Foreign bike sale advice

If you know how to do something, share it with other members. i.e How to fix a puncture...How to ship a bike to Alaska etc. The post with the most 'Thank You' votes in a month wins an ABR Hoodie.
Big Yellow Tractor

Re: Foreign bike sale advice

Post by Big Yellow Tractor »

Cone wrote:Agreed i had that worrying feeling the other day when i was cleaning my bike withe the garage door open when the rag and bone men drove past peering into my garage at a crawling pace
"Rag and Bone men" Don't you mean fat-necked-thieving-pikey-scum ?
Peirre

Post by Peirre »

To be politically correct they arnt pikey scum, they are now know as
Caravan
Utilising
Nomadic
Travelling
Society
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

Cone wrote:Agreed i had that worrying feeling the other day when i was cleaning my bike withe the garage door open when the rag and bone men drove past peering into my garage at a crawling pace
Careful. This happened to me when I lived in Solihull. My two bikes on the driveway, my brother in laws in the garage while we worked on it together. Pikeys rode past looking for scrap metal, peered right up the driveway into the garage, then turned at the bottom of the road, did the same on the way back. They returned 20 minutes later and did the same again.... did they think somebody would have put more scrap metal out in the last 20 minutes???

My dog at the time did not like strangers so on their last pass I whispered, "who is it?" "go get them" and he launched down the driveway after the transit pickup snarling his head off.

Now you'd think this would give them a head up, but no!

We had a 6ft wall with a 7/8ft Hawthorn hedge up the outside of it. A few mornings later I found two jackets ripped to pieces and pinned on the top of the hedge, and a fleece about half way down on the outside. The back gate had been forced. The neighbour had heard the dog going mental about 4am.

The police visited and concluded that they had come in the gate, seen the door of the shed was open, gone to find tools to break into the garage with, opened the door and met the dog again who was sleeping in the shed, shat themselves, and took the fastest way out with teeth snapping at their backsides, which was up that wall and over the hedge.

It's amazing what a black labrador can do when it's upset (thumbs)

"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
Cone

Post by Cone »

Sadly i have a spaniel he will run up to intruders looking really mean and loud then roll over and wee on their feet. But yes i check my bikes in the garage every day now lol
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

Big Yellow Tractor wrote:
This was a good topic, buy it's degenerating into one reason why less and less people are watching this forum ...
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
Big Yellow Tractor

The Spanish Biker wrote:
This was a good topic, buy it's degenerating into one reason why less and less people are watching this forum ...
Sorry about that Simon, but it's something that I can't help getting wound up about. We have so much stuff thieved by these people; bikes, cars, materials and even pets and they are just so bloody brazen about it. They know that people are scared to challenge them for fear of reprisals and that they are unlikely to get caught or prosecuted. See, got myself wound up again. I will try not to allow myself to bite in future.
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

The Spanish Biker wrote:
Sorry about that Simon, but it's something that I can't help getting wound up about. We have so much stuff thieved by these people; bikes, cars, materials and even pets and they are just so bloody brazen about it. They know that people are scared to challenge them for fear of reprisals and that they are unlikely to get caught or prosecuted. See, got myself wound up again. I will try not to allow myself to bite in future.
Thanks for this BYT - I was probably being a bit harsh. Yes, I know the situation is bad - back in the '90's were were burgled by the same 'gang' as regularly as swallows i spring (according to the Police they calculate how long it takes the insurance to cough up and for you to replace your stuff, then they were back with a shopping list ...) In the end we just moved and learned not to feel attached to material things - well, sort of ...

But you've got me going on the pet theft issue, which happens here too. We adopted a dog lately who, by pure fluke, looks best of breed material. Naturally the adoption place insisted on his being sterilised - did it themselves at our expense to be on the safe side - but a thief wouldn't know that and I shudder to think of his fate f he did get knicked and then discovered to be n use for breeding. So we'e all got our raw nerves ...

Take is easy buddy and enjoy what you've got while you have it (thumbs)

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
Big Yellow Tractor

Simon,

It was always a worry when I had my Labrador, he would happily go off with anyone.
The Spanish Biker wrote: This was a good topic, buy it's degenerating into one reason why less and less people are watching this forum ...
I think we can say it's well and truly hijacked now. :whistle:

Sorry Kito and best of luck with the sale. We all have to be careful but we do also have to remember that the vast majority of people are honest.

Colin

Return to “HOW TO..........”