Register an Imported Bike

If you know how to do something, share it with other members. i.e How to fix a puncture...How to ship a bike to Alaska etc. The post with the most 'Thank You' votes in a month wins an ABR Hoodie.
Bernard Smith

Re: Register an Imported Bike

Post by Bernard Smith »

All interesting stuff, thank you. (thumbs)

Reader’s Digest on TOUCHING THE WORLD - “…rueful, irreverent, always incredibly vivid, unfailingly honest, a powerful love story in a book crammed with astonishing achievements.”

http://www.worldtour.org.uk

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews ... wpoints=1/
pinball1008

Post by pinball1008 »

Finally got an answer today.
20% vat is payable on the value of the bike when you import it!
Yes, emissions are checked as is the parking light.
Not all those wandering are lost
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

Spaceman

Post by Spaceman »

I thought i would update this as my bike is now legal in the UK.

MSVA test was nothing major, i had concerns but the process was a pleasure. Next day i went for an MOT again passed on the frame number. Bike insured for 30 days on the frame number with Carole Nash. I posted the paperwork to the DVLA, it arrived and today i called to be told its all good and i got issued a verbal reg number.

MSVA Friday 13/11/15
MOT Saturday 14/11/15
Posted 16/11/15
DVLA recieved 18/11/15
Verbal confirmation today.
picos mestizo

Post by picos mestizo »

pinball1008 wrote:2 friends of mine recently imported 2 DRZ's from the USA. SVA is required plus MOT obviously. Issues that caused them concern were, 1. Emissions, turned out mot to be a problem. p2p.Headlight beam, DRZ'S are not angled so OK. 3.Parking light, USA bikes don't have these, but a £2.99 jobby from eBay and a 10mm drill and all was good. I'm unsure as to what import duty/vat was payable but I can probably find out.
You don't need a parking light in the UK. Not part of MOT test.
Lightness is everything.

Lightness with Grunt is a Scratcher!

An Adventure is not a tank transfer.
scouse

Post by scouse »

picos mestizo wrote:
pinball1008 wrote:2 friends of mine recently imported 2 DRZ's from the USA. SVA is required plus MOT obviously. Issues that caused them concern were, 1. Emissions, turned out mot to be a problem. p2p.Headlight beam, DRZ'S are not angled so OK. 3.Parking light, USA bikes don't have these, but a £2.99 jobby from eBay and a 10mm drill and all was good. I'm unsure as to what import duty/vat was payable but I can probably find out.
You don't need a parking light in the UK. Not part of MOT test.
Not MOT but for SVA - different set of rules and this is for conformity to Type Approval not road worthiness.
Gaffer tape is The Force! It has a light side and a dark side and holds the Universe together!

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." - Steve McQueen
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

Spaceman wrote:I thought i would update this as my bike is now legal in the UK.

MSVA test was nothing major, i had concerns but the process was a pleasure. Next day i went for an MOT again passed on the frame number. Bike insured for 30 days on the frame number with Carole Nash. I posted the paperwork to the DVLA, it arrived and today i called to be told its all good and i got issued a verbal reg number.

MSVA Friday 13/11/15
MOT Saturday 14/11/15
Posted 16/11/15
DVLA recieved 18/11/15
what about the vat?
scouse

Post by scouse »

Mike54 wrote:
Spaceman wrote:I thought i would update this as my bike is now legal in the UK.

MSVA Friday 13/11/15
MOT Saturday 14/11/15
Posted 16/11/15
DVLA recieved 18/11/15
what about the vat?
You pay that to the DVLA and when I registered an Italian KLR600 I didn't have to pay VAT as internal in the EU and secondhand so no import fees but had to pay for a years tax at the same time... they act as a revenue collection service.
Gaffer tape is The Force! It has a light side and a dark side and holds the Universe together!

"I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth." - Steve McQueen
Dazzer

Post by Dazzer »

Its straight forward but all depends of If the vehicle is from inside the Eu or outside .

Ether way you most notify HMRC in writing within 14 days of it entering the UK. failure to do so can result in a £5 per day fine being added to the costs .

https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk

Once the paperwork and fees are paid to HMRC then you will need to fill in a Form from DVLA V55/5 . when sending this form to DVLA you will also require a New MOT for the Vehicle , Log book or equivalent for country of origin along with proof of insurance in the UK and Photo ID .There is also a fee of £55 and the fee of the road tax of the vehicle ( 6 months or 12 months )

It takes longer to sort out the Customs side of the paper work but once thats done the DVLA part is quick as long as you send then everything they ask for.
steve the grease

Post by steve the grease »

.sorry trying to delete post as not relevant.

Return to “HOW TO..........”