Foreign bike sale advice

If you know how to do something, share it with other members. i.e How to fix a puncture...How to ship a bike to Alaska etc. The post with the most 'Thank You' votes in a month wins an ABR Hoodie.
kito

Foreign bike sale advice

Post by kito »

Hi looking for some advice please. I am selling a bike and a guy in Germany is interested in buying it we have exchanged a few mails and hear is the latest one and wat he wants to do
ok, great
i will take it with the fuel tank
could you fill out a sales agreement for the bike?
My name and address
xxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxx

After you send me the signed agreement with a copy of your passport i will transfer 200GBP as a deposit by bank transfer and orgnize the courier
the rest of the money will be cash (if not possible i will also transfer it before the pick up)

thanks xxxxx

I obviously want to cover myself but want to make it easy and satisfactory to us both.
Has anyone ever done this ? Anything I should be aware of ?
Thanks kito
Whippet

Re: Foreign bike sale advice

Post by Whippet »

I'd be very careful Kito, are you sure he's from Germany ? And don't give him your bank details, there are so many scams at the moment. He may well be legitimate, however I would do any financial transactions through pay pal (thumbs)
650ginge

Post by 650ginge »

Honestly unless you are desperate or selling something really unusual I would not entertain this.

Bikes are generally cheaper in Germany than the UK, so why buy here?

As for giving out bank details to strangers, I advise against it.

He has your email he can send a deposit by PayPal or something, or full cash amount on collection.

I would not accept a payment by any other means at the time of sale.

I have bought in Germany and UK in the past, I live in Ireland. I would not do it this way.
92kk k100lt 193214

Post by 92kk k100lt 193214 »

Deposit by PayPal.

Cash on pick up, courier brings cash.
1992 K100LT June 2010 110,000 miles
1984 K100RT July 2013 36,000 miles, 90,000
1983 K100RS Nov 2018 29,000 miles, 58,600 miles
1996 K1100LT Oct 2020 37,990 miles, 48,990 miles
1984 K100 Sprint March 2023 58,000 miles, 62,000 miles
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

Bank details and passport details can I have them as well please (thumbs)

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
kito

Post by kito »

Yes guys I was thinking it but thanks for the advice. I guess it's a risk for both sides.
I'm not happy to give details out myself .
Redmurty

Post by Redmurty »

kito wrote:Yes guys I was thinking it but thanks for the advice. I guess it's a risk for both sides.
I'm not happy to give details out myself .
to be fair if it is genuine then the other guy is taking a big risk as well, but some one could do a great amount with you bank and passport details. They may just be trying to mitigate their own risk BUT!

cheers Spud ;)
Life... it's not a dress rehearsal

You don't waste time... you waste yourself
Bojer

Post by Bojer »

I sold a bike to Sweden and he paid by bank transfer with no issues , a risk on his part too I guess . In theory your bank details on their own aren't a risk , no worse than handing over a cheque that has them on ayway but wanting your passport details seems an odd one and one I'd avoid ?

Be wary that PP gives you no extra "protection" but does isolate the buyer from your bank details if its a concern .You do hear of PP claiming the money back from your account as the "purchase" was funded by a stolen or otherwise dodgy card - or the buyer reports it as such anyway....
diggermanbob

Post by diggermanbob »

kito wrote:Hi looking for some advice please. I am selling a bike and a guy in Germany is interested in buying it we have exchanged a few mails and hear is the latest one and wat he wants to do
ok, great
i will take it with the fuel tank
could you fill out a sales agreement for the bike?
My name and address
xxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxx
He wants your signature , copy of your passport and bank details !!!! I would walk away from that one :dry:

After you send me the signed agreement with a copy of your passport i will transfer 200GBP as a deposit by bank transfer and orgnize the courier
the rest of the money will be cash (if not possible i will also transfer it before the pick up)

thanks xxxxx

I obviously want to cover myself but want to make it easy and satisfactory to us both.
Has anyone ever done this ? Anything I should be aware of ?
Thanks kito
diggermanbob

Post by diggermanbob »

Hi Kito , he wants your signature , copy of your passport and bank details , walk away (thumbs)

Return to “HOW TO..........”