered guys making expensive engine damage drops in icy conditions on very expensive bikes simply because they were unaware of how to read the surfaces and signs or unsure of what to do.

Its not just about skids though. Even more important is reading the road surfaces and being aware of what you are riding on so you can avoid them in the first place. Like in winter on rural roads the nice shiny wheel tracks and the gravel in the middle may mean the shiny bits are black ice and the gravel strip remains just gravel- the surface you studiously avoid in summer you go straight for on a frosty morning. Or hanging back in traffic at a roundabout so you can see the road surface emerging from under the vehicle in front of you isn't contaminated by diesel.

I have always put on new tyres in winter, have a new set going on next week, so that best of tread etc is in place. They don't last that long anyway, April will mean a replacement set for summer. My rear is still legal at 11,000 miles but there is nothing like nice new tyres for winter.
1992 K100LT June 2010 110,000 miles
1984 K100RT July 2013 36,000 miles, 90,000
1983 K100RS Nov 2018 29,000 miles, 58,600 miles
1996 K1100LT Oct 2020 37,990 miles, 48,990 miles
1984 K100 Sprint March 2023 58,000 miles, 62,000 miles
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

92kk k100lt 193214 wrote:Many years back when I was a 16 year old we went out to see what different surfaces were like in poor conditions. We rode them wet, icy, gravel etc and learnt how far we could push the bike under braking before we lost traction. These were days before ABS and we learnt how much braking you could use with confidence without inducing a skid and we learnt to feel the brakes as opposed to simply use them. We did the same on bicycles and in cars and more than once the experience has prevented injury and damage. We did practice skids and control but in disused shopping centre car parks.

I live rural and regularly have to deal with leaves, mud, ice and so on as I use the bike all year and to be honest if I didn't have those experiences I wouldn't ride in winter.

But the only way we could learn how to feel a skid come on and how to stop it was using places without traffic or large car parks. Its something you don't forget and even now I like to know what the surface is like when conditions are not ideal. As others have said once you lose traction as in get a skid its nearly over. Sadly I have encountered guys making expensive engine damage drops in icy conditions on very expensive bikes simply because they were unaware of how to read the surfaces and signs or unsure of what to do.

Its not just about skids though. Even more important is reading the road surfaces and being aware of what you are riding on so you can avoid them in the first place. Like in winter on rural roads the nice shiny wheel tracks and the gravel in the middle may mean the shiny bits are black ice and the gravel strip remains just gravel- the surface you studiously avoid in summer you go straight for on a frosty morning. Or hanging back in traffic at a roundabout so you can see the road surface emerging from under the vehicle in front of you isn't contaminated by diesel.

I have always put on new tyres in winter, have a new set going on next week, so that best of tread etc is in place. They don't last that long anyway, April will mean a replacement set for summer. My rear is still legal at 11,000 miles but there is nothing like nice new tyres for winter.
Very wise words (thumbs)
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like

Return to “HOW TO..........”