Midges

If you know how to do something, share it with other members. i.e How to fix a puncture...How to ship a bike to Alaska etc. The post with the most 'Thank You' votes in a month wins an ABR Hoodie.
Jak*

Midges

Post by Jak* »

Hi, at the end of the week my son and I are heading up to Scotland. We are aiming to do a lot of point son the round Britain rally, sort of vaguely following the NC500, heading up East to start then across the top to Skye, from there we are heading to Dalwhinnie to meet a friend and do a couple of days canoeing before heading for Loch Etive for a family holiday. Previously on trips to Scotland I have not had an issue with midges but I have heard that it is particularly bad this year. I have got some Widerness wash which tends to keep a lot of bugs away and some Smidge repellent. Is it necessary or worth getting a midge Head net? Is there anything else we can do to avoid getting bitten? I usually find I am like the sacrificial goat that you leave tethered outside a village to keep the lions at bay, if someone is going to be bitten it will be me. We intend Wild Camping when we can although if anyone has any recommendations for good, cheap campsites that would be appreciated. As a rough guide we are intending to stop overnight near, Dunblane, Forres, Durness, Kyle of Lochalsh, Dalwhiinie.
Thanks
P4ulie

Re: Midges

Post by P4ulie »

Without a doubt get a head net, if by some chance you don't need it, they hardly take up much space. I wouldn't wild camp without one.

How to avoid getting bitten...hmm stay indoors :lol:

I haven't been up there this year but hearing ticks are particularly bad too, make sure you have a remover in your first aid kit. My record is 39 of the feckers on me at one time, teach me to go rescue a dog from long grass!
With enough profanity, you can accomplish anything
Billy Bananahead

Post by Billy Bananahead »

You might still be able to wild camp in the dunes at the Findhorn bay car park near Forres.
crofty

Post by crofty »

+1 for head net and skin so soft by Avon is a minimum requirement, even consider a net that covers head and shoulders so you can eat and drink in peace are good too, Highlander make them, if I was wild camping in Scotland i would have one.
Elmer J Fudd

Post by Elmer J Fudd »

Midgie nets are well worth it, but need to be well tucked in to keep the wee buggers out. Smoking a pipe or being next to a pipe smoker also works, but can affect you in other ways. Citronella candles for the tent.

Skin so soft apparently isn't as effective anymore, but you can buy the original formula, never used it myself, the idea not to rub it in, but sit on the skin creating a film. I've used jungle formula and smidge for many years to good effect.

This is a good site for info https://www.calltoadventure.uk/post/midges-in-scotland

Check for ticks every night and if gotten go to the doctor
Ricalnic

Post by Ricalnic »

As someone who appears to be highly desirable to the midges, this was a fantastic discovery a few years ago and shared by friends in our camping troupe
I find it very effective
Odomos Mosquito Repellent Cream
johnnyboxer

Post by johnnyboxer »

Why are midges so prevalent in the Western Highlands?
We did the Cairngorms & Deeside the other weekend and there were none
We went to the other side ...near Ullapool - out they came
We buy things we don't need

With money we don't have

To impress people we don't even like
Oop North John

Post by Oop North John »

johnnyboxer wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:34 am Why are midges so prevalent in the Western Highlands?
We did the Cairngorms & Deeside the other weekend and there were none
We went to the other side ...near Ullapool - out they came
All you ever wanted to know about the little helpers that keep Scotland less densely populated than England etc:

https://www.highlandtitles.com/blog/mid ... ge-habitat
Ksithumper

Post by Ksithumper »

Think you've just emptied the NCT500!
blue bus

Post by blue bus »

have them little buggers finished for the year yet , around Ben Nevis

Return to “HOW TO..........”