Big Bike Rally Challenge

Win free stuff
Mike54

Re: Big Bike Rally Challenge

Post by Mike54 »

Ironically Mr Rudiemoto is getting me some new pads for Friday.

I definitely need to play with the pressures in my front. 25 was squirelly as hell. 20 a little better but not much, it's the transfer from upright bike to leant over bike that the scariness occurs. And at speed on tarmac, hitting a line in the road you better go with it or have a bit of an issue :laugh:
michaelmy

Big Bike Rally Challenge

Post by michaelmy »

Any ideas for a better front tyre?
I am running a desert at 25psi on my 990 R and i had no front end grip on the ryedale battlefield

You need new brake pads and spare pads on every 2 day rally
Michaelmy in London

BMW R 80 G/S, Honda Monkey,

supporting TRF, Rallymoto events, MCC Long Distance Trials
Mike54

Post by Mike54 »

mefo mx master is really good, but to be perfectly honest when it's so muddy on a heavy bike I suspect anything will be a struggle really..maybe try 20 psi first?

you could do worse than have a chat to gwyn at treleborg tyres. he runs an HP2 and My 630 is shod with tyres from him (mitas ef07) and they're very aggressive, though the downside is that they do tend to kick up a lot of roost even on part throttle ;-)

By the way Michael, I have a strong suspicion that we have something in common (the letters FSI).
Mad Cow

Post by Mad Cow »

Michael

You must have missed the fact that NOBODY had any front wheel grip at the Ryedale :laugh:

I was chatting to one guy that reckoned his Michelin AC10 was performing OK in the gloop?

And as for brake pads, I put a new set in the rear before setting off for Yorkshire, by Saturday evening all i had left were two backing plates, no pad material left at all!!!

The fronts survived a lot better having done (half) the Sprint Rally, The Keilder and the Rydale, there's still a bit of pad left.

The difference?

The rears were £6.99 "Rhino Pads" off ebay, the fronts £20 EBC HH sintered pads (actually road pads as EBC don't do an "off road" compound anymore) so it looks like you definitely get what you pay for.

And my rear sprocket is well and truly shagged, so It looks like I might need new chain and sprockets before the Beacons too :S

And Mike54, Trellborg Army Specials are great at roosting too....

I discovered this when Dash attempted to "clear his back tyre" by the liberal application of throttle whilst riding through some of the snotty bits....

Whilst I was right behind him :whistle:
Tony AKA MAD COW

KTM 1090 Adventure R

KTM 450 EXC Rally

MY BLOG
michaelmy

Big Bike Rally Challenge

Post by michaelmy »

Mike54 wrote:mefo mx master is really good, but to be perfectly honest when it's so muddy on a heavy bike I suspect anything will be a struggle really..maybe try 20 psi first?

you could do worse than have a chat to gwyn at treleborg tyres. he runs an HP2 and My 630 is shod with tyres from him (mitas ef07) and they're very aggressive, though the downside is that they do tend to kick up a lot of roost even on part throttle ;-)

By the way Michael, I have a strong suspicion that we have something in common (the letters FSI).
Mike54
Contact me at [email protected]
I tried 20 and flatted a rim at kielder, but you are right i should hsbe lowered for the mudfest at ryedale

Seems like a good clutch is key to a 990 as cuscarscan and malteser dnf'd and also gold and not red ebc rear pads lasted
Michaelmy in London

BMW R 80 G/S, Honda Monkey,

supporting TRF, Rallymoto events, MCC Long Distance Trials
moly

Post by moly »

have you tried michelin deserts they are a good hard wearing tyres ???????
Big Bike Rally Challenge

www.bigbikerallychallenge.co.uk

Certified ACU Offroad Instructor
Dysan

Post by Dysan »

michaelmy wrote:
Mike54 wrote:mefo mx master is really good, but to be perfectly honest when it's so muddy on a heavy bike I suspect anything will be a struggle really..maybe try 20 psi first?

Mike54
Contact me at [email protected]
I tried 20 and flatted a rim at kielder, but you are right i should hsbe lowered for the mudfest at ryedale

Seems like a good clutch is key to a 990 as cuscarscan and malteser dnf'd and also gold and not red ebc rear pads lasted
If you're running the stock rims they are made from cheese and always end up bent. Running 17psi in mine with a 1.85 excel rim, much better.

Did the 2 990's blow clutches? I must admit I think I was stressing it on mine, wished I'd come with the bigger rear sprocket. Still, I found it really touch and retired so hats off to anyone who finished the lot on a big bike.

Return to “COMPETITIONS”