How do you deal with gusting cross wind?

If you know how to do something, share it with other members. i.e How to fix a puncture...How to ship a bike to Alaska etc. The post with the most 'Thank You' votes in a month wins an ABR Hoodie.
Paul Neate

How do you deal with gusting cross wind?

Post by Paul Neate »

Riding home last night I was getting battered by strong gusts of wind, probably to about 40 mph. Constant wind speed was about 25 mph. The gusts were pushing me off course by maybe half a metre to a metre. Not so bad on a well-surfaced road, but would have been a problem on a loose surface.

How do you deal with this sort of a problem? It would be a nightmare riding something like ruta 40.
cocker

Re: How do you deal with gusting cross wind?

Post by cocker »

i just ride a bit slower and relax, slight lean into the wind
gary b

Post by gary b »

Agree with cocker, slow it down a bit and ride as the conditions allow
sprintster

Post by sprintster »

I know it's easier said than done but try and relax and don't have a death grip of the bars.If you're arms are relaxed you'll be able to react quicker to gusts.Look for places where you can expect a gust to come from so you're ready for it.The end of a row of trees,road openings etc.Slow down.
SimonKTM

Post by SimonKTM »

I would stop at the nearest pub and wait a few days till it calms down :)
Simon_100

Post by Simon_100 »

I agree with all of the above especially SimonKTM (thumbs)

This is a serious problem for me as to get to anywhere else in spain I have to cross the Ebro depression, which is subject to the El Cierzo wind that blows about 100 days per year. I've been reduced to riding at about 20 kph and lean right off the bike, sometimes being blown across three lanes of an autovia -starting out on the hard shoulder.

Also pray that the oncoming truck, coach, etc. driver is on your side :whistle:

Regs

Simon
Be sure to visit www.thespanishbiker.com the invaluable guide to motorcycling in Spain - plus guided rides, HISS Events* and off road touring support service

*Highly Informal Sojourns in Spain
Paul-S

Post by Paul-S »

If you have to ride try to relax your grip on the bars. I ride with just fingers and thumb contact rather than a full on grip

Set speed according to how much buffeting you are getting. It's easy on a sports bike to use the aerodynamics of the bike, tuck in and nail it. On a trailie you have no aerodynamics, you're riding a big sail. Do as sailors would do and the let wind flow where it wants to

Body position is not as normal, hiding behind a screen (if you have one) will not help. Try moving out from behind the screen into the side you're getting the wind from, this will reduce buffeting and drag.

Let the bike move in the breeze, it won't move as much as if you were stiff on the bike or gripping the tank with your knees etc. Let your body momentum carry you. You'll have a far more comfortable and relaxed ride and you'll feel more in control.

This has worked for me many years. The worst I had was on a Transalp, my Africa Twins are more stable, the DRZ400s coped but did suffer a bit due to being far lighter than the rest

I only ride on knobbly tyres so I'm far more prone to bike wandering.

Hope this helps

Everyone is different and will have differing opinions
minkyhead

Post by minkyhead »

counter steer into it and somtimes just accelerate a little if im being pushed hard .. first move should be to go to the handlebars and push in the direction of the gust ..
pain in the ass int it :(
whats the wether forcast ..wheres me map
Tonibe63

Post by Tonibe63 »

On the motorway yesterday I tried to be aware of exposed places like gaps in trees/trucks etc, grip the tank with my knees, tighten stomach muscles a bit and use the handlebars to steer the bike rather than leaning body into it (much less tiring).
Open your eyes and you see what is in front of you, open your mind and you see a bigger picture but open your heart and you see a whole new World.
Earwig

Post by Earwig »

Agree with above about relaxing, counter steering etc (thumbs) would just add that make sure you keep a good clear area each side to sway into if caught by a gust (thumbs)

Return to “HOW TO..........”