For those thinking about buying a Drone!

Found a great video then post it up here. It doesn't have to be about bikes.
LL&T

For those thinking about buying a Drone!

Post by LL&T »

Hello all,

Just thought I would post some footage from a drone we bought a month or so back. Its a DJI Spark drone.

We opted for the spark for a couple of reasons; it's tiny and we intend to take it away with us on the bike (fits into tank bag perfectly) and after I realised I could also upscale the footage to 4k then it seemed the deal for us.

The footage isn't that long guys because it was only the second or third time using it! Took it out yesterday to try all the other features and I LOVE it, especially the track mode or whatever it's called. Got some great footage of it following/tracking me and the wife on the bike!

Cheers
Darren
videoman

Re: For those thinking about buying a Drone!

Post by videoman »

Hi Darren,

Great video and just wondered what you used to film your walk. I have been thinking of buying a drone to fly with my grandson and I am very impressed with the in flight footage from yours.

Thanks for posting.
garyboy

Post by garyboy »

what camera is that, Darren ... it looks really high quality?
Gary. :)

((go pro session? ))
Andi_Archer

Post by Andi_Archer »

Looks excellent Darren really like the video though you should be careful regarding using the drone over private land
LL&T

Post by LL&T »

Cheers for the replies guys, to answer the questions;

- Filmed the walk using the GoPro Hero Five with the following setting; 1080 resolution with 30 frames per second. I think the GoPro is excellent as that was filmed straight out of the camera with no after "edit`" work

- Drone is: DJI Spark. Again filmed straight out of the on board camera. One thing I will mention thought is I had the "gimbal" setting on a low (slow) as possible

- Good point about flying to close to stuff such as historic building and the like. That piece wasn't as close as you would think as I did a fair bit of work (trickery) in post edit.

Cheers for the comments guys.

Darren
LL&T

Post by LL&T »

garyboy wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:36 am what camera is that, Darren ... it looks really high quality?
Gary. :)

((go pro session? ))
Cheers for the reply Gary and have replied on the thread.

Cheers again

Darren
LL&T

Post by LL&T »

Andi_Archer wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:41 am Looks excellent Darren really like the video though you should be careful regarding using the drone over private land
Cheers for the reply and yes you are right about flying to close to stuff. I did a bit of work (post edit trickery) to make it look close!

Cheers again for the reply, appreciate it.

Darren
JJay51

Post by JJay51 »

If you do intend to get a drone then please at all times as is practical follow this basic guide

http://dronesafe.uk/drone-code/

Also download the following app that will tell you where it is legal to fly and shows clear boundaries of restricted airspace and ground hazards around you.

Android version
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... t&hl=en_GB

IOS version
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/nats-dr ... 16055?mt=8

FYI - National Trust doesn't allow taking off or landing of drones on their land and will prosecute, same applies to CADW and English Heritage sites
though they do not own the airspace above.

The last thing that is needed at the moment is any kind of bad press because someone with too much money decides to buy one and try to be clever getting 'cool' shots next to landmarks or giving it to their ten year old kid to mess about with.

You can also download this app to let you know if the conditions are good to fly -

https://www.uavforecast.com

If you purchase a DJI drone get ready for constant firmware and software updates to both the drone and controller and phone/tablet device you use for the app required to fly.
LL&T

Post by LL&T »

Hi JJay51,

Cheers for the advice all correct with the exception of if you apply for; Limited Flight Space at Governed Hight and Time through your local National Trust property then this is permitted, happy to ping over the proof if needed. Also not sure if the comment about "for those with to much money" was aimed at myself, if so then please be assured I work very hard and saved my pennies for six months to buy the drone..

I am not trying to agitate or anything like that but just wanted to post and let you know you are right but permission is actually possible. I know this because my wife works at Chatsworth.

Cheers again

Darren
JJay51

Post by JJay51 »

No Darren the comment wasn't aimed at you :) just the way it is in general at the moment, i can see you're a seasoned vlogger so what better way to add that bit extra to your vids than by drone :)
Yes you can apply to get permission from NT but they usually want to charge a small fortune for the privilege and usually insist you have the relevant insurances etc. and normally only allow it if you hold a PFCO. (Permission for Commercial Operations)
I just wanted to add to your post that simplified drone ownership when in reality the restrictions are more than some people think should they choose to buy one and adhere to the guidelines of course.

By all means feel free to ping the info you have over :)

Return to “VIDEOS”