Amiens Mossie Raid Graphical story

Found a great video then post it up here. It doesn't have to be about bikes.
bikenav

Amiens Mossie Raid Graphical story

Post by bikenav »

This guy does excellent stuff I dont know how accurate the stuff is but it makes for good viewing, 8 mins long. I imagine many of us writing and reading here like to do things with a little adrenaline kick, can you imagine flying in one of those wooden wonders, not making light of their job in any way, but when you hear the interviews of crews who did this kinda stuff the majority did appear to enjoy it to some degree.
A bike connection if needed to make it relevant many of us pass near Amiens on our little adventures if you head in to the town you can view one of the walls and see the repaired part today, nice town to wander around for on an evening stopover too.
gbags

Re: Amiens Mossie Raid Graphical story

Post by gbags »

Good find.

Thanks
Richard Simpson Mark II

Post by Richard Simpson Mark II »

This

https://www.amazon.com/Amiens-Raid-Secr ... 0955473527

Is an interesting book with a lot of the back-story.
Jak*

Post by Jak* »

Thanks for that an interesting clip. I remember visiting the Mosquito museum just off the M25 years ago and being amazed at how fragile those things were. There is a lot to see in that part of France, I tend to pass it all by on my way to and from the ferry, but a few years ago we took the kids and stayed in that area for a week. The Cité souterraine de Naours is definitely worth a visit if you are near Amiens.
Richard Simpson Mark II

+ 1 on the museum.

The Mosquito has to be one of the most ingenious pieces of aeronautical engineering ever. In terms of cost v effectiveness it has to be the best military aircraft ever built.

Here's a review, delivered by one Herman Goering.

It makes me furious when I see the Mosquito. I turn green and yellow with envy. The British, who can afford aluminum better than we can, knock together a beautiful wooden aircraft that every piano factory over there is building, and they give it a speed which they have now increased yet again. What do you make of that? There is nothing the British do not have. They have the geniuses and we have the nincompoops. After the war is over I’m going to buy a British radio set – then at least I’ll own something that has always worked.
Hall

Post by Hall »

https://www.peoplesmosquito.org.uk/ planning to restore and fly a mossie
Aka "jkay"
Paul_C

Post by Paul_C »

I've long been interested in the Mosquito. A few years ago I bought the Airfix 1/24 model. 600+ parts I've been working on it for some time. Not helped by the fact that I'm what might be called an occasional model maker, I'd rather be out riding bikes. My first attempt at weathering too. That said, this is my progress so far. Another few years and I might actually finish it.
Just along for the ride.
Husqvarna 901 Norden. Husqvarna 701 Enduro. Moto Guzzi LeMans II.
chunky butt

Post by chunky butt »

Enjoyed that bikenav, great find. Cheers
bikenav

Post by bikenav »

your patience staggers me looks good to me, seen thousands of models over the years in various museums dont tell anybody but I am a bit of an anorak for military stuff especially the flying ones. they are finishing up a big one here https://www.lincsaviation.co.uk/ unfortunately dont think it will ever fly. Went to take a look last year as it happens and chop a bit of grass down between here and there with the Bmer cylinders, nice little trip actually . seem to have lost most of my pics from that trip, have to go back and get some more.
IMG_20200822_112636.jpg
IMG_20200822_112636.jpg (107 KiB) Viewed 1827 times
DSCN0166.JPG
DSCN0166.JPG (163.31 KiB) Viewed 1827 times
On a side note 8 of the local boys? from over that way went over me yesterday they spent an hour or so making a right racket on the Pembrey bombing range. 4 F15E's from Lackenheath they were, I wer'nt jealous one little bit. Its very rare to see them doing any serious low level stuff around me anymore, I dont like loud bikes much any more but i quite easily put up with a bit of Jet action .
Richard Simpson Mark II

Paul_C wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:38 pm I've long been interested in the Mosquito. A few years ago I bought the Airfix 1/24 model. 600+ parts I've been working on it for some time. Not helped by the fact that I'm what might be called an occasional model maker, I'd rather be out riding bikes. My first attempt at weathering too. That said, this is my progress so far. Another few years and I might actually finish it.

1/24....did you have to put up a house extension before you started?

How big will it be when finished...the detail is incredible.

Return to “VIDEOS”