Where do you distribute weight on your bike?

If you know how to do something, share it with other members. i.e How to fix a puncture...How to ship a bike to Alaska etc. The post with the most 'Thank You' votes in a month wins an ABR Hoodie.
Brenhden

Where do you distribute weight on your bike?

Post by Brenhden »

Hi Guys,

Just Sorting out luggage on my DR350, I'll be taking full camping gear and doing about 500KM of dirt roads. So I have some questions:

Should I try and bring the weight forward with mini saddlebags over the tank? Is that where the heavy stuff should be like fuel bottles and tools?

Top to bottom I think the weight should be between the wheel hubbs and the top of the seat. Is that right?

I'm hoping to have nothing above the seat so I won't need the top rack. I'll just sling my jacket on there when its too hot to wear.

How much weight can I mount on the front mudguard?

I love preparing for adventure :woohoo:
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡«πŸ‡·πŸ‡§πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡±πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ͺπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡¬πŸ‡·πŸ‡©πŸ‡ͺ
redbikejohn

Re: Where do you distribute weight on your bike?

Post by redbikejohn »

Front guard is good for a tube, mini tyre levers and co2 pump in one of those little bags. Has to be very tightly attached as it can come lose.
Plenty of people use the tank side bags. Not tried them myself yet but if it off road you are doing then I'd make sure you can move around on bike and that you can still get your leg out in corners.
Might be a good idea to fit a heavier rear spring for the trip.
Yamaha tenere 700
XT660Z written off from behind by car.

Check out www.redbikejohn.com for ride & race reports (enduro, H&H etc).
brett73

Post by brett73 »

Leave her at home :lol:
Brenhden

Post by Brenhden »

brett73 wrote:Leave her at home :lol:
I'll tell her you said that :P

Thanks John, that sounds like a plan. I'll get a little webbing bag and strap it down like crazy...

All my luggage weighs about 20kg and I weigh about 80 in my gear so I think the shock will cope. I'm going to do some shakedown weekends over the Summer across Devon and Salisbury Plain hopefully.
And now, Harry, let us step out into the night and pursue that flighty temptress, adventure.

Suzuki DR200 Djebel.
πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡«πŸ‡·πŸ‡§πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡±πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡ͺπŸ‡ΈπŸ‡¬πŸ‡·πŸ‡©πŸ‡ͺ
AndyB

Post by AndyB »

Get the weight high up at the back because wheelies are always fun (thumbs)
Tramp

Post by Tramp »

Hi Brenden..i use a atv tank bag thingy on the ccn throw over the tank and held on with a strong elastic net..holds camera and sunglasses..front tube and wet wipes and spare gloves..it does spread the knees but not uncomfy rode the trails too and it didnt.move but youd need a plastic bag if it rained..i have 13ltr tankband managed fine just refilled at 100mls with 50 left..use 2 20ltr dry bags clipped together thrown over seat and a 35ltr duffle...thats 15kg max..with tent its extra 2kg...have small topbox for waterproofs and dailybfood....sorted..
Willandkate

Post by Willandkate »

Just chuck it in. Heavy bits at bottom if poss like any other bag/packing. Don't forget not to brim the bags, it makes it a pain everytime you pack up and move on. Give yourself some space, if you've forgotten something there will be shops along the way. If you're new to this don't be too hard on yourself. We all learn a little bit everytime we ride.

Have fun
Our biggest ride - Australia to England

www.wollongongtowoolwich.co.uk
Road2Manchester

Post by Road2Manchester »

I weigh 20 stone..... it makes no difference LOL
cam to gif

If you ride like the wind, expect to get blown away. One lifetime is all we get use it wisely this ain;t no practise.
gland

Post by gland »

I carry most of weight round my middle but have a surprisingly small arse
Elle

Post by Elle »

I've contemplated tank bags - a few Serow guys use cheap army bags from ebay & I liked their adaptations.
One guy had a tupperware box in each to keep documents, extra cash and some lightweight camping items dry and easily accessible. Personally, I wouldn't use them to store anything easily breakable or metal objects that could pierce the tank.

Re fuel - what about a flat fuel container that straps to the rear rack? It won't be taking up valuable space & isn't likely to get crushed in a fall.

If you're going to the Horizons weekend, it's a great time to look around at what others have done (thumbs)
living an ordinary life in a non-ordinary way

Return to β€œHOW TO..........”