How do you deal with gusting cross wind?

If you know how to do something, share it with other members. i.e How to fix a puncture...How to ship a bike to Alaska etc. The post with the most 'Thank You' votes in a month wins an ABR Hoodie.
Paul Neate

Re: How do you deal with gusting cross wind?

Post by Paul Neate »

-Ralph- wrote:So my advice for dealing with it....

Firstly, relax.... you dont need to go book a hotel, thats the opposite reaction, panic. When did you last hear of somebody crashing a motorbike due to high wind?

AND RELAX, you're not going to crash, it's just a bit of wind, your bike can handle it.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Ralph (and others), thanks for your thoughts on this, bu I am not sure all the suggestions apply if you are riding a "road" with a loose surface. I am thinking here of some of the roads I have driven in a Land Rover in Ethiopia (apologies for country reference :-P) where trucks have piled up the loose stones into ridges of gravel, sometimes several inches deep. If you are running at any speed in the relatively firm and clear wheel tracks and get blown off course into the gravel it's definitely going to be time for the brown trousers if nothing worse.

So I guess the only options are slow right down or pull over and wait for better conditions.
SteveW

Post by SteveW »

I can only think of one incidence when I've encountered high gusting crosswinds on a gravel road.
I just slowed down, I can't think of anything else to do.
If you're being blown off-course, the faster you're travelling the greater the distance you'll veer off you intended line.
My 450exc with the rally faring is bundle of fun in crosswinds, light weight and slab-sided.
-Ralph-

Post by -Ralph- »

Paul Neate wrote:
-Ralph- wrote:So my advice for dealing with it....

Firstly, relax.... you dont need to go book a hotel, thats the opposite reaction, panic. When did you last hear of somebody crashing a motorbike due to high wind?

AND RELAX, you're not going to crash, it's just a bit of wind, your bike can handle it.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Ralph (and others), thanks for your thoughts on this, bu I am not sure all the suggestions apply if you are riding a "road" with a loose surface. I am thinking here of some of the roads I have driven in a Land Rover in Ethiopia (apologies for country reference :-P) where trucks have piled up the loose stones into ridges of gravel, sometimes several inches deep. If you are running at any speed in the relatively firm and clear wheel tracks and get blown off course into the gravel it's definitely going to be time for the brown trousers if nothing worse.

So I guess the only options are slow right down or pull over and wait for better conditions.
My advice applies to a surfaced road, I've no idea how to handle it on a loose surface.
"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view" - Obi-Wan Kenobi
92kk k100lt 193214

Post by 92kk k100lt 193214 »

There is another risk not mentioned....for road risks.

That of other vehicles being blown off course and in your direction.

Not only must you watch your own position but also watch if other high sided vehicles are approaching a gap. This particularly important if the wind direction is from the other side of the road.

After that there's the self propelled wheelie bin, the tree branch, the advertising hoarding......or, as I also saw one day, building sheeting being blown off the roof of a building where it was stored for a roofing contract in progress.

You really do have to keep the eyes peeled.
1992 K100LT June 2010 110,000 miles
1984 K100RT July 2013 36,000 miles, 90,000
1983 K100RS Nov 2018 29,000 miles, 36,400 miles
1996 K1100LT Oct 2020 37,990 miles
1984 K100 Sprint March 2023 58,000 miles
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

sprintster wrote:
MarkR wrote:Go faster. Velocity is your friend.
You'll have more gyroscopic stabilty from your wheels and your sheer mass will have more momentum.
Works better on faster heavier bikes :)
Some of us on here once rode across Denmark, bridges and all, in bloody awful winter gales, on overloaded mid size trailys.
There's always one! :whistle: :laugh:
When the gust that even your extra speed can't stop you going off course comes you will then be even further off course in the same amount of time!
He's not bullshiiting, I was with him and every time we got to an exposed bridge or similar there'd be a really helpful windsock flying horizontally across the road so we knew it was going to be a bit entertaining. I found myself slowing down (or speeding up) so I had a gap in the traffic and 2 lanes to use rather than risk being blown sideways into another vehicle.
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

92kk k100lt 193214 wrote:There is another risk not mentioned....for road risks.

That of other vehicles being blown off course and in your direction.

Not only must you watch your own position but also watch if other high sided vehicles are approaching a gap. This particularly important if the wind direction is from the other side of the road.

After that there's the self propelled wheelie bin, the tree branch, the advertising hoarding......or, as I also saw one day, building sheeting being blown off the roof of a building where it was stored for a roofing contract in progress.

You really do have to keep the eyes peeled.
Too true, I'0ve had to dodge balls of tumbleweed the size of a combi-van and one day stopped for fuel to find a seagull entwined in my front wheel - never even saw it 'hit'!

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
rallymoto

Post by rallymoto »

had to smile at this post !!!!!!! untill yesterday, testing at sweetlamb adventurebike academy with motorcycle sport and leisure ......simpy got blow off my hp2 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!scary
Liam gsa

Post by Liam gsa »

Best tips I could say what hasn't been pointed out yet

is to push down on the foot pegs i.e. If you wanna go right push right works a treat on the road
This is the main way you move the bike about when on the loose stuff
But you need to relax your grip and be comfortable with the bike moving around
I know is hard to do when getting sharp random blusters of wind but it's a quick reaction thing you do to counter it almost instinctive
If ya get what I mean :)

Regards liam
dave h

Post by dave h »

just go with the blow B)

Dave.
Hodge57

Post by Hodge57 »

Hide alongside a very big lorry

Return to “HOW TO..........”