Big Bike Rally Challenge

Win free stuff
Dysan

Big Bike Rally Challenge

Post by Dysan »

At the weekend I met up with an old friend who was going to stay over at my place after the first day of an event. I met him at the Ryedale Rally (aka part of The big bike rally challenge) north east of Pickering.

Finding out there was a "no show" I decided that I'd enter along with my mate. Hoping this would be the case I'd brought my MX gear just in case as the weather was looking pretty good.

I started the event at 11:30 and soon found out that doing this on a set of TKC80's that had already been around Morocco and well past their best was a real stupid idea. This was only the start though. It wasn't long before the weather broke and it absolutely p*ssed down, along with thunder, lightening and hail stones (in July).

In some cases the extra water give a little extra much needed grip but in others it created whole new challenges.

The weekend as a whole, for me, was an eye opener, certainly the riding standard and difficulty was far higher than I expected, but the weather didn't help the difficulty.

There was a distinct lack of big bikes which I think is a real shame, its a brilliant opportunity to improve your riding skills and also ride in area's that you normally wouldn't be able to. Despite aching in places I didn't know existed it was a brilliant weekend, next one in Kielder Forest.

All I need now is some proper rubber. :)
AckAckFlack

Re: Big Bike Rally Challenge

Post by AckAckFlack »

Pictures pictures we need pictures
BBRR - Big Bike Rough Road Riders Group

It's all about how big it is and how Rough you use it :-)

The journey aimed to challenge the perception of blindness…

Usually People call me Sir... closely followed by 'You are making a scene!'
Morph

Post by Morph »

this20thread20is20useless20without20pichers.jpg
this20thread20is20useless20without20pichers.jpg (21.33 KiB) Viewed 2691 times
The lightest piece of kit is the one you leave behind...
Louisdut

Post by Louisdut »

Cool a few mates did the Ryedale Rally on 990adv's and 950 se's said it was very hard :ohmy: well done sounds like you enjoyed :)

Louis
Dysan

Post by Dysan »

A really cr&p HDR pic with the Iphone
IMG_0388.JPG
IMG_0388.JPG (61.25 KiB) Viewed 2691 times
Spot the odd one out.
IMG_0389.JPG
IMG_0389.JPG (62.86 KiB) Viewed 2691 times
After the sighting lap. Tea break required to compose myself.
IMG_0392.JPG
IMG_0392.JPG (63.81 KiB) Viewed 2691 times
Sorry not a lot of pics from the weekend. When you've got a couple of enduro wasps stuck behind you as you've blocked the trail, taking piccies is the last thing on your mind.

It was a hard weekend for me, I must have dropped the bike 15 times after front end wash outs and frankly did pretty sh!t. However it was an investigation, next will be a 16 tooth front and some much more aggressive tyres.

There are a couple of things I learnt.

1) It is quite amazing what these big bikes are capable of both in capable hands (my mate Pyndon who kicked a$$) and my less skilled approach. It went through, up and over things I would have never attempted on a standard trail ride.

2) A rear completely wrecked (3/4 used) TKC80 will still find a remarkable amount of grip, even on wet grass/mud with a small river flowing over it. It did really well, considering.

3) A front 1/4 used TKC80 is truly hopeless in real mud, it will not get hold of anything. I think I've figured out why but I'll bore you with a physics lesson another time.

Still, I enjoyed the challenge.
AckAckFlack

Post by AckAckFlack »

well done Dysan mate. I want to be there for your next one - I will bring several cameras while you concentrate on not dropping it.

Respex to you and Messr Pyndon
BBRR - Big Bike Rough Road Riders Group

It's all about how big it is and how Rough you use it :-)

The journey aimed to challenge the perception of blindness…

Usually People call me Sir... closely followed by 'You are making a scene!'
Mudwiz

Post by Mudwiz »

Well done!

The Ryedale is a fab event, with some awesome riding to be had. Quite long on Saturday too...

I still think the TKC is really a road tyre!!! :cheer:
beddowsm

Post by beddowsm »

Nice one Dysan.
Dysan

Post by Dysan »

Mudwiz wrote: I still think the TKC is really a road tyre!!! :cheer:
I'm used to riding rocky trails and have always found them ok for that. If I'm going to be doing more gloopy stuff I need to try something else.

Pyndon has just put an order in for a crate of D606's from the states, one of them has my name on it so I'll give them a go first.
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

Well done that man!

I have a hankering to do a big bike rally but it certainly won't be on the Tiger!

The only problem I was worried about is whether the CCM might actually be classed as an Sport bike (i.e. Enduro), but looking at www.bigbikerallychallenge.co.uk The 604e is classed as a "Trail/Rally bike :)

Now the next worry is am I good enough?, followed by am I fit enough? I know I'm certainly mad enough :woohoo: So I suppose it's the beginners class for me!

The Beacons Rally is only 6 weeks away :( Maybe the Hafren would be a better bet to pop my Rally Cherry ;)
Tony AKA MAD COW

KTM 1090 Adventure R

KTM 450 EXC Rally

MY BLOG

Return to “COMPETITIONS”